Has anybody here purchased from Half.com?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Tubbiola, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Tom Tubbiola

Tom Tubbiola Stunt Coordinator

I bought a Klipsch RC-3 center channel back on December 5th. I'm still waiting for the order to be confirmed even though they have already charged my credit card. I can't find any direct contact info for half.com or the seller (electronics). Has anybody else had good or bad dealings through them?

Thanks,

Tom

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

My ex neighbor buys all her DVD's through Half.com, and she was very pleased with their prompt service, however with the DVD's, the discs themselves were guaranteed, but never arrived with the original covers.

Is this speaker used? if so I might consider NOT buying a used speaker online, if it is new, then as far as I know Half.com is prompt and respectable, but I do not have first hand experience with them though so, I just thought I'd let you know my neighbor always got her DVD's promptly and correctly, except no original covers.

3. Tom Tubbiola

Thanks Sean. The speaker is new and the seller has over 100 positive feedback reports. I didn't jump blindly so it's bugging me a little more that I haven't heard anything from the seller.

Oh well, I'll just wait and see. I can always dispute the transaction with the credit card company.

Tom

4. Sean Conklin

Well Tom it's only been a few days, give it a couple more days and hopefully will appear on your doorstep. They probably charge your card first and then ship it from a warehouse somewhere.

5. Tiffany A

Tiffany A Stunt Coordinator

Hi! I have purchased many cd's and dvd's through half.com. (They actually tell you the quality of this type of item on the listing.) I recall that it does take a few days to process your first order. I am extremely satisified with the quality and PRICE of the items that I have purchased.
    It is the HOLIDAY season, everything is moving slowly! And if your Seller has good feedback, I wouldn't worry! [​IMG]

6. Sean Conklin

Oh I didn't realize it was an e-bay type of site.

Well hang in there, Tiffany sure sounds pleased, so give it a little time.

Tiffany: Do your DVD's from Half.com come with the original covers?

7. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I've bought and sold hundreds of items from Half.com and never been burnt. Also, I've always gotten original covers on my items. Sometimes an item doesn't have it but if so the seller (usually) states that. Remember, you're ordering from a person, not a business; just like ebay.
    As far as shipping an item, some people are more prompt than others; hence the differences in people's quality ratings. Now, I've never had my credit card charged without first getting the confirmation email...that is strange...I'm wondering if you thought it was junk email and deleted it without reading it??
    The one time I didn't receive an item, I just followed half.com's dispute instructions and they credited my card. Actually, as a seller, I mistakenly listed a CD twice, sold it twice. When I went to mail it the second time, I realized I didn't have it so I emailed half.com to explain my mistake and they deducted it from my seller's account with them to credit the buyer.
    My point is the site is very up and up; the seller's should be judged on the feedback left by other buyer's. I'm happy to say my rating is 4.9 out of 5 [​IMG]

8. Tiffany A

Tiffany A Stunt Coordinator

Yes Sean! They were like Brand-New. I did select the copies that said "excellent condition". Half.com is also an excellent source for finding "OOP" stuff for a fabulous price.
    Gosh...wish someone would pay me the bucks they paid Shatner for Priceline.com endorcements! [​IMG]

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have bought 4 or 5 times from half.com and have had a good experience every time. They are indeed a good source for OOP CDs. I had bid $18 for an OOP soundtrack and was outbid on E-bay. I found it at half.com for $10.

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I've bought about 5 things from Half.com

In all but one purchase, things went smoothly and quickly. On one order, however, it took about 5-6 weeks before the item was delivered. The key is what type of shipping the seller uses. "Media Mail" must be the slowest form of shipping in existance. They say up to 30 days for Media Mail. Mine took at least 35 days. But it did finally show up in good shape.

As others have said, watch the sellers rating before you jump.

11. Tom Tubbiola

As a followup, in case anybody is watching to see how it turns out, half.com cancelled the order after the seller did not respond for a certain amount of time (5 days maybe?). I wasn't really upset with Half.com except for the fact that I couldn't find any contact info for the seller at all.
    Now back to shopping. [​IMG]

12. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

half.com is ebay's section for books, cds, videos and other small things. sometimes other stuff gets in there, but half.com and ebay are the same. FYI

Jon

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    if you look at my DVD list, i got about half of them from half.com (no pun intended [​IMG]). i almost always buy the DVDs "brand new factory sealed" to ensure good quality, and they are usually dirt cheap. i've had no problems buying or selling.

14. Sean Conklin

Thanks Tiffany!

Maybe my neighbor sought the cheapest DVD's she could find and just so happened never got a cover with them!

Sounds like I better check out half.com for some deals!

15. JohnThomas

JohnThomas Auditioning

Someone said "your buying from a person, not a Company, just like E-Bay. Well, maybe they're not Companys but when someone has 250 of something then I think it's more than an average Joe!