harry potter fullscreen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Brooke, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

hi there, just bought the region 2 dvd of Harry Potter and it is not widescreen but 4:3, I live in South Africa and am wondering if any other region 2 countries have the same ratio, or do they have the widescreen version.

I read ron's review for the region 1 disk and it is presented in 2:35:1.

how much picture and I missing

Thanks

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

You can get UK R2 in 2.35:1 so I would think you should be able to pick it up from somewhere - what about a SA mailorder company?

3. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

our online dvd stores also ship fullscreen versions, i thought the disk was made in europe and imported here

4. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

There were 2 versions produced in the UK for R2 a widescreen and full screen. This is the first time Warner have done this in the UK.

I am not sure if you got the choice in South Africa. Worth checking as the w/s may well be available.
    I did see that in Australia Warner only released the full screen version despite the UK version being dual encoded R2 & R4 so they had to import a UK w/s disk which would play on unmodified players there.

5. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    In R2 Germany only widescreen was released, Often R2 UK gets p&s versions and cuts to the films that the rest of R2 Europe does not I am always careful to make sure before ordering anything from the UK that it is correct aspect and nothing has been cut.
    kd

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Simon,
    I believe that 'Harry Potter' was filmed in Super 35, so you'll actually gain picture info at the top and bottom on the full screen version that is matted over on the wide screen edition. However, you should always go for the OAR version, that's the films proper composition and the way the filmmakers intended it to be seen. Widescreen is not only about getting more picture on the sides.

The correct composition is what widescreen and OAR are all about.

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

8. Malcolm Cleugh

9. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    Sorry guys if I spoke too soon, After Sleeping Beauty was released only p&s with both Germany and France getting the widescreen version I started making sure to check beside cuts that the films are correct aspect, Its good to know that Sleeping Beauty was not the norm.
    kd

10. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

This website has a comparision of fullscreen and widescreen presentations of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone.
    As I have heard that Chris Columbus is a director that composes in 4:3 but presents in widescreen, it is an interesting debate whether this film is "better" in widescreen or in fullscreen. The referenced website shows a few scenes where widescreen might be preferred (eg. the heads of Fluffy) and a few where fullscreen might be preferred. (eg. invitation letter.)
    As a supporter of OAR, I bought the widescreen version of HP&tSS. However, I also wanted to get the OTR (Original Title Representation), so also picked up the Japanese R2 version so that I could enjoy Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Actually I'm sure someone said that Sleeping Beauty was due to get a W/S release here too, or something???

12. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Rich P, why didn't you just buy the R1 Canadian widescreen version? [​IMG]

13. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

Sam, Originally intended to get the Canadian version, but really liked the sample of the Japanese dub track included in the extras of the R1 film. As a result, wanted to hear the entire movie in Japanese, so went with the Japanese R2 instead of the Canadian R1.

14. Sam Owens

Sam Owens Stunt Coordinator

Is the Japanese dub as good as the one on the Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD?

15. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

It was the Holy Grail LD that had the full Japanese dub. This was reduced to a single scene on the second disc for the DVD release (much to my disappointment.)

I like the Harry Potter Japanese dub because it makes the movie sound like a live-action fantasy anime movie. Considering the fantasy world that is Harry Potter, this is something that clicked for me and I enjoyed.

16. Malcolm Cleugh