What's new

Has Anybody Figured This Out? (1 Viewer)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
My excitement on receiving a brand new DVD is always offset by the frustration I feel trying to remove the security wrapping without damaging the case underneath. I on many occasions have marred the plastic film with my fingernail trying to catch the tab to peel it away. Does anyone out there share in my frustration. Perhaps somebody can give me some pointers. Maybe there is a better way. HELP!

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Jebus... like any sensible man I use a knife and cut right down the middle of the strip where the case opens. End of story. You figure out the rest.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i do not share this frustration.
i simply do the same thing magnus does.
use a knife right down the middle of the opening and everything peels off from there.

must be you drew, sorry.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, what Magnus said. Knife or scissor blade down the middle, open case, then peel away from center.

:)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Yeah Drew... anyone reading this thread by now should be agreeing with everyone else. Although I think a box cutter is a bit extreme. You should switch to the katana blade Kyle.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Drew, I 'll confess, I have the same problem. I think we got lucky a few times and developed a bad habit (trying to just peel the tabs off). I noticed the other night that I never try this with CDs, I just do what everyone above says - split it in the middle.

Michael Qualen

Stunt Coordinator
Buy the Kill Bill japanese box and get the Hattori Hanzo katana and use that to open the DVD´s

(U might wanna sharpen the katana a bit though):D

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Believe me, I've thought of using the knife method. I'm very anal about stuff and was worried that I might damage the plastic case if I slipped or even worse cut my hand! And while we're on the subject, those black security gizmos that they paste inside the case piss me off. While they easily peel away if accessible, you can't get to them when they are placed inside beneath the clear plastic case on multi-pack releases. There they ruin the sleek and otherwise cool appearance. Maybe it's time for Prozac. LOL.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with everyone else but would add... do it slowly. Having opened/cut it on the top you'll only have a problem if the sleeve is above the plastic level and is stuck to the security lable (I've had that a couple of times) or if you're a bit aggressive pulling it off and you take the corner of the sleeve off from the edge of the box (I only did that once!) And yes the inside black stickers can be a pain, especially when they are stuck on the cardboard rather than the plastic :angry:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I have no problems just using my fingernails and a little patience. Otherwise, I'd recommend an X-acto knife used by layout artists, and then peel away from the center of the cut.

But, yes, three strips of the security tape seems a bit excessive.

Terry St

Second Unit
The only time I ever have problems is if the insert has crept up above the plastic of the keep-case and is in direct contact with the glue of the security label. (I order a lot of DVD's online, so I can't check for this in the store unfortunately. :frowning:)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The security seals that make me madder are the ones Warner uses on snappers; y'know, the ones that you can't peel off in one piece no matter how hard you try?

Dave Farley

Second Unit

There is an easy solution. Use the "cut down the center of the labels with a knife" method used above. Find out which of the four sides is above the plastic and under the sticker label. Take the sticker off on the opposite end of the bad area. In other words, if the top side of the front cover art is out from under the cover, take off the sticker on the bottom first. Stick two fingers under there and carefully and slowly pull the artwork downward until the top side is out from under the sticker. Then take off the sticker and your cover art is undamaged.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Ditto, knife along the case seam at the top, side and sometimes bottom of the box and some careful peeling does the trick every time.

Snappers are (to me) actually easier because the plastic case sits higher than the cardboard so all you have to do stick a pen or any pointed object under the exposed seal and carefully pry it up, then just slide your finger along the seam and voila.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

no but it is easy to forget that sarcasm is not able to be read.
you really need to hear the persons voice to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks