Has anybody gone from a good sub to an Infinite Baffle?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DanielKellmii, Jan 27, 2005.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Is there anybody out there who has switched from a very good sub to a Infinite Baffle Sub? I just want to know what you thought.
    Thanks

2. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Just my opinion...But I want from a DIY using the PE Dayton DVC12 in a good, ported enclosure tuned to 22Hz. It had great kick and sound, but it caused too many problems with its placement (I had it mounted in my entertainment cabinet and so it limited my loudness ability...rattles and skipping). Still, when I moved to an IB using 4 15"s, I was very surprised by the improvement in sound quality. The bass just disappears now. With the other, I could always tell that the thump came from the sub. Now the bass blends very well with the whole sound...and there's tons more when needed [​IMG] A lot of the difference can be contributed to the different placement, I'm sure. But if you can do an IB, I say go for it!

3. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Your second question should be, has anyone went from a good sub to an IB and gone back. The answer is 99% NO, and in those small number of cases, it was probably a totally unideal room situation that drove them to try IB only to discover that the room was still the problem. I know ThomasW (moderator of the cult of the infinitely baffled forum) maintains that almost no one has ever gone back from an IB.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I can't comprehend going back to an expensive box or tube imposing in the room with the sound I get from my IB.

5. BrentCook

BrentCook Auditioning

Infinite Baffle? Isn't that the technology Bose uses? They use sophisticated computer programs to plan their baffle systems, though. I take it we are not talking about a DIY project.

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

8. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    An infinite baffle is a subwoofer design that uses a large barrier to seperate the front wave from the back wave when the cone moves. Usually this means mounting the drivers so that the rear fires into another room, closet or other large space. Bose certainly uses nothing even remotely resembling this technology.

Go here for more info. http://home.comcast.net/~infinitelybaffled/

9. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    If bose made an IB it would be 250 4" full range drivers and they wouldnt list any specs.

10. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Hey, could I use my A-hole brothers room as the 'cabinet'? [​IMG]

I would really like to do a IB sub.

11. DanielKellmii

Thanks. I am convinced. Now all I have to do if figure out the correct jewelry to project ratio. I know I get a benefit for the removal of the big ugly black box, but I am going to be spending a lot more on this than she thinks is logical. You wouldn't believe what I had to do for the RPTV.

12. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I would but my wife would kill me. "Hey honey, i'm going to cut out a big chunk of the wall and stick some big arsh speaker drivers in it." [​IMG] Yeah, she'd go for that.

[​IMG][​IMG] It would be bass heaven though.[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Guys, thanks, you are giving lots of great reasons to get married - or make sure she likes and apprecites good sound above all else [​IMG]

She also better like cars. Fast, expensive, small ones that use special oil and cannot go over speed bumps.

14. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

When I told my fiance I could get rid of the big sub box, she agreed before I even said another word.

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That's the generally held reaction. You end up getting rid of the "box" or "tube" subs altogether, it makes for a significantly cleaner looking install, generally with a very high WAF. I use a HVAC 18"x18" cold air return grate for my IB sub and it looks like nothing is there.

And usually, these types of subs are significantly less expensive than a box or tube type sub with even close to the performance of the IB. I did mine on a serious budget, two drivers: $220, old Crown amp dug up from a friends's basement: free, a 1" thick sheet of plywood: about $20 (I think), wires about $30, 18"18"cold air return grtate: about $10, smile on my face: priceless! Read the links at the Cult of the Infinitely baffled for more inspiration. Once you've had IB you'll never want to go back to a box or tube again.

16. DanielKellmii

Phill, how did you hook up the amp to the speakers and how far away is the amp from the speakers?

17. Morgan_

Morgan_ Stunt Coordinator

oooooh, me wanna do that next..... I'm off to see the wizards, the wonderful IB Wizards!!![​IMG]

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Originally I hooked it up with one channel each of the stereo amp going to each speaker. However, I then learned that one of those channels on the amp is blown, so I hooked up the two 15" speakers parallel so that they are presenting the amp with a 4 ohm load on the good side only. I think the old Crown can handle it. My manifold is right behind my right speaker in the room. The amp is the same distance from the speakers as my receiver is from the mains. About 25 feet.