harry potter no. 5 at last on the way!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, Sep 19, 2002.

1. andrew markworthy

From this morning's (London) Times:
    MILLIONS of children and their parents can relax. J. K. Rowling was working yesterday on the final stages of the fifth Harry Potter novel. It may even be ready for Christmas.
    In an exclusive interview with The Times, Rowling said not only that she has not been suffering from writer’s block but also that she is expecting a new baby to join her daughter Jessica next spring. Amidst the “indescribable mess” in her Edinburgh office, there is a “little oasis”, she says, where the manuscript is stacked, “nice, neat, pristine and big” — as big, she thinks, as The Goblet of Fire (636 pages).
    The words have been flowing, she says, in spite of the action against her in the United States where she was falsely accused of plagiarism, an accusation comprehensively dismissed by a judge in New York on Tuesday night. The novel, entitled Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, is already readable and she is happy with the result. She is now at the tweaking stage. So can her millions of readers expect a Christmas present? “Possibly”. There is a deep, throaty chuckle.
    Some would interpret that warm chuckle as a “Yes”, I suggest. “Maybe”, she murmurs, meanwhile emphasising that the decision when to publish rests with Bloomsbury, her publisher. The Goblet of Fire emerged from a long and painful labour, and the editing was rushed to meet her publisher’s deadline. She was determined that she would not allow herself to be rushed on the fifth novel.
    Rowling has now plotted the sixth and seventh novels, and after 11 years considers that she is on the home stretch. The seventh Harry Potter, she confirms, will definitely be the last.
    There's also a couple of related articles. Try:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/

2. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Man, I'm glad to hear this news!

I am new to the series. I read the books last fall after persistent badgering from many friends. I'm one of the MANY people that didn't want anything to do with HP since it was for kids. Then got convinced to read it and realized how close minded they were.

Awesome series, thanks for the news!

-Marshall

3. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

She also just won the alleged plagiarism lawsuit.
    The Judge found soundly in JK's favor and fined the complainant $50K for filing a fraudulent case.

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I never even heard of Harry Potter until the movie came out and I didnt see it until it was released on DVD.
    I liked the movie so I got the book sand read them all in a week[​IMG]
    Thanks for the info.

5. Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins Supporting Actor

6. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Why is it news that the 5th book is "on the way"? It's been "on the way" for a long time. [​IMG]
    The real news will be an announced "for sale" date.

7. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Great news! I am a Potter-addict. [​IMG]

8. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

In my opinion, don't expect Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix until around May-June 2003.
    The reason is simple: not only is there the need for the editors to completely go through the manuscript to make sure all errors are corrected, but there is also the issue of translating the corrected manuscript to multiple languatges, too. Don't forget we have to release this book in the following languages: English (both British and American editions), French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and several others. The reason is that by the the May-June 2003 release date most of the world would have gotten at least Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire published, and they will all eagerly await the next book. [​IMG]
    There's also the issue of getting enough printing capacity for the book, too. We're talking at least 5.3 million copies in hardback for the British and American English editions in the first printing, something that will need lots of reserving time at book printing plants.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Franklly, it doesnmatter WHEN they release it, it will sell bajillions

10. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

I've waited a long time, and I'll just keep waiting [​IMG] There's plenty of other good books coming out, including the pre-pre trilogy of Dune. [​IMG]

11. andrew markworthy

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Robert's "on the way" is equivalent to "I'm going to die". The London Times' (and Andrew's [​IMG] ) "on the way" is much more exciting!
    My son owns all 4, and we all love those books, so we certainly will have no. 5 shortly after it's for sale, even if we would have to visit London for it this Christmas (but presumably, we won't even have to do that, although it's a nice excuse). Good news!
    Cees

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Can't wait!

15. andrew markworthy

June 28th according to some of the Brit newspapers and TV programmes, but certainly a Saturday so that kids don't miss school by queuing up for it.

It's said to be about a third longer than the Goblet of Fire, so we're talking about a *big* book by children's (or even adults') standards.

Here's the dilemma - do I order from Amazon and *hope* it arrives on the release day, or queue up at a store?

16. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    It's going to kick the movies in the nutz that weekend. I will be reading it by 12:10 AM on whichever Saturday it's released. And I probably won't be able to put it down until my wofe pries it from my hands for her turn.

Can't wait!

Take care,
    Chuck

17. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Saturday June 21 according to the Bloomsbury website. There's an embargo on it being released before 00:01 British Summer Time so there'll be queues around the world. If there wasn't I bet some people would fly to New Zealand to get the book 12 hours ahead of the UK release [​IMG]

18. Deborah*T

Deborah*T Agent

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Can't wait!
    I will be going to a store to queue up for it I think. It'll be a rare old time and good fun with all the little kids and big kids like us queueing up for it.
    [​IMG]
    I say make that weekend a long one in every country...Monday off for all!!

19. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Great news! Just saw it on TV too. Can't wait!