What's new

Harry Potter-Possible OAR Saviour? (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Saw Harry Potter last night, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the film was in 2.35:1 (I have a bad eye for these things without a side by side comparisson). One of the things that stood out though is that the film was obviously composed for this framing, since there are several sequences that will look simply TERRIBLE in pan&scan. With the ravenous fanbase that the book has (and I'm sure that the movie will have), is this not the PERFECT time to extole the benefits of OAR? Get em while they're young!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
The film is indeed shot in 2.35:1 and I'm 100% positive when Harry Potter is released for DVD, there will be a widescreen version (noticing Warner, they'll also release a pan & scan version) or Warner will have hell to pay from Chris Columbus.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"Let me rest in peace, let me get some sleep. Let me take my love and bury it, in a hole six foot deep."

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Maybe Chris Columbus could interfere here, but this would be a great DVD for Warner to do a Die Hard type spot about the benefits of widescreen and OAR. It's sure to be right up there with Matrix, Shrek, Gladiator, and Phantom Menace.
Knowing Warner, this will be along the lines of Cats and Dogs. They'll have seperate releases which are supposed to be on the same day but the WS version will be in short supply at major retailers. This will cause the FS version to sell more and give them more ammo in the P&S/FS debate.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Of course, we can only hope that Chris Columbus interferes and refuses to allow WB to release in P&S....
Hey, it could happen!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I really woudn't worry too much about this film, we'll be fine on this one.
And in the off chance we're not fine, if Warner thought we tore them a new arse with 'Willy Wonka' and 'Cat's and Dog's', well this would definatly put us at Defcon 1!
As for the topic at hand well, I agree, this film is going to be huge with children, and it's THE perfect time to educate them, before Joe and Jane get their claws into them.
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
This movie was shot Super 35. I doubt this would be the first widescreen demo you would want to show Joe Six Pack.... I'm sure Warner will release a widescreen and full frame version.

Rolando

Screenwriter
Screwed again...
F*cking Super 35... Like J6P is not confused enough as it is...
------------------
Rolando Avendano

MathewM

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't seen the film yet. However, everything I've read about the film implies that it is sfx heavy. As others have stated, usually a studio will not spend the extra money to do sfx for anything other than the theatrical ratio which in this case is 2.35:1 . Harry Potter might be an exception but I doubt it. Look for a dual release come this summer unless Columbus or better yet J.K. Rowling *sp?* has any thing to say about it.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
If it was shot in Super 35, then all scenes that feature SFX will be pan and scanned (which is a majority of the movie).
IIRC, J.K. Rowling (sp?) has total creative control over everything dealing with the movie, so if she pefers widescreen, maybe we won't be seeing a pan & scan release of this movie after all.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"Let me rest in peace, let me get some sleep. Let me take my love and bury it, in a hole six foot deep."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
J.K. Rowling (sp?) has total creative control over everything dealing with the movie, so if she pefers widescreen, maybe we won't be seeing a pan & scan release of this movie after all.
Let's hope she's not one of those people who hates black bars. We could end up with p&s only.
angry.gif

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
What is silly about it? If you think the possibility of a pan & scan only edition of what studios will think of as a children's film, especially if the people in control don't like black bars is silly, then you must not remember Willy Wonka. Yes, we fought that, and yes we'd almost certainly be able to fight this successfully, but IMHO, speculating about the possibility of the studios trying it isn't silly.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
I seriously doubt this film will appear only in P&S. It would be a travesty. There isn't a single shot in this film that would even be acceptable in 1.33:1.
I actually think a lot of people will want the widescreen for this one. There are a ton of shots of the three kids doing things. If they hack the picture, only one or two of the kids will appear. Let me tell you, children watching this movie will most certainly notice this. And nothing sells merchandise like kids who want something....

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
This same discussion is going on over at DVDtalk.com we know WB's record on screwing up releases. We know that anything they consider a "family film" isn't worthy of widescreen. Not to mention, with the film's running time of 2:33, It had better be a 2-disc set, so that they can include alot of special features without sacrificing picture quality. Sadly, WB isn't known for their 2-disc sets. Not to mention, ugh....it'll be in a bloody snapper case.
If anyone is intrested in the extensive thread over at DVDtalk.com the direct link is as follows:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=159021
MTFBWY and HH!!
Mike
------------------
View my Mediocre DVD collection
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Knowing that Warner isn't much for two-disc sets and their pan and scam pushing, I would imagine there will be pan and scam and widescreen disc available separately. I think they will be separate because there will be too many extras with this movie to include on one side and have both framings of the movie on disc.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
By the way, why does Warner support the snapper case so much? Are they really saving that much money on them? Or do they just not care what the fans prefer (as what's happened before)? No one I know likes the snapper - even non HT enthusiasts.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Warner supports the snapper case so much, beacause they own the company that created them. So, until they finally get it thru their heads that the snapper is almost universaly hated, we are stuck with it. I can understand them not wanting to go to a outside company for keep cases, but why not invent a new style of keepcase, to keep both sides happy.
MTFBWY and HH!!
Mike
------------------
View my Mediocre DVD collection
I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion, and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
About the Super-35 format. I remember vaguely that the reason the format is used heavily these days is that the spherical lenses used with the format ensure that all straight edges are as straight as possible across the image area. One common problem with anamorphic lenses is that they often introduce curvature in the straight edges. If your movie has plenty of digital special effects, it's much easier to integrate them in an original image that's the least distorted as possible.
My money is on Warner screwing up the DVD one way or another unless there's a dramatic change in management personnel in the DVD production department.
------------------
The Milnoc
News, Views, DVD Reviews.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
What a bunch of cynics.
Overall, Warner has done a great job with DVD.
I predict the case will be like the "Citizen Kane" package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks