Has any person built Dipole surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimGregis, Dec 9, 2002.

1. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

I have been looking for information and have come up short. Just wondering if there is a how to someplace online I could use as a reference.
    Thanks.

2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Hmm, what's to know? Two drivers, one wired reverse phase to cause an on-axis diffuse soundfield due to the massive comb filtering.

GM

3. TimGregis

TimGregis Extra

Well, yes. But I was wondering if anyone had examples I could use. What type of speakers, sizes, exct.

4. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

Oh! Sorry, don't know of any. You said 'how to', and basically all you do is design a dual ~fullrange driver speaker with each driver on a ~7.5deg baffle and wire one reverse phase. If you want more BW and/or power handling, then add a pair of tweeters, with one wired reversed phase.

Using the same drivers as your mains or CC seems like a good place to start.

GM

5. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook version 6 has the design for some fairly inexpensive bipoles using Audax drivers in very small boxes. Someone on another board said they sounded wonderful.

6. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I built the Speaker City T62 dipoles. I bought the drivers/crossovers and they gave me the outside dimensions of the cabinets, so I built them myself. I really like the triangular design and they've gotten lots of compliments.
    http://www.speakercity.com/ht_rear.shtml