Has america lost it's movie going mind?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_Standley, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I just saw that Steve Martin's Bringing down the house made almost $32 MILION over the last weekend and made me wonder. Has america lost it's movie going mind? Why do we have a load of crap movies coming out lately. Not just your basic crap movies that are to be expected but really bottom of the barrell caliber flicks. And why is america quick to go see them. Chris Rock who im a big fan of has a movie such of this caliber coming out soon. This movie im refering to is "head of state". Where he apparently turns the white house and all of congress into a giant hip hop house party. WOW that is going to be awesome! (sarcasm) Ive always wanted to see a movie where Chris Rock comes and saves us all from our square dancing lives. Dont get me wrong there are lots of good movies that have come out as of recent but when a good movie like gangs of new york opens with $9 million and a carbon copy bringing down the house slaps it in the face with $32M Im dumbfounded.?.?.? Maybe im wrong but I'd like to hear why.

Mommy mommy can we go to the movies tonight and see Steve Martin piss away his career. pleeeeaaase!!

2. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

Occasionally, the box office results, and quite often the TV ratings blather over reality shows remind me of that quote.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I saw the trailer for the new Chris Rock movie and I think it looked great. I was laughing out loud during the previews and that never happens.
    I'll pass on the new Steve Martin/Queen Latifah flick but Steve Martin is hardly pissing away his career. Over the past few years Latifah has been in more hit films than Martin so he was probably thankful that she was willing to be on the same screen with him [​IMG]

4. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

Reality shows! [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Lowest...Common...Denominator.

6. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

America never had much of a movie going mind, so what's to lose?

7. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Jeff, have you actually seen either of the films in question? I'm not much interested in either one, but I always think it's a good idea to actually see a film before pronouncing it "crap".

The fact that certain releases open big should be no mystery. It's part of a deliberate marketing strategy -- you flood as many screens as possible on opening weekend, try to position the movie so that you're not competing for the most popular demographic (i.e., teenagers), spend a ton of money on well-tuned publicity, and there you go -- a big opening.

A big part of it is simply the limited selection. I might have gone to see Bringing Down the House last weekend if I didn't live in a place that offers me so many other movie options. Most people don't have those options.

M.

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

God, the generalizing about the intelligence of average moviegoers is really getting thick in here. There have been
    lots of "heavy hitting" movies that have been box office successes such as the GODFATHER and APOCALYPSE NOW (to name just two). Can you people honestly say that films like that were only made successful by being viewed by a handful of intelligent "cineastes" and a few discerning critics? Come on.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Don't know why this is a surprise. There isn't exactly a lot of choices at the movie theater right now, and to be honest, the trailer wasn't half bad. (Even tho I knew the movie was probably going to be stupid.) I mean, other than "Bend It Like Beckham" coming out next week, there is nothing for a month for me.

Some people just want to go out to the movies, no matter what is actually out.

Jason

11. Christopher P

Christopher P Supporting Actor

Pretty sad this is actually a true statement. So people go to the movies just to go? Not necessarily because there is anything they really want to see? Weird. What I hate is after a less-than stellar-looking movie is #1, for the whole next week we have to hear TV ads say: "The number #1 movie in America is........"

Chris

12. OcieB

OcieB Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, i have the answer to your question:

2 Fast 2 Furious.

13. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

People walk up to me, or occasionally say here in the forum, "Matrix confused me".

I officially gave the heck up in '99 when people started saying that about Matrix. If you can't grasp that movie, I don't have the time the conversation to straighten you out would take. Really don't. That people can be left foundering by Matrix is all the proof I need to believe people will buy tickets to a lot of the crap served up in theaters (or on tv).

However, Gangs good. Pretentious, yes. High budget, yes. Awesome acting, yes. Good, no.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    "Jackass: The Movie" was #1 too. 'Nuff said. :wink:

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey....what's that over there? looks just like a dead horse. [​IMG] [​IMG]

but, i'll chime in anyway! [​IMG]

i feel the same way as you do jeff. everytime i see a trailer for a movie that i feel is silly i just roll my eyes. why? because i know it will probably do well.

however, i've given up on worrying about it.

my girlfriend loves movies that i just can't stand. i mean...she thinks j-lo is funny! [​IMG] but i certainly don't consider her stupid - heck, she's probably smarter than me.

so, i just chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. i'll go and search out the movies that i like, leave the ones i don't like to the masses, and consider myself a superior cinephile. [​IMG]

16. DaveGR

DaveGR Stunt Coordinator

The common movie goer is an idiot in my opinion. I cant help but think that way,From seeing what does well,like Fast and Furious,It blows my mind how horrible that was,and how well liked it was,sadly by the young for the most part. Its shows a lack of "Film" lovers out there,and wayyy to many movie lovers..Now dont get me wrong,I love alot of Movies too,but my problem is with how well FaF did,and how well liked it is by kids,It just shows a lack of finer films by kids. I Constantly get in arguments with friends about how horrible FaF is.Most of them love it,and actually rank it as their favorite film of all time,and I just laugh and laugh at how stupid that sounds. American Audiences are easily fooled into thinking a movie is good when its truly trash. As far as Bringing Down the House,,I thought the plot was moronic,but then again I love Steve Martin,so I may see it eventually just for Steve. and with Jackass the movie,,I mean,,I dont know ,,I think it really doesnt count,its not the same kind of movie.they know they wernt making anything good,and its barely a movie,It could have been a special on MTV,,having said that,I think it was hilarious,but i liked the show. [​IMG]

17. OcieB

OcieB Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, i get in arguments with my friends about FaF alot. "It's a good movie" "No it's not; it had horrible acting horrible direction anda horrible plot... dont get me started" "I liked it" "That doesn't mean it's a good movie, you may have liked it, but its absolute trash; so by saying you like it you just told me you are like trash" I get so annoyed at how ignorant my friends are sometimes...

And Jackass wasn't even a movie; anyone who tries to review it as one is wasting their time. It's just good fun watching people fuck themselves up.

18. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I know I do. I only go to the movies a few times per year. 90% of the time I'm on a date looking to kill some time, that's how I ended up seeing Daredevil. With most films that I really want to see I just wait for the DVD. The last movie that I really wanted to see in a theater was Attack of the Clones.

19. DaveGR

DaveGR Stunt Coordinator

Right on OcieB. I agree. And the sad thing is ,I think were in the minority with our thinking about FaF,as far as males 15-30. Yikes. I hate to say that,but there are just to many of these people out there,which scares me even more,because that just means more and more TOTAL CRAP,because they keep buying into it,and it pushes them to just make more of it. Sad Sad Sad

20. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor