What's new

Harry Potter - May 2002 (1 Viewer)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Any why is that Brian? Because MattyB didn't happen to know about the history behind the term? Godforbid that someone might actually LEARN something by reading one of these books. Why is it that everything that the USA touches has to be "Americanized"? To be honest, I'm surprised that the publisher didn't try to make hogwarts located just outside of new york, and Harry and Ron into Texans, and Quidditch into "wizard baseball".
I would like to apologize for my fellow Canadian's complete misunderstanding of the previous post. The whoosh sound will end momentarily. :)

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Alhough I must say that this post has gotten a bit off track, I do want to say that I just saw the movie about an hour ago, and, in the book Hermione brings, it says "Sorcerer's Stone." Also, Hermione says "Sorcerer's Stone" on camera once or maybe twice in that same scene. In any case, does anyone know if there was a lot cut from the film (for possible inclusion on said DVD)?h

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I do want to say that I just saw the movie about an hour ago, and, in the book Hermione brings, it says "Sorcerer's Stone." Also, Hermione says "Sorcerer's Stone" on camera once or maybe twice in that same scene.
These were scenes shot for the North American version, and different takes of the same scenes will be used for the rest of the world, where the title remains "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, I recall reading that the scene with the book was shot twice...once with the prop book that said "Philosopher's Stone", and again with the prop book that said "Sorcerer's Stone".
I'm pretty sure that when I saw the film it said "Sorcerer's Stone". :)
Other than that and the title sequence and some dubbed lines, I don't see that there will be much difference. But, since R1 includes Canada, and in Canada the film is shown as "Phil. Stone", I'm almost sure both versions will end up on the R1 disc using seamless branching. After all, this is Warner Bros. we're talking about, who CARE about the original theatrical experience each of us had. /sarcasm off
As to how much cut scenes there are, there's a mythical 4½ hour "complete" version of the film, where Chris Columbus supposedly shot everything in the book scene-for-scene. I think this is rubbish, an urban legend in the making. Just like the mythical 6 hour cut of Titanic.
And let's not forget the supposed 4-hour cut of Dune, which I can safely say that I have never seen!
No, the shots that are in the film different from the book seem composed that way - on purpose - from scratch. I doubt that they spent time and money shooting extra stuff on purpose...they knew they'd have to trim down and throw out stuff if they did. Why waste the bucks?

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Even though Canada is in R1 we often get seperate releases with French Language tracks.

I was sitting in the movie on sunday when I heard them say Philsopher's stone. I whipped my movie ticket stub to read it because I had assumed we were getting the same release as the US...apparently not.

I find it amusing that with the books/movies canadians get Philosopher's stone as opposed to Sorceror's stone as if we have some sort of higher understanding...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks