What's new

Has anybody noticed the change in the VW 'low ego emmisions' commercial? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I am talking about the commercial with men announcing ego inflating comments through a bullhorn. The third guy is in what looks like an exotic Italian automobile. The first time I saw the commercial the guy was saying, "Because mine is only yea big." Now he is saying, "Because I am overcoming my shortcomings."

Phil_L

Second Unit
Yes! I noticed this too. It's the guy in the yellow Dodge Viper. I've only seen the racier version later at night.

Kevin O

Agent
I believe the first guy says, "Because Daddy never hugged me." My personal favorite is, "Because I make more money than you."

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The VW ad is great. I think its was directly inspired by the South Park "cloud of smug" episode. :)

I've only seen the "making up for my shortcomings" episode. But it immediately reminded me of a time when a co-worker and I were standing by our cars in the building parking tower, shooting the breeze before heading home after a long day. Suddenly a bright red sports car came screaming around the corner, way too fast for the tiny area and the driver took the turn too wide, almost hitting us both. Then he came within inches of hitting row of parked cars as he over-corrected, and finally skidded around the ramp going to the next level down. As he vanished from sight my friend called after him: "Sorry about your penis!"

:)

Joe

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I find the commercial funny especially when I remember that NPR's Car Talk guys once said that the rudest drivers are VW drivers. They contended that such drivers really want a BMW, Mercedes, and the like but have can only afford a VW.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that makes sense, since only volkswagen drivers are the only ones who want nicer cars than they can afford.

CJ

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
VW drivers are cool. :P

I've only seen the 'shortcomings' one.

What does the blond say? She's the one that I can't make out.

I like the 'pimped' commercials better. :D

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I actually like this version better because it also implies the owner also has social shortcomings that owning said car tries to overcome. ;)

LewB

Screenwriter
I once saw a 'news segment' on a show like Dennis Miller or Bill Mahr show a picture of an exceptionally long stretch limo. The comment made was 'the man with the world's smallest penis arrived in town today' :laugh: :laugh:

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
They contended that such drivers really want a BMW, Mercedes, and the like but have can only afford a VW.

Hey I jsut went from a VW to a BMW

PIC is under my name.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
02' ish 330ci? Nice. Id love to have a new 5 series. Will have to wait though, I can barly afford my Taurus.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I just saw the commercial and must say: Isn't it egotistical to think that driving a VW makes you better than everyone else?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
if people actually think that, i suppose it would be. i drive a VW and just think i have a nice car, my ego isn't involved.

CJ

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Christ, sorry, I was only talking about the drivers in the commercial and it's message (and not actual VW drivers). In the commercial, they are trying to say that the people (in the VW) bought the car because they don't have issues (like the other drivers), which IMO, makes the woman (who through the megaphone out the window) a bit egotistical.

I'm not saying VW drivers have ego's, I'm just saying that the commercial is guilty of what it's boasting it isn't.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
mark, i wasnt implying that you said all vw drivers were egotistical, and i do agree with your statement that i quoted. of course it's egotistical to think youre better than others by the brand of car you drive, no matter which brand it is, and i think the ad is guilty of that.

CJ

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

"Because the more men notice me, the more I love myself."

Finally figured that one out after seeing it about 8 or 9 times.

(BTW, has anyone noticed the Mercury has replaced the vocal track on its theme song so that it now sounds like "It's my ride" - which is what it is supposed to be and less like "It's mor-ooooonn" :))

Regards,

Joe

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
02' ish 330ci? Nice. Id love to have a new 5 series.

Nope its an 04. I picked it up with Only 30K on it. They loaned me a 525Xi when IU have to have some work down ( Under warr. :) )It was nice but not as fun as my 330. and the I DRIVE was a royal pain in the ass to get used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks