What's new

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
It is the thread originator's prerogative to decide whether spoilers are allowed or not. The GoF thread certainly allowed spoilers, the problem was that it contained unprotected spoilers about later books as well.

I suggest spoilers be allowed.

Chuck, Imelda Staunton definitely looks the part (tho my version of Umbridge would be younger). One thing they've certainly nailed in this franchise is the casting. Here is hoping they get the character right as well.

And for the love of all that is good and holy, would a kind soul please give Michael Gambon some friggin Valium before his scenes.

--
H

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
This book will have to redeem itself for some of the fans reactions to Goblet of Fire. Granted this was a long book, they need to fit in some stuff that got left out of the end of the 4th book and then bring in a lot in the 5th. I really liked the 5th book and I think they will have to make this one longer than the others.

That whole Umbridge plot is hillarious I can't wait to see what they do with her as a character. Her sitting in on the other classes and interjecting herself is the best part of the book. And the whole Cho subplot will be great to watch.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I started this thread...and haven't read the book. I don't mind people wanting to discuss events..So long as they are in spoiler tags.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That seems fair. If people want to post spoilers about later books to clarify a point, I'd suggest putting in a backet before hand (ie. [HBP Spoiler])

Josh.C

Second Unit
I will third the thoughts on Michael Gambon. That guy needs some serious help. Granted Richard Harris is a tough act to follow, but C'Mon, enough with the over-acting. Doubledore is much more subtle in the books.

As for the OotP, I'm stoked to see how they do it. The book is rich in plot, and probably the slowest and most detailed of the books. I also agree with the above comment that this will be Radcliffe's time to shine, as Harry really deals with some serious issues in this book.

It will be the hardest movie to make, but if done right, should do fine at the box office.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I cannot wait to see Half Blood Prince on the big screen!

As long as they don't try to make these last movie's "kiddie" they will be OK. The books continue to get darker, and to do a good job with the movie's, they need to mirror this. I have much confidence after watching GOF.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Considering Gambon's resume I'm guessing that the intensity comes from the director. Newell, in particular, since Gambon was much more subdued in Azkaban. While it wasn't the Dumbledore I have in my head, I have to admit I enjoyed the direction they took with the character in the GoF film.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
It's one thing to read that, quite another see it visualized. I wonder what it will do to the rating?

This book has, imho, the best ending (GOF is a close, close second). Should be super cool if done right. IIRC, I remember reading that Elizabeth Hurley had been cast in the part of Bellatrix Black Lestrange... ?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David,
Regarding the detention scenes, while the emotions of that scene are intense and the idea of it is revolting, it's not particularly graphic visually in nature.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
The last 30-45 minutes of this movie will probably kick some serious ass.

Harry, some of the Army, and the Order of the Phoenix, battle Lord Voldemort's minions in the Ministry of Magic. That was one fantastic scene to read, especially the end when Sirius dies

Elizabeth Hurley would be an interesting choice for Bellatrix Black Lestrange. The first one that came to mind for me was Kate Beckinsale. Why, I don't know.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

For about two hours in July, I believe. ;)

Seriously, for a lot of the year the Scottish highlands look very bleak and forbidding. Even during the summer the light has to be just right before they look less than minatory.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I imagine they will cut the above and only show the first detention (if they show any at all).

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I am in the minority but I am not a big fan of the action sequence at the end of the book. It went on for far too long, and much like opening chapter of GoF, has obvious cinematic influences (she wrote it as if she was watching a movie). Which may be why it will work well on screen I guess.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the absolute best scenes in the book: Occlumency lessons.

And no love for Lovegood?

--
H

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David:My guess is that they will use special effects with a red-ink fountain pen. The pen writes in red on the paper, which we assume is blood, and the mark on the hand is simply a pink irritation mark in the shape of the letters. It's not like bone is going to be exposed here. I personally consider the violence at the end of GOF to be far more graphic, with sliced off hands and the like. The detention scenes are certainly some of the most morally apalling scenes in the book, but I think most of that is what the viewer brings to it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember Harris in Raiders; anyone want to remind me? Generally seems like a good choice. I was expecting more of a Sam Jackson build for Shacklebolt, but Harris has great eyes for the role. A lot of history there.
I wonder what Jarvis looks like. Hopefully very much like Radcliffe. Personally, I would have just had Dan play his father and convey the difference in character through make-up and acting.
It's especially interesting in that it's our first look at the film with Yates' fingerprints. Apparently there was a script read through last week. I expect more news will start coming soon.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Harris was the captain of the ship that Marion and Indy escape onto only to be overtaken by the german U-boat. He tries to protect/keep Marion from the Germans by pretending to want to sell her because of her excellent hair.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I kinda pictured Kingsley as younger and hipper, but Harris seems fine.

He was pretty cool in Layer Cake recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks