Has anybody seen or own THE JAZZ SINGER (1927) on LD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rachael B, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've been looking for this LD for many months. I know it exists, proably, because it's listed in Leonard Maltin's Movie & Video Guide as being available on LD. It could of been a DiscoVision title or more proably an 80's release. I don't really care. My LD player will play rotted discs. I want one. It's the last film for me to complete the AFI film challenge.
    I had it on my Tivo last spring but my father got sick and it got dumped bcause I wasn't home to mark it for saving. It's been on my Tivo wish list for months now. I've used Jeff's Used LD/DVD finder over and over. All I ever see is a blue zillion copies of that lame Neil Diamond re-make.
    It would make me feel better if somebody told me they had one and I didn't feel like I was searching for the holy grail. The truth, err, the disc is out there, somewhere, isn't it? Thanks for any respones or encouragement!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

2. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Sorry but no sign of the LD.
    Also, I took the time to search all of the Blockbusters in Knoxville (online of course) and nothing. There are a few stores in Indy that have it, for what that's worth. Maybe a tranfer could be requested?? I also looked at TMC and AMC and found no showings on the horizon.
    I know you would prefer LD quality, but maybe you could order the VHS for pretty cheap if it comes to down to it.
    I'm in a similar boat as there is only 1 copy of A Place in the Sun here in Indy, and no one has the DVD to rent, even Laser's Edge (sadly, not enough interest for them to rent it).

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks for the quick replys! Ya'll did all the work for me! I'm tired of looking. I think I'll breakdown and buy a copy on VHS. I hate the sound of that! I haven't bought a tape in atleast 5 years...! It's just not in my nature. Thanks again!!!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."

5. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

It definitely exists because my school had a copy on LD. Picture quality was quite good as I recall. Sound was merely okay, but clearly limited by the technology of the time. Actually it's worth noting that only parts of the film are talking, most of the story is told in silent-film style ie with intertitles, although the score was synchronized. I also recall it being part of an Al Jolson box set of LDs. I'd say it's worth tracking down.
    - Guy

6. Rich Strauss

Rich Strauss Stunt Coordinator

I own the LD box set. It is called "The Al Jolson Collection". It is MGM/UA # ML102552. I got it from Laser Exchange for $20 when they were closing out the MGM LDs. Not a bad deal for 8 movies! You might check to see if they have any left.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Thanks guys! I'm not getting the dreaded tape. I found the Collection on e-bay. I like old B & W films anyway....Thanks for all the help!
    ------------------