What's new

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (Parts I and II) discussion (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There are certain crucial beats that have to play out more or less exactly as written for the ending to make sense. Around those, there's plenty of room for liberties to be taken. I like Harry pulling Voldemort over the edge, because it showcases that he's willing to sacrifice himself to stop Voldemort.

(...if only Voldemort couldn't fly!)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
There are definitely some spoilers in the trailer, but some of them are also only spoilers because we (where we=those who have read the books) know what they mean. While some of them go too far, a lot of them only make sense within the context of the scene and don't mean much isolated from it.

I just hope we get some extension of the ending. In the book there's less than 20 pages (out of over 4,000 total) from the climax to the end. While there are people who will never feel like we got enough information, I do think we were owed a bit more wrap up and denouement in the aftermath than what we got.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Farmer

There are definitely some spoilers in the trailer, but some of them are also only spoilers because we (where we=those who have read the books) know what they mean. While some of them go too far, a lot of them only make sense within the context of the scene and don't mean much isolated from it.

I just hope we get some extension of the ending. In the book there's less than 20 pages (out of over 4,000 total) from the climax to the end. While there are people who will never feel like we got enough information, I do think we were owed a bit more wrap up and denouement in the aftermath than what we got.

I agree 100% with the book ending begin wrapped up too quickly. After 7 books I felt the section from climax to last word of the book was a bit disappointing. We've had these characters in our minds for what, 12-13 years, and I wanted to know more about their reactions to what happened than what we got. It's about the only real complaint I've ever had with the books.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I go back and forth about how I felt about the book ending the way it did - mostly my gripe was probably some version of, "This has been so much fun to follow all these years, I really wish it didn't have to end!" I think there's something to be said for resolving the plot and then getting the heck out of there, so to speak. I think I like that better than the kind of ending where they tell us what happened to each and every character, or how they felt or what they thought -- that's almost the kind of part where my criticism normally would come in, where something might have seen too easy or contrived or whatnot. Finishing quickly is one way to avoid that particular trap.

All things considered - ending a story like Harry Potter had to be a tough challenge, on one hand because the story itself is so compelling and so many little things had to be pulled together along with the big things to make it all work - but also because it's been so much fun to read and such a great ride that no one wants to get off the roller coaster when the ride's over. I thought J.K. Rowling did an admirable job of what I would have considered a nearly impossible task. I think the filmmakers have a good chance of making it work. Splitting up the book into two films was really the way to go, I think, otherwise it would have felt really rushed.

willison

Auditioning
Real Name
jonathan charles
In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows epilogue there was mention of a girl named Victoire who Teddy Lupin was snogging. Who are her parents? Does anyone Know?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw Death Hallows Part 2 last night and it's as good as I had hoped for. I guess it has an unfair advantage since it can have lots of big moments and climaxes that the other movies didn't have but it's easily my favorite of the series.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought the ending was terrible.

I would have liked to have known what happened to so many of the characters. DH should have had another couple chapters (at least) following the big showdown.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Really enjoyed it although was surprised some important deaths happened offscreen The best compliment I can give it is it made me want to watch the earlier films again even the first two which I don't particularly like Matthew Lewis is a terrible actor though :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I believe those deaths happened off the page as well if I remember correctly. Wasnt it the same way we were told in the book?

I enjoyed the film - but do wish there was a bit more of Snapes memories from the book in that scene.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Someone with better knowledge of the books is needed for that - I can't remember But from a cinematic POV I'm surprised they didn't show at least one of them. didn't spoil the film just surprised

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
The interpretation of the Battle of Hogwarts is very much like the book. In the book, you follow Harry basically the whole time. We get snippets of action as Harry goes through it and the reveal of the deaths happens exactly the way it does in the film as it does in the book. The one thing they did actually dramatize was Ron and Hermione's trip to the Chamber of Secrets. In the book, it happens off page, so to speak.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Awestruck.

Fantastic.

One small call for something that would infuriate film purists and be somewhat George-Lucas esque: I hope in about 10 years, they come back and re-film the epilogue with the actors a little older.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
Actually, considering how the actors looked before they reshot it, I think they did a damn fine job with the makeup effects. But, that would be kind of cool to get them back to reshoot the epilogue at the actual age....

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Word is the ending was re-shot because the original old age make up was too much.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I loved it. Was it perfect? No. But it got right the things it had to get right. It earned its nostalgia. The scene in the forest was beautiful.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Think there was definitely a scene cut out of Dumbledores brother talking about his sister. It actually felt like the scene had been cut down from a far longer conversation

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks