What's new

Harry Potter: Goblet Of Fire, Which Version? (1 Viewer)

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
This will be the first time I've passed on a much-awaited new release due to a studio's pricing strategy. I own the previous three 2-disc sets but I feel like I'm being jobbed on this release. I already have the movie disc on the way from Netflix and then I'll wait and buy the 2-disc set when it inevitably drops down to 10 bucks in a few months. Guess I'm just getting cheap and grumpy in my old age.

Nathan A

Second Unit

You're referring to the $20 price? So you paid $18 for the last two? That's more than the B&M stores sold them for. For me personally, I paid $15 for two of the first three and only $10 for one of them (all on release day). So this $5 increase is fairly significant. I could get another movie from DDD or the Wal-Mart bin!

Also, although this may not seem like much to you, $2 can be the difference for some people between getting a new release and not getting it. Some people might pick up a movie if it's only $15, but those same people might pass at $17. And really, why should you have to accept any non-inflation related increase?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No offense, but (IMHO) I don't think that's any reason to bitch about a DVD company. If that $2 is going to break you, then you might want to look into why that is, instead of taking your anger out on the DVD companies. ;)

smurr05

Auditioning
I had never picked up any of the 1rst 3 -2 disc releases until a few months ago when Target had them all on sale for $5.88, so a little extra for the 2 disc version this time is alright with me. I'll be hitting Target as well for this one.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I just picked up the 2-disc set and atleast the canadian holographic copy is english only so it looks very nice lined up to the others :D

Nathan A

Second Unit

Like I said, it's $5 more in my case, which, again, is enough for an entire, separate DVD! It's clear that you don't mind paying the extra money. How does this sound: the studio releases it as a 2-disc set only that sells for $15 (like the last 3 releases). Then, those customers who like giving the studios extra money for the same product can send Warner a check in the mail for the extra $2-$5. Everyone wins!

Ridiculous, eh? But if you wouldn't send them an extra check, then I don't see how you can be happy (and expect others to be happy) about being asked to pay an extra $2-$5 for this.

As for $2 being the difference between getting a new release and passing on it, I meant it as a psychological issue. Whereas $15 is a figure many folks don't mind paying, $17 will make many of those same people think twice, even if it is an affordable difference of only $2.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Nathan, sorry to rant, but these money talks always get me in a tizzy :D

The thing that bugs me is, no one sees it from the studios (business) perspective and decides to bash the studio for "greed", when I truly believe there's another reason behind it all.

The way I see it is, the studio put out these 2 disc editions in the past. Considering the cost to produce 2 discs, the price was set at an above average (over other single disc DVD's).

That was fine to begin with, but with the popularity of DVD, the studios are looking to sell more and more DVD's. Knowing that a 'cheaper' edition would please more consumers, they went with a single and a double disc version.

Now they could have just gone with the 2 disc edition and sold plenty, but with the addition of the single discs, they'll definitely sell MANY more.

BUT! Now that there are 2 editions out there, the casual DVD buyer will most likely buy the single disc version, making the 2 disc version a bit more of a "collectors" item. Since the 2 disc won't sell as well, the studio needs to get some of that profit back by raising the price a bit.

Some might call that greed on the studios part, but the way I see it, it's the people (who can't afford the 2 discs set) that are making the 2 disc set a "Collectors" edition and they are the ones driving the price up.

If people just stuck to the more expensive DVD's, then we wouldn't have this problem, but since most people are looking for the 'cheap' version, it's causing the fully loaded discs to become less and less of a "wanted Item" and thus, the increase in the price.

I say that anyone who buys the single edition, is just adding to the marketing research that people aren't willing to spend the extra $$ on 'loaded' discs and that will only make things worse for the future. :frowning:

Again, that's my opinion ;)

p.s. No offense to those who truly can't afford it, but I don't buy the rationale:
"I can't afford it because the studio is greedy by raising the price of the loaded version"

I see it as:
"The studio is catering to those who can't afford the loaded discs, by offering them a cheap alternative. This alternative (unfortunately) drives up the price of the loaded ones."

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
The problem I see with your logic Mark is that these 2 disc sets that are now selling for $22.99 were selling for $14.99 previously.

When Harry Potter and the PoA came out last year the price on the 2-DVD set was $14.99 if I recall correctly. I know that it was that way for the first 2 movies.

So, the question becomes are we getting more value for our dollars with the 2 DVD sets that have been coming out lately with the increased pricing, or are we getting the same value we always received, but now we have to pay a higher price to get it?

My belief is the latter. There is no increased benefit that I see with this Goblet of Fire release than what was previously released. Yet, if I want the equivalent product that came out previously I am now being asked to pay significantly more.

It's not like the single disc is being sold for $9.99. It is being sold for $14.99 which was the price we were paying before for the 2 disc sets.

No thanks, I say. I'll wait for 6 months when the price drops, or next year or so when the next movie comes out and I can get this for $10.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

Exactly. If you pay the same price as before, you get less content.

I may wait for a Thanksgiving sale or something to pick this up.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Is it really the studios who are gaining here? I thought the price difference between the two were quite close. Isn't it the retailers who are creating the large price difference here? So they would be the ones to gain from this.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. I decided to save my money and get the one disc. The bonus material on the Potter series has never truly impressed me anyway. Then my wife goes out to Target today and gets the two disc with the 3D cover. It seems she wanted the two disc version. I don't really get it. She barely watches movies and never watches bonus material. But that's what she wanted, so I get the two disc after all. :laugh:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

You've made it plain on many occasions in the past that you have money to burn. The price increase isn't as easy to absorb for many average joes (especially given the history of cheap, 2-disc releases in this franchise).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That's not what gets me angry. It's when people complain that it's the studios fault that they can't afford it :rolleyes

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I picked up the Two-Disc SE for $14.99 today. :D

I had printed the Online Weekly Best Buy ad advertising the single disc version for $14.99. WallyWorld price matched the two-disc SE with the single-disc ad.

Nathan A

Second Unit

I don't think many people would say this. I never did. It's that we don't want to pay more money for the same amount of product. And why in the world would we be happy with getting less product if we're spending the same amount of money?

Kin Poon

Stunt Coordinator
man...they did the same crap on Batman Begin, for a college student, that extra 5-6bux means alot to me.

Oh well since all my other batman's are 1disc editions, i bought the 1 disc batman begin as well.

Now for harry potter...man...ugh

I'm gonna wait for this at gamestop or EBgames when its used for like 14.99 since these two stores disregard the fact of dvd's being either 2disc or 1disc versions.

Cliff C

Grip
Here in Canada, the price has really increased at Best Buy/Futureshop.
Here's what I paid in the past:

Harry Potter 1: $19.99
Harry Potter 2: $19.99
Harry Potter 3: $22.99

The new Harry Potter:
Single: $23.99
2-disc: $29.99

That's a little steep for the 2-disc edition.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Why do you always have to compare like that? Because the previous editions USED to be cheaper? LOTS of things USED to be cheaper. That's the way the world works.

Why can't the more recent edition be more money without resorting to "The Studios are Evil" lines?

And if you want to compare, ok, I can do that.

2 disc version = $22
1 disc version = $15 (I'll give you that)

That means that with the 2 disc verison, I'm getting the movie disc for $11 (i.e. $22 / 2). Isn't that LESS than the single disc version? Why pay $4 more for the single disc? ;)

The old HP's used to be $18, that's $9 per disc. Why should you be happy with the $15 single edition because aren't you technically paying MORE for that single disc than in the past?

Nathan A

Second Unit
Not evil, just greedy. I don't see how it can be seen any other way. It's not an inflationary increase. It was already profitable; they were making money. Now they're making more money. That's greed.

At any rate, I do hope you enjoy your DVD. I thought it was the best of the HP movies thus far; perhaps I'll have reason to pick it up sometime down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks