What's new

Has anybody compared upconverted PQ between HD-DVD and SD upconverting players? (1 Viewer)

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Sofar I have not been impressed with non HD players upcoverted PQ. The images just looked too soft and lacked too much detail for my taste. I'm curious if the Hd-DVD player does a much better job. Anbody compare them yet?

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
I've never been impressed either until now.

I had (well still have... didn't put it on ebay yet) the Zenith 318 upscaler and HTPC... neither did much for SD DVD really (H78DC3 720p PJ). It just was blah and looked marginally better than feeding it 480p from the same or different source (xbox 360 too currently hooked up).

OTOH the HD-A1 changes all of that.

It's upconverting is IMPRESSIVE :)

It's not a psychosomatic effect (my HD-A1 cost about $375 thansk to Cont. Rewards) or wishful thinking. It's no wonder alot of guys reportedly sold their pricy Denon players units. :)

YMMV

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I heard the Sony Blu-Ray player's upconversion for SD-DVD was good but the Samsung is not a good upconversion player. I think Samsung got the short end of the stick on upconversion because they just simply have not made a decent upconversion player period.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
That's good to hear since I bought the Toshiba Thursday and have yet to open it since I refuse to buy HD-DVDs at the moment. I plan on renting thru blockbuster.com or maybe even netflix with the free trial offer included. ;)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I've had the Oppo, the Denon 1920 and still own the Zenith DVB-318. The Toshiba smokes them all on upconversion. A friend watched STAR TREK VI at my house last night, using the Toshiba, and he asked me twice "Are you sure this isn't high definition?". And he has a high def set and watches HD on cable all the time, so he has some idea of what good quality looks like. He couldn't believe how good the picture was.

Pete T C

Second Unit

The Toshiba HD-A1 has the best standard DVD upconversion of any player released to date.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD

Well that's strange because if you have a HTPC you can get great results. Because everything is tweak-able and you can do many things to the image. Personally I have recently made my first HTPC and I'm completely amazed by the result. The upconverted DVDs combined with the right filters give an amazing image that I never in my dreams thought possible from a DVD source! It's like Larry's story, sometimes I feel like I'm watching HD material!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Each day I find it hard to fight the temptation to get one as oppose to waiting. I just hope that the quality of the upconversion on the HD players will carry over to the next generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks