What's new

Hart to Hart season 4 received (some pictures of the same included) (1 Viewer)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Robert, while I'm glad you found an approach to watching the show in the format you prefer, one or the other is still happening: content is either being stretched horizontally slightly distorting the image or content is being chopped from the top and bottom. I can think of no other possiblility when converting 4:3 content to fill a 16:9 image. Obviously, some like yourself, prefer to fill your screen at the expence of these manipulations, while others are willing to accept black bars to keep the image in its original aspect ratio with no distortion or loss of image.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
smithbrad said:
Robert, while I'm glad you found an approach to watching the show in the format you prefer, one or the other is still happening: content is either being stretched horizontally slightly distorting the image or content is being chopped from the top and bottom. I can think of no other possiblility when converting 4:3 content to fill a 16:9 image. Obviously, some like yourself, prefer to fill your screen at the expence of these manipulations, while others are willing to accept black bars to keep the image in its original aspect ratio with no distortion or loss of image.
That's entirely possible. I'm not sure. I guess I could be losing some of the top and bottom of the screen. However, it is definitely not distorting or stretching the picture. Another option WAS doing that and this other option filled it so it still looks crystal clear and un-stretched. At some point, I will compare with Seasons 1 and 2 to see if there is a major difference.

I have watched an episode with the black bars and one without (with my settings) and you're right, I did prefer the "non-black bars" method of viewing. What a pain this turned out to be, huh. LOL

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
Robert13 said:
That's entirely possible. I'm not sure. I guess I could be losing some of the top and bottom of the screen. However, it is definitely not distorting or stretching the picture. Another option WAS doing that and this other option filled it so it still looks crystal clear and un-stretched.
On my tv, the "wide zoom" feature progressively stretches the image,
by leaving the centre part of the picture unchanged, and pulls the
left and right sides out at the edges to fill the screen. It allows people
in the middle of the screen to appear mostly normal looking, but it's
still not a solution I like personally, I don't like the distortion. I much
prefer to just watch it in the original ratio, even if that means black bars
on the sides.

Anything else is trying to put a square peg in a round hole,
Or in this case, a rectangular hole.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
derosa said:
On my tv, the "wide zoom" feature progressively stretches the image,
by leaving the centre part of the picture unchanged, and pulls the
left and right sides out at the edges to fill the screen. It allows people
in the middle of the screen to appear mostly normal looking, but it's
still not a solution I like personally, I don't like the distortion. I much
prefer to just watch it in the original ratio, even if that means black bars
on the sides.

Anything else is trying to put a square peg in a round hole,
Or in this case, a rectangular hole.
I gotta double-check that. Last night, I watched "Harts Of Darkness" and I didn't notice any stretching at all. But, like I said, I had to adjust 2 different settings to get it to look just right. Either way, I hope Season 5 is announced soon. With all the tv-movies out already, it will be nice to have the entire series complete on dvd.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks