What's new

Has anybody figured out the remedy for dust? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Just curious if someone has stumbled on a good way to control this evil stuff...in the middle of a hot dry summer, has anyone come up with a brilliant idea?
Thanks for your suggestions
Jeremy

Hubert

Second Unit
All I do is take a new paint brush and use it to wipe the dust off my equipmet once every 3 days. I'm anal about dust particles getting on my equipment. As for stopping dust altogether, don't even try it. You'll never stop dust. To get dust out of components I take off the top cover and use a vacuum with a soft brush attachment and gently clean dust particles off heats sinks and other internal components. But if you try it, be very careful and do it gently.
As I said, I'm extremely anal about keeping my equipment clean, and most people will probably think I'm nuts for cleaning my equipment the way I do.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Well, yes. Air filtration units.
Before the dust lands on your equipment or in fact any surface, it spends time in the air. If you filter that air continually, you also lower the amount of dust that is in circulation.
------------------
/Kimmo

TimS

Grip
I use "endust" for electronics. Its a spray that cleans and keeps dust off better then not using anything. It's not a magic bullet to eliminate dust completely, but it is definitely better then not using anything. I use this in combination with a "duster", not a feather one, but a synthetic one, like once a week. If I don't use the end dust then I have to dust something like four times a week to keep the same cleanliness level. Let me know if you have any other questions.
------------------
All the worlds a stage some of us just have better seats.

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
I use an air filter to keep dust at a reasonable level, and dust 'bout once a week (at least my HT gets the dusting).
I keep the top of my SVS covered when not in use. To remove cover, just turn on
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Massimo N on July 15, 2001 at 07:29 AM]

Thomas_A

Second Unit
using a higher quality air filter with Your A/C unit helps a lot too. they have them at walley world and home depot- they are about 6.50 a pop and last 3 months- i still change mine about every other month...but it realy keeps the amount of dust down..and after you change your first one..you may be surprised...how black the filter is...
I dust also..but since I have been using the filters... about 50% less
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
There is a clear dust proof winner, just that 99.9% of us could never afford it or would care to.
Some of you may have seen or heard of this stuff allready....
NASA has a product that is a clear see threw substance called FOMBULIN... Do not know if they invented it or some other company or corp did. What exactlly it was used for slips me at this time. Something dealing with electronics and space....
Anyway, remember seeing a demo on this stuff, showing a clear tank allowing you to see inside. They then fill this thing with FOMBULIN and start droping electronic components into this (crystal clear) stuff.
What, yes they were pugged in!!!
Even a TV, and all function as if they where on dry land. This stuff allows anything electronic to work as normal with no damage while submerged in this stuff.
So pick yourself up a couple clear tanks large enough for your equipment racks, and then get a hold of NASA ad grab a few hundred gallons of FOMBULIN and your all set. So, see :),, there is something out there, but if this dosnt apeal to you, I guess we will just stick to Endust for our electronics, canned air, room fitration, clean-good quailty home furnace filters,(one that will make a noticable difference), vacume and soft brush. Or call NASA....
[Edited last by Geoff L on July 15, 2001 at 09:47 AM]

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Like Thomas said, the 3M "Filtrete" brand of filters (if you have a forced-air ventilation system) cut way down on the dust in the air.
Also, SWIFFER baby! These things pick up dust VERY well, with no residue to worry about.
We use these two things, and our house has a very low dust level, compared to most other homes we've been in.
Keep in mind, that over half the dust in the air in your home is from dead human skin cells, and there's not much you can do about that. :)
Todd

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well you could scoure yourself down every morning and require everyone who entires your house to do the same
tongue.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I use cans of compressed air to blow the dust off. It works great, and you can find at any computer or auto parts store.
------------------
No Soup For You!

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,
I use canned air also..It really helps to get into the cracks and tight spots that normally can't be reached.
------------------
Trevor
Link Removed
Equipment List updated
New digital pictures!
June 12,2001

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys,
Some great suggestions. I do use Swiffers...Costco box of 64 wipes, just $7.99! They do work well...but not until after the dust settles. Unfortunately (or furtonately) in Alaska, we don't use air conditioning systems, as the highest temps you'll see (very rarely) above 70. I am curious about an air filtration system though. Is there a system I could pick up at Home Depot or Wal Mart that will do a reasonable job...say under $500?
Has anyone tried the air-ionizers? I looked at these at a gadget shop down in Honolulu. Specifically, they are made to ionize the air particles...odor, smoke, pet smells, etc.
But no significant mention of dust elimination.
My wife and I are looking at homes (and have been for several months) but with rates down, the prices are VERY high....we may end up waiting til next summer. The place we're living in now, has a major road construction project going on in front of our place and for about a mile on both sides. This is contributing to a significant amount of dust this summer.
If there is a decent air ionizer or filtering system available (again, not a/c) for less than $500, that will cut the dust yield even by 50%, I'm interested. If not, I will continue using canned air and Swiffers. It's quite a bit cheaper.
I'm close to as anal as you Hubert. I dust nightly the components that I can reach...but last night, I noticed the bunnies behind the racks and entertainment center. I cleaned back there less than 3 months ago, and it looks awful! It's a major project to pull everything out just to dust the interconnects and cords...but it may be necessary.
Thanks again for your suggestions, and if anyone's run across a good filtration system, please give me the make and model and I'll give it a shot.
Jeremy

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Air ionizers do not elimite dust, in fact they attract it. My grandparents have two (my grandpa smokes cigars). One of them plugs directly into the socket like a big glade plug-in, and there is a THICK layer of dirt on the socket plate. The other, bigger one also has a very dirty grill all the time. My grandparents are pretty well off, so I would guess that these are pretty expensive units. After what I have seen, I would never allow an ionizer in my house. Other your milage may vary.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
There is actually something out that ive been looking to pick up for my home theater. They are plug in air filters for like $20 and refills like $5 or something which came out a few months back, but all the stores are out of them around here. Im hoping to find them eventually
capt

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,
I didn't think you would have a forced-air heating system up there. Probably a heavy duty wood stove?
Anyway, if you have Costco around, mine sells some fairly large air purifiers, made by Honeywell. The big one, which is for a large room, is about $130. Basically, it's a big fan, with a HEPA(High Efficiency) filter stuffed in it. That will clean the air.
Todd
P.S. Are you from Alaska? What sort of work keeps you there?
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on July 15, 2001 at 08:52 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Todd,
I saw those a couple of weeks ago at Costco. Are you using one? Maybe I'll pick one up and see what happens.
I've been in Alaska for 20 years. Dad works for Arco (now Phillips Petro) so we came up in the early 80's. I graduated up here and have completely fallen in love with the state.
I work for Clear Channel Communications as a program director for a Rock station....been doing radio in town for the last 10 years. We're maybe 1 for 5 in recruiting talent from the states that actually stay and enjoy it :)
As long as they want to keep me here, my wife and I are very happy. Great place to raise kids, no sales tax, no state income tax, and we get an oil royalty payout each year just for living here! It's the Alaska Permanant Fund.
Not to mention, it's beautiful...the landscape, mountains, and ocean! It's also relatively mild weather-wise. Very similar to Montana (where I grew up), North Dakota, Minnesota, etc. Anchorage is right on the ocean, so the mean temp in the winter is around 20 degrees...very rarely will it get below 0. The further north you go (Fairbanks), the worse the extremes can get (-65 in the winter, +95 in the summer).
BTW, the heating system in my current 4plex is baseboard heating...pretty ancient, built in '75. Thanks for the idea at Costco. I looked at those, but they didn't say much of what they were for on the outside box.
Jeremy

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Anyway, remember seeing a demo on this stuff, showing a clear tank allowing you to see inside. They then fill this thing with FOMBULIN and start droping electronic components into this (crystal clear) stuff. Even a TV, and all function as if they where on dry land. This stuff allows anything electronic to work as normal with no damage while submerged in this stuff.
Does an IR remote work through the stuff? :)
------------------
"Today is a good day to die." ...Old Lodge Skins

Charbel

Agent
Be careful with the Hepa filter`s sound level. The filters themselves are great but when I bought mine about 4 years ago they made quite a bit of noise, especially on the highest setting. It did`nt really bother me but if YOU use it for your equipment you may need quiet. BTW I also have the Ionic Breeze Quadra, that is the "silent" type. they are pricey though. $350. They ARE a filter but do not have an actual replacable throwaway filter. You just slide "blades" up and wipe them clean of the dust. IMO I would think the HEPAs would do more of actual dust filtering filtering.

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with those who suggest a high quality air-filter; and would add to that occasional use of a small, handheld vacuum-cleaner (dust-buster type). Compressed air tends to blow at least some of the dust INTO the unit, as do dust rags and even (to a lesser extent) swiffers.
Marty

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks