What's new

Harryhausen DVD news? (1 Viewer)

Blu

Screenwriter
Is there any new news on the possible release dates of One Million Years BC or It came from beneath the sea?
These are a couple of my favorites and since Earth Vs. Flying Saucers is a pending release well they might happen soon!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
...and MYSTERIOUS ISLAND and, with any luck, a Columbia re-issue of 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD with stereophonic sound and THREE WORLDS OF GULLIVER with proper aspect ratio. THE ANIMAL WORLD of 1956 is a terrible documentary (I finally own a dupe from a 16mm print, and this is Irwin Allen at his worst) but has about ten minutes of noteworthy, if somewhat jerky, tabletop dinosaur animation (color) from Harryhausen, if Warner Bros would at least allow those as a supplement to GWANGI, when and if that ever hits DVD.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Blu
Link Removed is the link to R2 One Million Years BC and they ship free worldwide and comes out July 29
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Beast From 20,000 Fathoms & Mighty Joe Young both owned by Warner.
Hopefully Columbia continues with the Harryhausen releases. Though it does look like they are saving the best for last with Mysterious Island.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I received the latest issue of Cinefex a few days ago, that has a great photo from AOTC. A shot of Obi Wan and that crab creature that the producers admit is an homage to Mysterious Island.
Link Removed
MORE HARRYHAUSEN ON DVD!! Especially Valley and Island!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Stephen

Thanks for reminding me that Cinefex's AOTC is out. Is it just AOTC, what are the other movies featured.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
There's also an extended article on Spiderman, which includes a look at the original Green Goblin mask. Pretty good issue!

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Off topic, Oscar, but how long have you been reading Cinefex? I picked up issue 1 in 1981 while stationed in Calif, and have been a subscriber ever since.

derek

Second Unit
Has anyone seen the full trailer for "Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams?" Seems like Robert Rodriquez is a HUGE fan of Harryhausen by the looks of it. Various exciting island monsters and creatures (CGI) in the mold of the classic Harryhausen stop-motion animation.

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
Harryhausen fans may want to check out these Japanese R2 ltd ed box sets:

Box 1
10 films by stop-motion fx wizard Ray Harryhausen are coming out in 3 boxed sets. This box contains: "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)," "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)," and "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977)." The set comes with a bonus action figure of Cyclops from "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad." The figure is exclusive to this set, and not sold separately. It's 17 cm tall, and it was faithfully modeled by a master model-maker, Ryu Oyama. The limited box set (5,000 copies only) also includes a b/w postcard featuring the original artwork.
Box 2
10 films by stop-motion fx wizard Ray Harryhausen are coming out in 3 boxed sets. This box contains: "Jason and the Argonauts (1963)," "Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956)," and "20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)." The set comes with a bonus action figure of Ymir, the Venusian creature from "20 Million Miles to Earth." The figure is exclusive to this set, and not sold separately. It's 17 cm tall, and it was faithfully modeled by a master model-maker, Ryu Oyama. The limited box set (5,000 copies only) also includes a b/w postcard featuring the original artwork.
Box 3
10 films by stop-motion fx wizard Ray Harryhausen are coming out in 3 boxed sets. This box contains: "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (1960)," "It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955)," "Mysterious Island (1961)," and "First Men in the Moon (1964)." The set comes with a bonus action figure of Hindu Goddess Kali from "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad." The figure is exclusive to this set, and not sold separately. It's 17 cm tall, and it was faithfully modeled by a master model-maker, Ryu Oyama. The limited box set (5,000 copies only) also includes a b/w postcard featuring the original artwork. In addition this set includes a 60-minute documentary "The Ray Harryhausen Chronicles" (in "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver" disc.)
Available to pre-order from the usual Japanese etailers.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Stephen
Just saw your message and sent a PM
Jonathan E
Looks absolutely amazing this box, but this has been posted before, however can you send me a link in English because I cannot read or write Japanese to order this one.
oscar
:D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan E
Thanks for the links and yes I am aware of the high prices, so need to save up for these. Do you have them ? If so, how are they ?
:D

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I just watched a R2 Japanese version of Mighty Joe Young a couple of days ago. It was not a stellar transfer, but considering the age of the film it was not too bad. IMHO all Harryhausen films should be on DVD.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
For the life of me, I can't understand how we can have all three Jurassic Park films on DVD while The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and The Valley of Gwangi remain unavailable ...

derek

Second Unit
I was right! (about spy kids 2)

from science fiction weekly (www.scifi.com/sfw)

Kids 2 Honors Old School
obert Rodriguez, director of the upcoming sequel film Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams, told SCI FI Wire that the movie in part is his homage to the 1960s genre films of visual-effects pioneer Ray Harryhausen. "I've always wanted to do one, and I used to think, I want to make my Sinbad movie someday," Rodriguez said in an interview while promoting Spy Kids 2. "Jason and the Argonauts. And then when I was doing Spy Kids, I realized, 'Wow, if we do a Spy Kids 2, I can make that Ray Harryhausen movie, and it won't be dependent on being on its own. And since it's part of a sequel, it would be easier to get it made. ... I definitely wanted to do that and go more old-school with the look, so it felt more like stop-motion [animation] and not look so Jurassic Park-ey."

In Spy Kids 2, the titular heroes (played by Alexa Vega and Daryl Sabara) travel to a mysterious island, where they do battle with a variety of bizarre creatures, including warrior skeletons right out of 1963's Jason and the Argonauts. Rodriguez said he intentionally left the visual effects a little rough around the edges. "[It's] pure [computer] animation, [but without] all the blur frames," he said. " just took out the blur frames so that ... especially ... the lead character, the ape guy, ... would be more personable. ... He just feels, you know, that he is a good guy, because he moves like in stop-motion. ... That's why it's called Lost Dreams. Because it's like my old memories of [lost] movies." Spy Kids 2 opens Aug. 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks