Harvey Weinstein responds T Scorcese

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Apr 26, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

The following is a link from today's UK Guardian about Harvey Weinstein and Martin Scorsese with regards to having Final Cut over Gangs of New York
    http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/...690408,00.html
    Here is part of it
    The incredible media, audience and industry interest in Gangs of New York is perfectly understandable. There is always huge anticipation for a project by Martin Scorsese, one of the great directors of all time, especially one featuring Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis and Cameron Diaz, filmed on a two-mile-long recreation of 1860s downtown New York City, set in one of the most challenging times in American history (the 1863 draft riots), and which Marty has been working on for more than 25 years.
    Unfortunately, a series of recent articles and columns about the film have focused on an alleged "brawl" between Marty and me, while failing to tell the real story - the miracle that this movie was even made at all. So I want to provide some context to the real challenges in completing this project, and explain how making it has become one of the highlights of my career.
    My first experience with Marty came during the production of The Grifters, which Miramax co-financed, Marty and Barbara De Fina produced, and Stephen Frears directed. (I have just completed Dirty Pretty Things with Frears, you can ask him what it was like working with me.) I learned so much watching Marty in the editing room, where his input was invaluable to the film.
    This is chilling stuff
    Oscar Merkx

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Oscar,
    The link doesn't work. Remove the http:// and it will. I just cut-and-pasted it.
    Good article if you read between the lines. It sounds like the film was a tremendous experience for all involved. Harvey is a great writer, and a very solid spin doctor:p) . I believe his account of the 'arguments' fully; however, the Miramax (and HARVEY in particular) as saviour attitude is tired and worn out. I appreciate his hard work at getting Scorcese the help he needed to complete his dream film. I admire his business sense. Just not his ego...even if he earned it. Recommended reading.
    Take care,
    Chuck
    Edited for proper smilie!

3. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Chuck

Thanks, yeah I agree that he is a master at spin control

Oscar

4. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

Thanks for the article. From everything I've read about Gangs of New York, it looks like it will be a real winner. [​IMG]

5. Terrell

Terrell Producer

This article makes me respect Scorsese even more. At the same time, it makes me despise Harvey even more. A master manipulator and spin-meister. Nothing more than PR damage. And his constant goings on about Oscars and other people wanting it to fail is ridiculous. Is that all the man cares about? Oscars and his competition, which is probably Road To Perdition. Try to afford Marty the necessities he needs to complete his vision, while at the same time shutting up about your competitors and the Academy Awards. Try to make the best film you can, and let the chips fall where they may. I'm quite sure that if for some reason the film is not as good as touted, you'll find a way to buy an AA nomination anyway.

It was a great read oscar. Thanks for the link. The film sounds like it's going to be good. I'm definitely interested. Now if we could only find a way to gag Harvey Weinstein, we'd be in business. And this coming from a guy who actually defended the creep on early reports of the film being close to 4 hours. I won't do that again.

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

As always, there are two sides to a story. It would be nice to hear Scorsese's perspective on this issue. A very nice read and thanks for bringing it up.

I, for one, am looking forward to this film. From everything I've read so far, it sure looks like a winner.

~Edwin

7. Dave Barth

Dave Barth Stunt Coordinator

It's interesting that he devotes the whole piece to discussing how good things were, generally, while failing to provide any explanation as to what the fights were about, how they were resolved, etc, other than to say everyone was laughing afterward.

8. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I'd like to hear from the director, myself.

9. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    Fascinating spin.

10. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Very interesting! I would like to hear Marty's side, but it really isn't like him to discuss things like this while the movie is still pending.

When is "Gangs" scheduled to be released?

11. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Gangs is now scheduled for release this Christmas. Dec. 21, 2001 was the original release date.

--Jefferson Morris