What's new

Has anybody compared Onkyo HT-S760 to other set-ups (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I am just curious. I have never really owned anything that is supposed to be a quality sound system. Has anybody out there had an Onkyo HT-S760 and compared it to other home theater systems/separates that are considered better? What do you think? Maybe somebody out there upgraded or have this as there second system....
Just curious.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
I had it and upgraded to JBL Northridge all the way around. It's a good starter system but the bug got me quick. Only thing left is the receiver. If you're budget is $500 then there's not alot of options. The speakers are big and ugly. I'd prolly save up for other options if I had it to do again. There are other $500 options available as well. PE Dayton sub for around $125. $200 refurbished receiver. That's $325. Not sure. Read some posts on $500 systems. You might be able to better for $500 but it would be tough. For $1000 there are alot of options.

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
I sell that at circuit city (:frowning: ) and I lead people over to that above the sonys. good starter system, the sub is decent, but if you would decide to get that, upgrade the speaker wire. They give you fishing line.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
The first thing I did was upgrade the speaker wire. And yes, it is ugly. U-G-L-Y ugly. I am going to paint the speakers (minus the grill) the same color as my living room. Hopefully, that helps. If not, I will upgrade to in-wall speakers and a infinite baffle sub.
She complains, I fix, we are both happy. (Until the American Express comes.)

Chuck_W

Second Unit
Though I don't have the 760 system, I did buy the Onkyo speaker package that comes with it (6.1 package). I picked up the Pioneer 912 receiver since I was completely new to this and liked the auto-calibration. It's been 4 months now, and I do think the speakers are an outstanding value for the $179 I paid, but I'm ready for an upgrade.

Scott*B - which Northridge speakers did you get? How do each of them compare to the Onkyos? Did you upgrade your sub as well? Comparison?

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
E90's for the front
EC25 center channel but took back and upgraded to EC35. Biggest upgrade I've ever done in HT period. The EC35 is one awesome center channel.
E10 surrounds
E250P subwoofer

The Onkyo's really can't compare to the JBL's. I liked the Onkyo's for what the were, which is a entry level cheap system. My room is fairly large at 16x25 and the Onkyo's never really gave me the sound I had hoped for in a system. The JBL's really shine in this room. I'm not an audiophile but I have been extremely pleased with them especially the EC35. I suspect when I'm able to upgrade my Onkyo 510 receiver to something a little more powerful I'll again get a surprise in what these speakers can do as I'm guessing the Onkyo is prolly doing all it can just to push these puppies.

The E250P subwoofer has been a pleasant surprise as well. This thing really rocks. Very accurate with no BOOM. Really shakes the couch and walls. Very happy with it.

Billy K

Auditioning
I have nearly the same setup, couldn't be happier with the JBL northridge series!! I live in an apartment and they even sound great at low volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks