Harryhausen's "First Men in the Moon" coming to DVD on 3/26.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay E, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Dvdfile has this coming out on 3/26 from Columbia. Finally another Harryhausen film on DVD.

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Cool, but what about the rest Columbia? I really want MYSTERIOUS ISLAND badly.

3. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Can't wait for this one! I just hope they were able to find better elements for the sound, the LaserDisc was full of distortion and wow/flutter.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Terrific! Tremendous news.

And the funny thing is, I was wondering just two nights ago when First Men in the Moon would ever make it to DVD. I figured we were at least two years away from it, given the film's relative obscurity. This is a gem of a little movie, and the scenes with the underground lunar caverns and the "Selenites" evoke a charming sense of wonder.

And we only have slightly more than two and a half months to wait.

Thanks for the news.

5. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    This is fantastic news. I only hope the rest of the Harryhausen Columbia classics are not too far behind.

--Bill

6. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    I know rumors are just that, but about a year ago, a friend of mine heard from someone at Columbia that a stereo track was found for this film. I asked Ray Harryhausen who didn't remember if it had a limited stereo release, but he did remember it shown in 70mm in Europe. Well, we can hope!

7. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Wow.
    Wow.
    This is exactly the kind of news I've been waiting for during this sluggish new release period.
    Let's hope that Mysterious Island isn't far behind.
    Wow.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

John: How did you mange to meet Mr. Harryhausen? JB

9. John Morgan

John
    Well Jack..I have known Ray for many years. We always get together when he comes to Los Angeles. I'm a film composer and as a sort of side thing, I reconstruct classic film scores for new recordings. Ray wrote some nice things for our KING KONG and THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME-SON OF KONG Cds. In fact, there is a photo of us in the latter disc! LOL
    He has nagged me for years to rerecord Steiner's A STOLEN LIFE (the Bette Davis film). So we are doing that in a few months. I think he likes it so much because Steiner reuses A BOAT IN THE FOG cue from Kong in it!! -[​IMG]

10. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I was hoping you were THAT John Morgan. I want to publicly thank you for the fine work you, and William Stromberg, do on the Marco Polo Film Score series. I'm having a great time with the Max Steiner "Son of Kong/Most Dangerous Game" and the Bernard Herrmann "Snows of Kilimanjaro" (a wonderful, heartbreaking score beautifully rendered by your team) CDs. Please do as many more as you can!

11. John Morgan

John
    Thanks Peter. I am glad the Marco Polo CDs make it to New Jersey!

We will keep it up as long as Marco Polo does...By the way, with the Steiner, we are doing a full CD of Tiomkin's RED RIVER. Can't wait for those Russians to sing KI YI YIPPIE TA YAY.

12. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

This will definitely date me but this is fantastic news. I grew up with Harryhausen movies and First Men In The Moon is one of my favorites. Someone said it inspires wonder and he could not have been more accurate! I remember as a kid seeing this in the theater and just being blown away by the shades on the pod that had that antigravity stuff painted on them. Seems kind of lame now because when retracted they had no effect. But for a kid in the 60's this was great stuff. I hope they do this movie justice and release a clean transfer and sound. BTW, I think the ending is great in this movie. The best part.

13. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Can't wait for this one! I haven't seen it in a loooooong time! [​IMG]

14. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

15. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

With rumors of Clash Of The Titans and One Million Years B.C. rumored for release, this could turn out to be a great year for Harryhausen fans. That would leave just three more of his color films to be released. However, based on Warner's reluctance to dip into their catalog, Gwangi probably won't be making it's DVD debut anytime soon.

16. John Fleming

John Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Whoa! Look what I've stumbled upon here...the Old Farts Thread! [​IMG]
    Before anyone blows a gasket you need to know that I, shall we say...feel right at home here [​IMG]
    But, on to the subject matter at hand. I'm also psyched to hear that First Men in the Moon is scheduled for a March release. I sure hope they give it the treatment it deserves with an impressive transfer and good audio. I have 2 young sons (started the "family thing" late in life) who I believe will enjoy this movie as much as me. The sets, mattes, and various special effects were pretty good if I remember correctly. I haven't seen it in some time now, and hopefully it won't be one of those films that you remember being better than it really is. First Men in the Moon did indeed "evoke a charming sense of wonder", Jack (Briggs)...well said. I look forward to owning this DVD and introducing the movie to another generation.
    John

17. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Wow. Wow. wow.
    That seems to be all I can say. Wow! [​IMG]
    Edit: this would have to ship the same day as ST:TNG. Ah well...I'll save up a few more bucks!

18. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    This has to be on of my all time favorite movies. My wife thinks I am crazy. I searched for a long time, about 5 years ago to find it on Laser. This will be a 'must have' for my collection.

Jeff Aguilar

And I'm not THAT old to be considered an old fart! I am a child of the sixties but the late sixties.

19. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer