1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Has anybody heard a >$5k Pre/pro that can hang with a $1-2K 2 chan pre in 2chan only?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by chung_sotheby, Jun 11, 2003.

1. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I am just wondering if anybody has actually compared, side to side, one of their mid-priced pre/pros (like the Anthem, Krell, Arcam, Theta, B&K, etc.) with a 2 chan pre in 2 channel music mode only and honestly felt like the pre/pro sounded just as good? In my case, I have never heard a processor that has been able to compete in 2 channel with a 2 chan preamp costing 50-80% less than the pre/pro. I compared my SF Line 1 against an AVM20, and there was no contest. I have heard a Krell Showcase vs. a Musical Fidelity A3.2 CR, and the MF trounced the Krell in terms of soundstage, depth, clarity, etc. It seems like a hefty price to pay in some pre/pros just for the processing capability, when pure 2 channel sound can be had for much less. Just wondering. Any thoughts and/or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

I wouldn't call a >$5k prepro mid-priced but I do agree with your sentiment.
    The guys talking L7 and Trifield in the SACD/DVD-A thread will argue 2 channel music mode only isn't relevant with their prepros.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I don't know Chung, I guess it depends how you did your evaluations.

4. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

LOL@$5000 "mid priced"

5. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I don't know I may have heard it, but I agree with your assesment that it is awfully tough if not impossible for a processor to compete with a good 2 channel preamp. I am not quite sure about throwing around an 80% of cost number but I guess there are probably some cases where it might be so.

I always felt that my Theta Casa Nova was pretty good about acting as my DAC and volume control, and it was the best processor I had heard without getting into the stratospheric stuff. But upon purchasing a Granite Audio tube preamp and then having to rely on my DVD player's DAC's, I was shocked. I thought I would need to keep the Theta in the mix as the DAC, but it just wasn't even close as to how much better the Granite Audio was with 2 channel music. Ok it wasn't like ten times better, but in my way of judging sound it was much closer to the real thing. In fact my wife even noticed it without knowing I had changed any part of my system. These to pieces are closer to a 1.5:1 cost ratio however.

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I'm a bad boy and am going to mention something I haven't "heard". But, I have heard that EAD's do a wondrous job with two-channel on more than one occasion.

7. LarrySkelly

LarrySkelly Stunt Coordinator

I've bought a used Classe SSP-50 on Audiogon, hoping that it will do a credible job of 2-channel, along with its HT duties. Mind you the list when new was above $5K. Have not received it yet, will let you know my assessment.

8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I only have one comparison to judge by Chung, but my experience echos your own. I've pitted a Marantz AV9000, a Rotel RSP-1066, an Outlaw 950, and an Aragon Soundstage against my Rogue Audio 66 Magnum tube pre for 2 channel and it is indeed no contest. The Rogue trounces all of them handily. Soundstage, imaging, depth, liveliness, and musicality are all owned in a big way by the 66. This was a 2 channel only comparison, using no subwoofer and employing the 2 channel direct modes on the processors.

Perhaps spending upwards of $5K would net you a perfect all-in-one processor/preamplifier, but I don't think so. I'm now a firm believer in only using a processor for home theater duties and letting a quality 2 channel tube output stage preamp handle the music.

9. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

That's an easy one. The Bryston SP1.7.

It is their BP25 audiophile preamp with a 7.1 processor built around it.

I have heard it and (even though i am a dealer for many other brands - Krell, Theta, ATI, Integra, etc) I'm getting one for my own system.

10. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

You might ask Michael Mohrmann (in the Anthem AVM-20 thread)for more details about his comparsion of the Bryston SP1.7 to the AVM-20.

His conclusion was the Anthem AVM-20 sounded more musical as a 2-channel preamp than the SP1.7 did.

Myself, I haven't yet auditioned either.

11. John A. Casler

Searching through 58 pages of posts is a little tedious.

What speakers is he using for the comparison. I have heard the Anthem but not on my speakers. I wasn't "over" or "under" whelmed.

I have spent signifcant time with the BP25 on VMPS TRT/RM40s and I would suggest that the SP1.7 would be very hard to "beat". (but am open to the possibilities)

12. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

13. John A. Casler

14. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

15. John A. Casler

Thanks Michael for the link.

What speakers, and Amp did you use for your comparison?

(sorry about the ears ringing thing[​IMG] )

16. Michael Mohrmann

John,

17. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I'm impressed with the two channel sound of the Myryad MDP500 pre/pro. Stereophile was too and put it on their recommended list in the A category.

18. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Sorry IMHO, the Stereophile recommended list is like the fox guarding the hen house --- very questionable.

Not something I would ever use as part of a purchase decsion.

19. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

20. Michael Mohrmann

Craig,