What's new

HARRY POTTER - too much compression? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My widescreen HARRY POTTER doesn't look as good as most recent films on DVD. It seems to exhibit compression problems - on vertical pans (even horizontal ones) the picture seems to get more pixilated than what I am used to seeing. The feature dis is silver, too - and though the box says "Dual Layer," I thought all dual layer discs were gold. Is there even a layer change, or did Warner actually squeeze the entire 154-minutes onto a single layer (which would certainly explain the visual problem I note above). This issue may have already been covered in another Potter thread, but I don't remember seeing it. Am I the only one who notices this?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There is a layer change, poorly done, but it is there. It is near the end of the scene with the troll in the girls bathroom. Just as Professor Quirrell has shooed the kids out of the room, and the troll grunts startling Quirrell, the layer changes. Why they couldn't have delayed this a couple seconds and changed during the edit between scenes is beyond me.

Do the people who master these discs choose the layer change, or do they just kind of have to let it happen where it happens? I've seen some pretty bad changes recently. It would seem so simple to me to have it at an edit, between scenes, but it always seems to be in the middle of the scene. In HP, it ruined one of the jokes.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Do the people who master these discs choose the layer change, or do they just kind of have to let it happen where it happens?
It depends on the authoring software. If they authored on Sonic Scenarist (arguably the most popular system out there) or Sonic DVD Fusion, then they can pick the layer change point. However, if they authored on Apple DVD Studio Pro, then they cannot pick the layer change point - the software picks it for them.

Note - I'm not sure about the other authoring packages, especially the proprietary Panasonic and Sony ones.

-greg

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I think that the main problem is that Harry Potter is full of bright colors, smoke and night scenes with lots of background motion, aka the stuff of compressionists' nightmares. Even a high bitrate dual-layer disc can't quite handle it, although FWIW I think the DVD looks pretty much as I remembered the movie from theaters. The only other possibility would've been to split the movie across two discs.
- Guy

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget it was lit by a 3 legged monkey (at least the opening) so that couldn't have helped

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not to mention the cinematographer, Oscar winner John Seale. But hey, what does he know? :rolleyes:
M.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Not being the AV expert that many of you are, the only scene that really bothered me visually was at the very end, where Harry is on the stairs approaching Quirrell/Voldemort. The stairs were flickering, which was quite annoying even to a semi-critical eye.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The stairs were flickering, which was quite annoying even to a semi-critical eye.
Flickering isn't typically a result of compression issues. I haven't watched the Potter disc yet, but what you're describing is sounds more like a product of either (a) downconversion of an anamorphic image by a DVD player, or (b) aliasing caused by an interlaced display. I'm not sure whether either or both of these applies to your setup, but it's something to consider.

M.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Here's what I don't get. JFK (Oliver Stone Collection) is 205 minutes. It is on one disc and has a commentary. It looks damn good with no problems that I can tell. How come Harry Potter sucks?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I think that the main problem is that Harry Potter is full of bright colors, smoke and night scenes with lots of background motion
If Moulin Rouge can be compression free anything can.

Warner did a good, but not great job on the compression of this disc. They should be told this so they can improve their performance on the next disc.

The shimmer etc. is also visible on 16x9 displays...so it must be a matter of poor downconversion from HD resolution or poor mastering at 480P resolution (you see it even with a 3-2 pulldown 480P DVD player). No excuse for that, EVER.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The shimmer etc. is also visible on 16x9 displays...so it must be a matter of poor downconversion from HD resolution or poor mastering at 480P resolution (you see it even with a 3-2 pulldown 480P DVD player).
Too bad. In the back of my mind, I was considering that as yet another possibility, but hoping it wasn't the case.

M.

SteveA

Supporting Actor
How come Harry Potter sucks?
It sucks? I thought it looked pretty good. Sharp and clean with bright, vibrant colors. If you want to see a horrible transfer, try watching "The Phantom Menace" on a large 16:9 display sometime!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It sucks? I thought it looked pretty good. Sharp and clean with bright, vibrant colors. If you want to see a horrible transfer, try watching "The Phantom Menace" on a large 16:9 display sometime!
Well, I don't have a 16:9, but on my set, The Phantom Menace is not bad at all. Anything other than the daytime scenes in HP is rather noisy, don't you think? Special attention should be paid to solid blacks and fog, IMO.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
But now compare the HARRY POTTER trailer to same scenes from the actual feature... the trailer looks gorgeous, but the feature has all the aliasing and pixelation.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
In support of what was said above, the first fifteen minutes on the movie were lit terrible, and looked very grainy even in the theatre. Simply because one is an oscar winner does not make them an expert, incabable of making poor choices, and thinking such is a logical fallacy.

cheers!

Josh

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Simply because one is an oscar winner does not make them an expert, incabable of making poor choices
I never said otherwise (and if there's a "logical fallacy" anywhere, it's in thinking that I did). My point was simply that the cinematographer of Harry Potter has significant experience and credentials, and is certainly someone with more credibility on matters of cinematography than any of the participants in this thread.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks