1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (Parts I and II) discussion

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam Lenhardt, Feb 15, 2009.

1. in2video2

in2video2 Auditioning

Leon Hutchinson
    Managed to see Part 1 this morning. Must agree with Adam and Robert. We needed to get back to the core story in greater depth, allow our main actors some breathing space to flesh out their characters for more realism and JKR makes this all possible at this point in the Harry Potter opus by giving us all a chance to slow down and appreciate our friendships under stressful, even life threatening times. Have to admit the middle section of this book was a very hard slog to read and the movie tackles it much better in my opinion - but then, we have been watching these three young people literally grow up and flesh out their respective roles... so in no small way we all have a vested interest in the outcome that will follow in Part 2. I am glad David Yates is at the helm and that we are not switching Directors midstream again. Dividing the last book into two films offers a better chance to tie up any loose ends and prepare us for the conclusion of Part 2 - smart thinking. Of course the marketing and accounting departments over at Warner would not be disappointed - but, this is probably one of those rare chances when it makes better sense all round, including the artistic decision to do so. Simply cannot wait for Part 2 now.

2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Ricardo C
    I thought the film was stunning to look at, and quite faithful to the book... Which is both its biggest strength, and its weakest point. I loved it, but it could have been so much more. Then again, my wife and in-laws, who have not read the books, didn't find fault with any of it, so take this as the grumblings of a bookworm ;)

Columbus was criticized during his tenure for slavish devotion to the source material, which is fair enough. But from parts 3-6, we've had an ever-growing succession of trims to and re-structuring of the story, which has come home to roost now that they want to give the story room to breathe: Characters and scenes that should have been far more intense or moving, now pack little to no emotional punch:

-Bill and Fleur (Bill playing Captain Exposition and explaining his scars almost literally as he shakes Harry's hand was ridiculous) and their wedding. Might as well have not bothered and jumped from the attack on the seven Harrys straight to the forest scenes.

-Tonks and Lupin being suddenly married. I mean, seriously. Tonks calls Remus "sweetheart" in HBP, and that's it. Now, their relationship in the books came out of left field too, but it was much less awkwardly written, I think.

-Rufus Scrimgeur showing up almost as an errand boy, with no hint of the tension between him and Harry, other than an almost paternal "don't think I don't know what you're up to, Mr. Potter", only to die in the next scene. I don't think the full "The Other Prime Minister" chapter need have been shot for the HBP film, but a little transition from Fudge to Scrimgeur, and their difference in style would have been possible without bogging HBP down.

-Harry and Ginni's farewell kiss, and what his departure means to them has no power without his breakup with her at the end of HBP.

I could go on, but again, I'm complaining as a book fan, who thinks the movies could have been richer with a little more Columbus and a little less Cuaron. As it stands, I hope Kloves has found a good way to make the finding of the remaining horcruxes the logical outcome of the trio's detective work, because without the memories shown in HBP, there's a lot of ground to cover. Ditto for Dumbledore's past, which got nearly entirely overlooked in DH1.

A great film, but one which could have been greater. A-

3. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma

Indeed. Disagree with your analysis but glad the movies are fulfilling your expectations.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

In spoilers for nonbooks readers.....

Bellatrix mentions the sword is supposed to be in her vault, but how are they to know the cup is a Horcrux when they come across it - without Harry previous knowledge of the item.

Also I dont remember, how do they discover Ravenclaw's Diadem is a Horcrux,which I believe is in the Room for Requirment?

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Ricardo C
    Jon,

In HBP (the novel), Harry and Dumbledore guess that Voldemort would want to make horcruxes out of objects belonging to each of Hogwart's founders. While visiting Xenophilius Lovegood, they see his "replica" of Ravanclaw's Diadem, which they later locate thanks to the Gray Lady during the Battle of Hogwarts. Since the film overlooked the diadem during the meeting with Lovegood, I guess the second film will have them deducing it on their own, once they see the pattern (Slytherin's locket, Bellatrix keeping the sword at Gringott's.)

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

BIG spoiler for Part 2. Not something that will ruin the whole movie if you peek by mistake, but something I'd rather not know if I were going into the second part spoiler-free.

They knew from Hogwarts: A History that each of the school's founders had a magical object associated with him/her. After discovering that Slytherin's locket and Hufflepuff's cup were both horcruxes, they made the logical leap that Ravenclaw's Diadem is a horcrux too. Likely Gryffindor's Sword was to be the sixth horcrux, before that fateful night in Godric's Hollow changed Voldemort's plans. Harry knew from the memories that Dumbledore shared with him that Voldemort had come back to Hogwarts one last time as an adult, ostensibly to seek a job from Dumbledore. Since Dumbledore had never trusted Tom Riddle as a student, Harry figured that Voldemort had to know he wouldn't have a chance at getting hired. Why then make the trip? Harry correctly assumed that it was to hide one of his horcruxes at the place that came closest to being a home for him, just as it had come closest to being a home for Harry. One of the trio -- I forget which -- remembered seeing something matching the description of the diadem in the Room of Requirement.

(Fun tidbit: You can see the diadem in one of the the shots in the Room of Requirement for HBP.)

8. Cory S.

Cory S. Supporting Actor

Adam,

You can?! I've analyzed that film to death and I still haven't seen it.

If that's the case, ten bucks says Ginny Weasley helps in that area in Part 2...to give her something more to do, even though she won't actually be a part of destroying the item.

Jon, the reason I say they'll be able to deduce where it is and what it is is because Bellatrix also interrogated Hermione about it after Griphook. If you notice through out the film, Hermione's reading ALOT. Sometime at the beginning of the film at Shell Cottage, Hermione's going to piece the facts together. Kloves has been notorious (in all the scripts he's done for the series) about using Hermione to get across exposition and plot points because of her character. She's a great tool for that stuff.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Here's my problem, it's hard to decide if I like the movie because it's extremely obvious that you are only seeing half a book. I'm sure when you can sit down and watch 1 and 2 in it's entirety it will be fine, but right now it just sucks.

10. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I'm a large number of posts behind, but only a couple days, so hopefully my comment is not too late...

I think the other great casting move was Imelda Staunton. She nailed Umbridge IMO.

I disagree about Quidditch. I thought they blew it in the first two books and that it didn't really make me go WOW until HBP. Even the scenes from the world cup didn't make it look like a game with an object. In HBP it looked dangerous and more like a sport than in any of the other movies.

For me, the change in tone has worked as the movies have gotten darker as the tone of the books changed as Harry got older and his problems more severe. I'll never like how much of the plot they've left out from the books when they did the movies (especially the points that tied the books together), but the later movies especially have shown what the story could have looked like, and there's value there.

Hoping to see it this weekend.

11. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

12. eva97

eva97 Auditioning

eva Scott
    Harry Potter and the deathly hallows was a most awaited movie for its viewers friom such a long time and I was one of them. Now its is in hands to enjoy and lwts enjoy Emma, Ron and Harry withnan adventures world , that we haven't even imagine before it .

13. Pete-D

Pete-D Screenwriter

I think "Harry Potter And The Depressing, Sexually Awkward Camping Trip With His Best Friend's Girl" is probably a more apt title, lol.

Actually for what its worth I still enjoyed it overall, but I'm really not that big of a fan of Yate's take on the series. It just seems drier and duller than the previous movies. There aren't any new musical themes that are terribly memorable either.

A lot of the dramatic scenes kinda fell "flat" too, and scenes that maybe could've had more majesty/richness to them (like the graveyard scene) feel a bit dull. The best visual part of the movie was the animated bit.

Still, it's a fun world to visit. I have to confess I don't read the books and since I started with the movies, I figured I might as well just finish with the movies first, so my view is probably a bit different.

I wonder if the younger kids will like this one as much ... the pacing in quite slow and the movie is dark and dreary most of the time with only a little humor here and there. It's also quite violent.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My wife and I were surprised they left the scene of Harry & Dudley "making up" at the beginning. It was a nice close to their storyline that started at the very beginning of the series. Luckily, I did hear it was filmed. So hopefully it will be on the dvd/blu release.

15. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Maybe I'm the only one, but I was looking forward to Ron proclaiming his love for Hermoine when he returned after stomping off, I was actually get

a little nervous thinking about it when that part of the movie happened.

Brent

16. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Saw it last night with my daughter. IMax was sold out so we went to the standard show. Any insight into how the IMax looked? Theater experience was pretty good. Ruined a bit by the guy behind me kicking my chair, the guy in front of me checking his cellphone every so often and the guy in the front row with a blue tooth earpiece in his ear during the movie and flashing through the entire showing. Seriously, WTF do you need your bluetooth in for? They are not accessories people! If you aren't on the phone, put them in your fucking pocket! [/rant off] Better. On to movie thoughts.

I echo some of the thoughts above about the pacing being a bit off. Bill and Fleur and Tonks and Lupin felt sort of thrown in there, but that was mostly the fault of HBP by leaving out the battle at Hogwarts and the relationships of those couples. Aside from that, I thought the movie was well done. As with OOTP and HBP, it looked great. The backdrops were stunning. The only thing I can think of to blame for the pacing is the sheer amount of information to process. I had the same feeling when reading the book (twice). There's just so much information to absorb that every scene is important. There weren't any huge battles, so I think the movie didn't feel like the typical start fast, catch your breath in the middle and then finish strong formula. Maybe that accounts for the odd feel? Also, there were a couple of lingering shots that seemed a bit ham handed like the shot of Lovegood's medallion at the wedding and the shot of Harry taking the two wands from Draco. My favorite scene was the pool in the forest and the horcrux after Harry opened it.

They definitely made the right move in splitting it into two movies. I'm looking forward to seeing it when it makes it to BD.

17. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I saw this on Imax and thought it was pretty good. I'm not a big fan of this series because half the time I can't tell what they are saying. I still don't know why people take their very young kids to see this movie especially in an Imax theater where the sound is usually set to 11.

18. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Greetings again. I loved it. Have seen in 3 times now. Once in IMAX and that was the best. I enjoyed DH on many levels but one of those is how self confident the screenplay is. Felt as if they were in no hurry and that's a compliment. A very deliberate, methodical direction that was extremely captivating. Not having read the latter books I don't know how things will end but have some ideas. The only part I could say was a tad underwhelming was the score. But then again that could be a positive as it never called attention to itself. I remember it but not like the other 6 film scores.

Agree with those here who say Azkaban changed the series. It's been my favorite for many years although in reality, it's hard to choose as films 3-7 are all very different and all fantastic.

Potter has amazed me in being the most consistent film series. I have found myself caring for these people in very natural ways and wasn't forced too. I can't say that with the Star Wars Prequels or to some degree LOTR. The Potter characters have literally grown up right in front of us and I'm sure that has played a role. But they are well acted and you can feel the bond the 3 leads share.

It's going to be a long, long wait until July.

I have steadily grown into quite a Harry Potter fan the past few years and they occupy a coveted spot in Timobi's all time favorite movie lists. Right up there with the Original Star Wars Trilogy.

My rating of The Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1 is a solid 9.5/10.

19. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

If the second half of DH is filmed properly, Tim, you will be using plenty of superlatives such as heart wrenching, spectacular, epic, and heroic. :)

20. Jose Martinez

Jose Martinez Screenwriter

Jose Martinez
    If Deathly Hallows has succeeded in doing anything, is alienate "non-fans." Which is the reason why it will have a hard time reaching $300M. Which is what the 2nd half will probably make as well, even it is a summer film.