What's new

Has a New Date been Set For Have Gun Will Travel S2? (1 Viewer)

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
According to TVShowsOnDVD Have Gun Will Travel Season 2 is scheduled for release on May 17th!

We should have this great set in our hands very soon. :b

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Dave

The release date is May 10, although I managed to pick one up today and will be viewing a number of episodes tonight.
( 39 in total ) There are Production Notes, Cast Biographies, and Behind-The-Scenes Episodic Information included with the second season. Some of the guest actors mentioned on the back of the box are Charles Bronson, Harry Morgan, Suzanne Pleshette, Vincent Price, Morey Amsterdam, and Lon Chaney Jr.:)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Brent Let me know How they are I have my Set coming from Amazon. The show always had some great stars. I really liked the first season I found it very tightly Plotted for a 30 min show. Looking forward to S2 Paramount/CBS doea a great job with these for the pricepoint.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Dave - The video quality is just as good as Season 1 which should not be a surprise. The only change I noticed was in the menu design. For some reason the theme song that was not present in a few episodes on Season 1 appears to be present on each one viewed so far. Not sure of the reason for that. It gets to be almost an addiction watching this series as I went through 7 of them last night!

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I never got my screener from Paramount - but I'm so far behind on my reviews that it is probably for the best. I'd appreciate hearing more comments on the set, Brent - especially since I won't be reviewing it for HTF.

-Scott

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah it's one of those shows that you sit down to watch a couple of episodes and it turns out to be a couple of Disks. I know I went thru Season one much faster than any other box set I had gotten in a while. The Paladin character is very intriguing.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
If you mean the end theme, the early part of the first season had mostly the same bland instrumental music over the end credits as it did with the beginning.

Late in the first year, "The Ballad of Paladin" complete with lyrics sung by Johnny Western was heard over the closing credits, and as for the visuals the familiar chess pawn on Paladin's business card was replaced by a continuing shot of Richard Boone riding his horse across the plains.

So basically: Old theme (opening) and lyrical theme (closing) stayed that way for the remainder of the series until it was cancelled at the end of the sixth season in 1963.

What's interesting is that after Have Gun, Will Travel ended, its star immediately got another series: A contempory anthology show called The Richard Boone Show, which featured a talented reporatory cast including Boone, Robert Blake, Harry Morgan, and Bethel Leslie. It only lasted one year and is even more rare than other unsuccessful series from that era such as William Shatner's first regular series For the People or the 90 minute Arrest and Trial starring Ben Gazzara and Chuck Conners.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
am i the only one that was surprised at how bad the PQ could be on the first season set?
i'm not sure if this was a source issue (and by source, i'm not referring to the original film but some thereafter videotape transfer of it) or the compresion/encoding- but some of those eps looked about as bad as i expect a mediocre PD release to look
i wish i could accurately describe the problems but they are along the lines of moireing, mottling, sizzling etc- the kind of things you would expect from poor compression.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I actually though the transfers on the 1st season were pretty decent. There's an odd bad ep here and there but I would think the Source's were to blame. No complaints on Image here.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I'm a newbie here. I signed up last year but usually forget to come by and check out the forum, so this is my first post. I had read somewhere on here that Have Gun Will Travel wasn't seen after it's initial run until the mid to late 80's, and even then it was syndication in only a few cities. I guess I have to consider myself lucky. I remember when I was 16 or 17 on Saturday afternoons, one of the UHF stations ran a few of the tv westerns. I remember they had Rawhide, The Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel, and Alias Smith & Jones. I'm not a western fan, if there's a western movie on I'll change the channel. But I loved just about all those western shows. I never could get into watching Rawhide though but I loved the rest of those. I'll be buying this one tomorrow and I'll be looking forward to buying Wanted Dead or Alive when it comes out. Now I only wish The Rifleman would get released in season sets, and Alias Smith & Jones, The Big Valley, and The Wild Wild West gets released someday.

I need to frequent this forum more often! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks