Harry Potter Soundtrack

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Lenhardt, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I just got access to the Harry Potter soundtrack and am listening to it now. It's one of the best soundtracks I've heard in a long, long while. Sounds very vintage Williams. If the movie holds up to the score, we'll have a new classic on our hands! What are all of your opinions on the soundtrack?
    P.S. This isn't on a CD... however, after hearing what I have so far, I'll probably run out and buy one [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist
    Potter is coming...

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I managed to get the good people at my local record store to give me the CD release in advance last week. I agree the music is excellent, all I await now is to see the movie next weekend and spot how much music is missing on the CD.
    For what it's worth, the European 'Philosopher's Stone' CD release is a pretty neat 2 cd edition, the score on disc one with a bonus cd housing wallpaper, trailers and an Electronic Arts game walk through and trailer.
    Dan (UK)
    [Edited last by Dan Brecher on November 01, 2001 at 08:34 AM]

3. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

While I imagine the score working perfectly with the movie, I don't think it's really going to be looked upon as one of the best Williams scores. Don't get me wrong, I like the score, but even among Williams' efforts this year, I prefer A.I. That being said, it certainly is a worthy addition to Williams' distinguished career.

4. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

I personally prefer it over A.I. HP reminds me a bit of Hook but just better.

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I thought A.I was superb, a side to Williams we'd perhaps not experienced before. Whilst definately there are hints of Hook and Witches of Eastwick in Potter I for one am just delighted to hear Williams do fantasy again, it's been a while...
    Dan (UK)

6. andrew markworthy

I agree - an excellent score. If anyone'd like to try a bit of classical music with a very similar 'feel', listen to Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances.

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

While the score is great, I noticed there are only really two completely new pieces on the CD... Harry's Wonderous World and Hedwig's Theme. While cues from the latter are repeated most heavily throughout the score, the former is easily the best track on the CD (and in my opinion one of the best pieces of William's career). Perhaps because I'm so used to his strings/woodwinds heavy scores, a primarily brass piece is refreshing and fantastic. Thinking back many of my favorite Williams pieces are brass-heavy. (Superman being my favorite piece of Williams of all time)
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    My Preorders
    My Wishlist
    Potter is coming...