What's new

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (Parts I and II) discussion (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I too was a big fan of the 6th book. I felt like the 5th was all filler on first go, though it clearly isn't now. It is (oddly enough) the longest on the seven books, and the one that could use the most trimming. But it is a very important part of the tapestry.

It is weird to be talking about the 7th movie (either half) until I've seen the 6th. So I'll abstain on the theories from myself until I've seen the films. I'd rather the movies were faithful to previous films moreso than the source books. I know that is an odd distinction to make, but the movies should stand on their own for the most part, with some treats here and there for book fans. They haven't deviated too far afield in the films anyway, so that should not be a tall order. But if they have to make a choice...choose previous films to be consistent with.

I hope the film ends the series as strong as the book did.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I wouldn't have minded a little more consistency as well, especially when it comes to design elements like the dementors, the look of Padfoot. Some story type consistency would also be appreciated. It feels like they've completely forgotten about some aspects of the previous movies in a rush to get the bare essentials to the screen in a decent running time.

The impression I got after OOTP, was they're almost like James Bond films. They're just product that Warners churns out because it almost has to. A serviceable script is written, a workman-like director is hired, the actors show up, a movie is made and everyone gets paid. With the last one, they lost whatever made these movies feel special and magical. I'm encouraged by the footage we've all seen from HBP and I'm hopeful that in these last few, they'll recapture some of that magic that made this world so charming in the first place.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ray H

About one of the photos....

I'm kinda surprised they're still doing Bill's wedding if that blurb is accurate. We've haven't really seen the character before (except for maybe a photo in POA).

Follow-up confirmation on this point. Casting news: Clémence Poésy confirmed late last month that she will reprise Fleur Delacour role in Deathly Hallows
And further confirmation as to this specific scene from a call sheet that got away from the production: "30 x crowd for dance rehearsals 10:00 - 12:00 in car park 5 for the Weasley Wedding"

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Interesting. I read recently that Brendan Gleeson's son will be playing Bill. Oddly, he looks more like David Thewlis. :)

In other casting news, looks like Bill Nighy will be in the movies, probably as Scrimgeour. Ciaran Hinds is also rumored for Aberforth.

Also, Emma Thompson won't be returning.

bosque

Agent
Real Name
Robert Evans
It will interesting to see if the Harry Potter bandwagon is still capable of attracting huge audiences, it's been two years since the fifth movie and more importantly two years since the final novel, will audiences feel they know the ending and going to a dramatisation of book 6 would be old hat ?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by bosque

It will interesting to see if the Harry Potter bandwagon is still capable of attracting huge audiences, it's been two years since the fifth movie and more importantly two years since the final novel, will audiences feel they know the ending and going to a dramatisation of book 6 would be old hat ?
I have no doubt that it's going to be one of the biggest movies of the year (probably behind Transformers 2 and maybe Avatar and Up).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
now it seems clear how they'll have enough material for part I of deathly hallows. The story of the founder's horcruxes in part 1 (i'm presuming that harry gets the memories in dumbledore's will as well, or that hermione got those along with the horcrux books), and the story of the three brothers in part 2.

What the hell happened to the cloak in film six? It's of huge importance and the filmmakers almost never used it? did Harry leave it on the hogwarts express? did Luna take it? frustrating.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The tent rears its ugly head!

Wonder how they will handle those sequences in the movie? All the time reading that section in the book - FILLER - kept playing in my head. Easily could be cut down in length. Thankfully, the very nature of cinematic adaptation will have this compression occur naturally.

It is very exciting that Rowling really crafted an awesome third act which allowed the series to end on a high note.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /forum/thread/282646/harry-potter-the-deathly-hallows-parts-i-and-ii-discussion#post_3584938

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam_S

now it seems clear how they'll have enough material for part I of deathly hallows. The story of the founder's horcruxes in part 1 (i'm presuming that harry gets the memories in dumbledore's will as well, or that hermione got those along with the horcrux books), and the story of the three brothers in part 2.

What the hell happened to the cloak in film six? It's of huge importance and the filmmakers almost never used it? did Harry leave it on the hogwarts express? did Luna take it? frustrating.
Given the different choices made for the ending, I didn't see much point to using it after the train scene. There were no moments that leaped out at me and said: "that would have made more sense if Harry was under the invisibility cloak!"

If Harry had been under the Invisiblity Cloak for Dumbledore's death scene, as in the book, Harry's moment with Snape would not have been possible. And Harry finally granting Snape his trust and seemingly be stabbed in the back for it, should pay off gangbusters in Deathly Hallows Part II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma

The tent rears its ugly head!

Wonder how they will handle those sequences in the movie? All the time reading that section in the book - FILLER - kept playing in my head. Easily could be cut down in length. Thankfully, the very nature of cinematic adaptation will have this compression occur naturally.

It is very exciting that Rowling really crafted an awesome third act which allowed the series to end on a high note.
Yates has described the first film (since the book is being split into two movies) as basicly a road trip movie. It goes from:

The Weasley Wedding at the beginning through to when the Trio is taken by the Snatchers, ending on a cliffhanger un route to Malfoy Manor.
That implies that were going to have plenty of time sitting around talking in tents in the first film. I think this stretch will be inherently more interesting than it was in the book, however, because it provides the filmmakers the opportunity to really showcase what remains of the British Wilderness. After six films largely couped up in one setting, it'll be nice to see a rapidly changing set of scenery.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have not read the books. And after seeing HBP last night in the theater. I was able to figure out who took the Horcruxes. Just had a question about who will be playing that character?

Does anyone know who will be playing Regulus Black in the next movie? IMDB doesn't show anyone yet. Thanks!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
QUOTE: "That implies that were going to have plenty of time sitting around talking in tents in the first film. I think this stretch will be inherently more interesting than it was in the book, however, because it provides the filmmakers the opportunity to really showcase what remains of the British Wilderness. After six films largely couped up in one setting, it'll be nice to see a rapidly changing set of scenery."

I seriously doubt that, the lack of memories indicates the trio is going to be actively hunting the remaining horcruxes rather than just learning about them in memory, for example:
rather than learning about the hufflepuff cup in a memory, I think they'll be doing active detective work after being given a start by dumbledore's collected memory and that leads them to bella (perhaps they find and question the old lady's house elf themselves?) then they find out at the start of part 2 that bella put it in her Gringotts vault. You can also tell the story of the ravenclaw diadem in this part, again, begin with a dumbledore memory and then bulid on it, giving them a chance to investigate it. So rather than them feeling helpless and having nothing to do that isn't locket related in the first book you combine the stories and hunt for those three horcruxes and make the hunt for them more active and investigatory. part of the problem of their frustrated passivity in book seven was that dumbledore had already given Harry all the information/memories he really had in book six. We haven't been given that info in the movies yet, but it will be necessary to learn it. Have them learn something about Nagini as well (or cut Nagini as a horcrux and have six horcruxes (seven parts of soul) rather than seven horcruxes (eight parts of soul) as in the book). Cutting Nagini may be in the cards, did you note how Riddle said, "six or seven horcruxes?" in the movie version of his scene with Slughorn? The dialog is substantially different then how the book treats that scene.

The other big subplot is dumbledore's back story which is most relevant to the tale of the three brothers. I would juggle learning the tale of the three brothers to the beginning of part II when they are imprisoned, have the tale come from Ollivander and Hermione, and have Hermione yanked at a major point of the story. Deal with her torture, the breakout and if necessary get the rest of the story later from Lovegood or Hermione or whatever. (or Lovegood can be imprisoned in Malfoy manner as well). Additionally, having dumbledore's backstory come from Skeeter's articles and books is passive and annoying, better to get snatches of it from people who knew him that the trio runs into during their quest (perhaps having Harry collect memories so we can SEE some of this backstory, and establish a nice little grace note of Harry stepping into Dumbledore's shoes in the task of collecting memories, only this time he's collecting memories about Dumbledore--the greatest 'good' wizard--rather than the greatest evil wizard. It's a solid dramatic parallel and makes things more cinematic and the trio more actively engaged with the essential stories of the three brothers and of dumbledore's past and connection to the deathly hallows.
ETA: I seriously fucking hate this new forum software.

angelyn

Auditioning
Real Name
Angelyn
This thread has made me want to go back and read the series for the 3rd time. Finally catching HBP this weekend

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by todd s

In other news, [url=http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#followup-nicholas-hooper-confirms-he-will-not-score-deathly-hallows-to-film-score-monthly]Nicholas Hooper has confirmed he will NOT be back to score Deathly Hallows, citing a desire to spend more time with his family. Together with John Williams's comment that he'd like to finish what he started and David Heyman stating that they're actively trying to get him back, and it looks like there's a good shot we'll get another Harry Potter score from John Williams.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'd like to see the story of Ravenclaw's diadem expanded or changed in the movie. What I'd do is have the trio encounter a somewhat cured Gilderoy Lockhart and have him connected to the diadem. for instance, Lockhart's only real 'adventure' was when he tried to track down the diadem? from the trio encountering Lockhart and perhaps getting a memory of his, they get a clue that leads them to the next step and then they figure out where it may be hidden by connecting it to dumbledore's memory of Riddle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks