What's new

Harry Potter OWNS all large screens - SPY GAME will play in janitorial rooms (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Paul
Good One:)
Yeah..That "British Twit" kicked some serious Yankee Ass this weekend no matter which way you look at it. Very impressive indeed.
And don't forget that George Lucas demanded and imposed stricter guidelines to theater owners showing Episode 1 stating that it must be shown in the biggest, best auditoriums in every theater for at least 4 weeks I believe. Talk about hogging up the best screens.
BTW, I for one am happy for Harry's success. This wonderful film deserves it.:)

Shad R

Supporting Actor
At the Denver Colorado Center, Monsters Inc. was playing on the IMAX SCREEN, and one other screen! Harry Potter was playing on three screens, shallow hal was on 2,K-Pax and Riding in Cars With Boys(I didn't know that was even still out) were both on one. The smaller screens are still decent, with Dolby Digital. But the Imax has Dolby Digital EX, and SDDS capability. I wonder why they showed Monsters Inc. Instead of Harry Potter on that one.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Just thought you might like to know Spy Game is a quick moving, entertaining movie. Don't really feel like saying much else right now, but I saw it tonight and found it engaging for two hours.

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
I saw Harry Potter on the "Imax Screen" Shad and let me tell you, HYPE. The screen at the Continental is EASILY much larger, it is as large as the real Imax Screen at the Museum. Ill stick to the Denver Pavillons now, as the screens there are fine. I feel bad for you guys that have janitorial closet screens, here too in Denver the multiplex boom hit HARD and any theater without stadium seating and DD/SDDS/DTS turned into a dollar theater (One exception I can think of)

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on the theater, some theaters might be moving screens of Monsters, Inc. to the "janitorial rooms" to put new films like Spy Game and Black Knight on the decent sized screens
I wish. Not around here. Monsters Inc was moved to the mid-grade screens for Potter. Nothing is left.

Paul W

Second Unit
Richard, maybe it's a regional thing, but HP was still selling out here (I don't know about today, though). If folks in CT (or wherever your sister lives) aren't filling up, then theater owners should be arranging their screens to maximize profits. However, I can't imagine that more people want to Spy Game than HP, so perhaps they let the big theater stay half full.
Also, I agree that you need some new theaters (or maybe to move where better theaters are - Sam Kennison, anybody? - or maybe drop some money on a big RPTV, stereo and enjoy movies at your house. I know I do).
:D

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
However, I can't imagine that more people want to Spy Game than HP, so perhaps they let the big theater stay half full.
Most of the local theaters will have 4 to 5 copies of Potter and 1, just 1 copy of SPY GAME. One theater will have 2 copies of Spy Game. All of these Spy Game prints will be on the smallest screen. There is no reason for this. None. Potter WILL have non-sellouts, while Spy Game will most assuridly sell out, since there are barely any seats. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread