What's new

Harryhausen's "First Men in the Moon" coming to DVD on 3/26. (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
John,
Thanks Peter. I am glad the Marco Polo CDs make it to New Jersey!
The discs made it to Texas, as well, though I admit they came via CDNow and Amazon. :D And, I've since seen them at my local Barnes & Noble.
I love the Universal monsters discs you've put together, and I can pay you no higher complement than to say I saw no need to buy the version of King Kong Turner/Warner put out since I already had the Moscow Symphony's version.
Have you ever given any thought to doing a version of Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers? I think it would be fascinating to not only have that music, but to know where it all comes from. Here's an interesting page that documents most of it.
In any case, I'd love to have the Invisible Man theme.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Thanks Greg and thanks for the link. I have been toying with the idea of a Laemmle era Universal CD. So many good things there...DRACULA'S DAUGHTER, THE MUMMY, INVISIBLE MAN, WEREWOLF OF LONDON, EDWIN DROOD, etc. And Rudy Behlmer has been nagging at me for a Flash Gordon suite. I have a friend who is trying to find conductor=piano sheets for any of these at the Library of Congress. Universal no longer have music from this period.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
This is terrific news! First Men in the Moon is a great film, very charming and fun and even touching, and I can't wait to own it on DVD!

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Glad to see so many people interested in this title. Now I'm anxious to see this film again and may just have to watch the laserdisc, which I haven't watched in about 2 years, even before the DVD comes out, and before I trade the laser in.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I'm glad to hear this is coming out. I really enjoyed this one when I was young. Hopefully, it will be a good transfer.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Well, this seems to be legit... a whole bunch of retailers are listing it as coming in late March. No specs seemed to have surfaced yet. Knowing Columia, it'll feature an anamorphic transfer of the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

When the Sinbad movies were released, they were staggered a few weeks (months?) apart, then a box set followed. Whatta you think the chances are Mysterious Island and Gulliver will follow shortly? Probably just wishful thinking...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I still can't get over John Morgan's presence here.

And wouldn't it be great if Robinson Crusoe on Mars were also coming to DVD?

Brad Nilsson

Agent
I'm add myself to the list of "old fogies." I loved First Men in the Moon as a kid and would also love to see Robinson Crusoe on Mars on DVD. I'll buy almost any "classic" Sci-Fi movie (by "classic", I mean anything pre-"2001 ASO"). Now, I watch these great old Sci-Fi movies with my kids and they love them too.

Maurice McCone

Stunt Coordinator
I will certainly be buying First Men On The Moon.

This film was shown on TV in Britain over xmas. I was sure that those selenites were scarier when I first saw them 30 years ago, but then I was 8 years old.

A charming film and one that gives you a nice warm glow of nostalgia that you get from this and Jason and the argonauts, Sinbad etc...I wonder what the connection is there?

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
One of my favorites!!!
I have a beautiful condition professionally mounted poster hanging in my home theater room of "First Men In the Moon". The laser disc from Pioneer was quite beautiful also. Hope the DVD looks as good as "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" DVD. I have that poster hanging up too! :D
We need all of Harryhausen's classics!

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Reading this thread reminded me of when I first got into laserdiscs in the early 90's and Harryhausen films where a must have for me and I still to this day have them all, in fact I distinctly remember my local Wherehouse Music blowing out LD's and First Men In The Moon Pioneer Special Edition Limited was $12 , I think it originally retailed for $49, but I'll never forget that deal, I don't think they knew what they had. Definitely good news it's about time and I hope like mentioned previously that other titles will follow this one.
bodymov'n :cool:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Apparently this disc will include HARRYHAUSEN CHRONICLES, making it the third Columbia DVD to include this same supplement, as well as "This Is Dynamation." Wish they could come up with some different supplementary stuff, but since the list price is $19.99, and the movie is the thing, I guess there's nothing to bitch about.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Nice! The Three Worlds Of Gulliver is coming on April 16th. Could Mysterious Island be far behind!?

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it is a bit of a drag that they are recycling the same extras yet again. Harryhausen Chronicles is very interesting but it would seem like they could come up with some other material for these releases.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Well Jack..I have known Ray for many years. We always get together when he comes to Los Angeles. I'm a film composer and as a sort of side thing, I reconstruct classic film scores for new recordings. Ray wrote some nice things for our KING KONG and THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME-SON OF KONG Cds. In fact, there is a photo of us in the latter disc! LOL
Well, John, if such commentary fits your relationship with Mr Harryhause, please tell him this.

Fans of his work remain and will remain for centuries to come. Some of his current fans seek out the previous releases of his film (like the laserdisc of 7th Voyage of Sinbad) to avoid the newer incorrect framings which deprive us of his work (like the non-OAR 'widescreen' DVD of 7th Voyage of Sinbad).

You the man, Ray!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for the advance look, Derek. Stereo sound - I'm thrilled to see this on the DVD! Can't wait for the 26th...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks