Harry Potter Release in Canada

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D., Feb 5, 2002.

1. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

I scanned the Software forum and couldn't find anything on this - if I missed it, accept my apologies for starting another thread.

With the announcement of Harry Potter from Warner today, I was wondering if there was any news on a Canadian release. As many may (or may not) be aware, Canadian theaters received the British print - entitled Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Besides the title being different, from what I understand there were changes made for the American audiences.

Just wondering if we will see the British print on the Canadian DVD - that's what I would certainly like to see.

/Jeff

2. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I mentioned this in the Harry Potter thread in Manufacturers Feedback... and apparently a Quebec DVD website says there will be a French language track, and the DVD will indeed be called Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone... just wish I had more proof of that.

Hope that helps.

Chris.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only difference is that where they say "Sorceror" they say "Philosopher"

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

From what I heard there were more differences. Like in the book, some words that they felt British audiences would only understand were "Americanized".

/Jeff

5. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Jeff is correct. It's not just the film's title, but whenever a character utters "Philosopher's Stone" in the Canada/UK cut, there is an alternate take where the performer says "Sorcerer's Stone." It's very evident in the scene where Hermione speaks of it.
    The Canadian release should have a "Dubbed in Quebec" French track as well. Yay. [​IMG]
    Jason

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I have asked the good folk at Canadian based DV Depot to look into this on their forum. Hopefully they can get an answer from Warner.

Dan (UK)

7. Pierre Gagne

Pierre Gagne Agent

Well, dvdenfrancais.com confirms, from a Warner source, that the american version will be titled Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone whereas the canadian one will have Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone. There will also be a french package which, of course, will be titled Harry Potter à l'école des Sorciers. They also report that both french and english track will be DD5.1EX.
    http://www.dvdenfrancais.com/accueil...ns_studios.asp
    Pierre

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Thanks, Pierre!

Dan (UK)

9. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

10. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

John at DV Depot heard back from Warner and they've confirmed again the Canadian release will be the 'Philosopher' version. Yay!

Dan (UK)

11. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I really want the British and original version and unfortunately I live in US where they had to Americanize the movie. Anyway, I went to several Canadian DVD sites and they seem to all list the movie as Sorcerer's Stone. Some use Philosopher for the P&S version and Sorcerer for the widescreen.

So what is going on here? Is there some place I can reliably get a widescreen version of Philosopher’s Stone?

Ron Birk

12. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

13. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

julian, thanks for the link. This site indeed shows what I want to see. The only thing is that I am really worried about their shipping price. They say that they count numbers of discs and not number of titles shipped. Harry Potter is a 2-disc edition and paying $6.70 for shipping one title is a little expensive.

Ron Birk

14. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I think most of DV-Depot's business is overseas, so they set up a great deal with DHL allowing them to send up to seven discs by courier to Europe for less than ten dollars. Their deal doesn't really help when you only want one or two discs sent to the US.
    The reason that they count discs rather than titles is that their deal with DHL is weight-related. I think their aim is to keep parcels under 1kg, which translates to 7 discs.
    You might want to pick up a few other Canadian exclusive discs while you're there - underneath their banner click on the 'Canadian' logo.
    There are some good titles there - some exclusive to Canada, others with bonus material not on the US discs (like Ginger Snaps and eXistenZ . Watch out for a few stinkers, though, like the truly horrible pan-and-scan version of Heavenly Creatures !

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

16. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The Widescreen version is listed as Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone at DVDboxoffice.com. If you don't like to have to pay for shipping, I suggest you get it from there since shipping is free when you buy from them. [​IMG]