What's new

harry potter fullscreen (1 Viewer)

Simon Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
hi there, just bought the region 2 dvd of Harry Potter and it is not widescreen but 4:3, I live in South Africa and am wondering if any other region 2 countries have the same ratio, or do they have the widescreen version.

I read ron's review for the region 1 disk and it is presented in 2:35:1.

how much picture and I missing

Thanks

TheoGB

Screenwriter
You can get UK R2 in 2.35:1 so I would think you should be able to pick it up from somewhere - what about a SA mailorder company?

Simon Brooke

Stunt Coordinator
our online dvd stores also ship fullscreen versions, i thought the disk was made in europe and imported here

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
There were 2 versions produced in the UK for R2 a widescreen and full screen. This is the first time Warner have done this in the UK.

I am not sure if you got the choice in South Africa. Worth checking as the w/s may well be available.
I did see that in Australia Warner only released the full screen version despite the UK version being dual encoded R2 & R4 so they had to import a UK w/s disk which would play on unmodified players there.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
In R2 Germany only widescreen was released, Often R2 UK gets p&s versions and cuts to the films that the rest of R2 Europe does not I am always careful to make sure before ordering anything from the UK that it is correct aspect and nothing has been cut.
kd

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Simon,
I believe that 'Harry Potter' was filmed in Super 35, so you'll actually gain picture info at the top and bottom on the full screen version that is matted over on the wide screen edition. However, you should always go for the OAR version, that's the films proper composition and the way the filmmakers intended it to be seen. Widescreen is not only about getting more picture on the sides.

The correct composition is what widescreen and OAR are all about.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
But very very rarely at the expense of a widescreen version, surely? In fact non-w/s DVDs are still very rare in this country...
Theo I agree with you, as I said in my original post.
This is the FIRST simultaneous p/s and w/s release in the UK. It is very rare as titles like LOTR are only being released as w/s here when the US has both versions.

In the UK p/s is mainly used by the small distributors all majors release in w/s.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Sorry guys if I spoke too soon, After Sleeping Beauty was released only p&s with both Germany and France getting the widescreen version I started making sure to check beside cuts that the films are correct aspect, Its good to know that Sleeping Beauty was not the norm.
kd

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
This website has a comparision of fullscreen and widescreen presentations of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone.
As I have heard that Chris Columbus is a director that composes in 4:3 but presents in widescreen, it is an interesting debate whether this film is "better" in widescreen or in fullscreen. The referenced website shows a few scenes where widescreen might be preferred (eg. the heads of Fluffy) and a few where fullscreen might be preferred. (eg. invitation letter.)
As a supporter of OAR, I bought the widescreen version of HP&tSS. However, I also wanted to get the OTR (Original Title Representation), so also picked up the Japanese R2 version so that I could enjoy Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Actually I'm sure someone said that Sleeping Beauty was due to get a W/S release here too, or something???

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Sam, Originally intended to get the Canadian version, but really liked the sample of the Japanese dub track included in the extras of the R1 film. As a result, wanted to hear the entire movie in Japanese, so went with the Japanese R2 instead of the Canadian R1.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
It was the Holy Grail LD that had the full Japanese dub. This was reduced to a single scene on the second disc for the DVD release (much to my disappointment.)

I like the Harry Potter Japanese dub because it makes the movie sound like a live-action fantasy anime movie. Considering the fantasy world that is Harry Potter, this is something that clicked for me and I enjoyed.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Actually I'm sure someone said that Sleeping Beauty was due to get a W/S release here too, or something???
The 2 disk w/s SE did appear on a future release schedule for Disney in the UK, due out around November. Howvever on official press releases they are only upto early October so would expect some announcement in a couple of months.

I would expect it to appear at some stage, as Disney have already paid to have all the extras rated by the BBFC so they are all ready to go. For some reason it was pulled just prior to the release and we only got the 1 disk p/s. The UK w/s version was even reviewed by R2 Project who got a review copy, so its just of case of putting it on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks