What's new

Has any actor turned out to age the way they appear in a movie? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the rather convoluted title. I'll try to explain with an example. I was watching the new DVD of Citizen Kane (phenomenal restoration job, BTW) and I realised that when they made Orson Welles (playing Kane) look old, he looked nothing like he did when he really did grow old. This made me realise that I've never seen an actor in an older movie who has been made to look old who actually looked that way when they became old in real life. Can anyone think of an exception to this rule?

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Marlon Brando in The Godfather, to a certain extent. He looked exactly the same nearly 20 years later in The Freshman.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I'm still holding out hope for Crispin Glover and Leah Thompson from Back to the Future.
wink.gif

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I'm still holding out hope for Crispin Glover and Leah Thompson from Back to the Future.
Haha! :)
I'm still waiting for Mira Sorvino & Lisa Kudrow to hit 90.
(Yes, I saw Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. And, I'm sorry.)
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 10 OF 2001

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
In the book The Entertainment Weekly Guide To the Greatest Movies Ever Made, there's a list called "Seems Like Old Times" with actors who eventually looked their older selves from previous films.
Charlton Heston in The 10 Commandments
All 3 of Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour and Bing Crosby in Rode to Utopia
Orson Welles in Citizen Kane (a stretch even looking at the pictures)
Joseph Cotten in CK (not such a stretch)
Sam Jaffe in Lost Horizon
Marlon Brando in the Godfather
Bette Davis in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane
and a few others.
[Edited last by Greg Yurkovic on September 21, 2001 at 02:09 PM]

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Lee J. Cobb. He started in films in his early 30s playing older looking men. By the time he made his last film he actually caught up to his "older man" movie personna.
------------------
[Edited last by Peter Kline on September 21, 2001 at 04:29 PM]

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
He had one in the sixties, too.
tongue.gif

------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've got one that beats em all! Max Von Sydow as Father Merrin in The Exorcist, he looks now, just like the way he looked in that film with the makeup!
eek.gif

------------------
GOD BLESS THE USA and GOD BLESS THE MEN AND WOMAN OF OUR MILITARY AND THEIR FAMILIES!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Max Von Sydow in The Exorcist is a great example.
The old-age make-up of Robin Williams in "Bicentennial Man" looked pretty realistic without being overdone...I think this is how Robin Williams will look 40-50 years from now.
------------------
Link Removed

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
One of my father's favorite films was The List of Adrian Messenger which featured many actors in heavy aged makeup. I recognized almost all of them immediately because they all looked like real life when I saw it,not realizing they were young at the time the movie was made and movie audiences generally didn't recognize them. There are too many to mention here but the IMDB lists them.Kirk Douglas is the most obvious one.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Look at Sean Connery today, and compare it to how James Bond looks today! They look so different it's pathetic.
rolleyes.gif

TimW

Agent
It's kind of amazing that Angela Landsbury has always looked to be in her 60s or so(without makeup). Remember The Manchurian Candidate?
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks