1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter DVD (merged thread)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andrew markworthy, May 9, 2002.

1. andrew markworthy

It's officially coming out in the UK on May 11th and my copy arrived this morning a couple of days earlier than expected, so I've just watched it with my kids.

I can't do the review the full justice which the official HTF will give it, and I'm not even going to try. However, in brief:

(a) when I saw the movie a mere day after its official release, the film I saw was scratched and dirty and the sound in places was not very clear. Also, there were points where the lighting balance just didn't seem right - e.g. the scene just after Christmas where Harry releases Hedwig in the snowy courtyard appeared over-bright. I thought this was all the fault of the cinema projectionist. However, the transfer, although visually clean, appears over-exposed at just the same points. Again, to my ears at times it seems to have a slightly muddled sound (perhaps it will be better in 5.1, I was listening to it through my (good)stereo, but having said that, I haven't had problems with other movies). In short, good, but not demonstration quality IMHO.

(b) the extras are pretty much aimed at kids, and certainly my two(aged 6 and 8) love them. There's a tour of Hagrid's hut, Gryffindor common room, etc, and certain sections (e.g. Diagon Alley) can only be accessed by solving (simple) puzzles. I imagine that those sad souls who felt the extras should be adult-orientated will hate these.

(c) curiously, I found myself enjoying the movie more at home than at the cinema. The quidditch match made more visual sense and what I thought was a rather disjointed plot the first time around was mutch better on a second viewing.

I'd finish by saying that this is a must-have for anyone with Potter-mad kids, but that is self-evident.

2. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Is the movie being released on DVD worldwide on the 28th of May or is it being released in the UK first around the 16th.

Also if it is being released in the UK early is it the same quality as what we would get here and would it play in my 4 year old Proscan DVD Player?

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

In today's issue(5/9)of USA Today. They have an article about a party in England celebrating the worldwide release of the movie. They discuss that they have 45 more days of shooting the sequel, which will be out on Nov.15. But, what kills me is that the dvd's the cast is holding are alpha's and not snappers. Which you know is what we are getting.

4. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I'm 95% sure that Harry Potter is not in a snapper case.

5. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Yeah, I believe it's in a case like Dr. Zhivago was, cardboard fold in slipcase.
    The picture is here
    Chris.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The UK version is out on Saturday, actually places are opening to sell it from midnight Friday. They had the launch for it yesterday with some cast & crew present showing off the (god awful) region 2 artwork.

Todd, the box is not an alpha, it is one of the cardboard slipcases, even the region 2 version. At the launch they had a witch reading out the inserts on the inner fold out flaps and she did a gag where the DVD box cuaght fire as she read it out.

Bill, if you want the PAL R2, you can have it as of Saturday providing your hardware meets the playback requirements for PAL video listed above. Canadian R1 for me all the way frankly (for various reasons I shant bother going into).

Dan

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Good stuff, Andrew! You know my stance on the three letter issue beginning with 'P' ([​IMG]) so its obviously the Canadian R1 for me in a couple of weeks time. Still, same specs, so I am really looking forward to it!
    I've caught a lot of the coverage of disc 2 on tv these past two weeks. Disc 2 does seem rather clever in its execution I must admit, and I am sure even a Hogwarts boffin slightly above the target audience of the supplemental section like myself will enjoy messing around with what is on offer once or twice, but from there, the repeat value I have to question.
    I am glad you have taken to the film more.
    Dan

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

The NTSC -> PAL issue isn't a big one. Chances are, if your DVD player doesn't do it, your TV will. It's the Region 2 issue. Unless your DVD player is non-region or Region 0 (which I highly doubt), it's not worth it.

And while the picture quality for PAL is greater, the movie is sped up due to the framerate. PAL speeds the movie up from 24 frames per second to 25 frames per second. NTSC is 30 frames per second, but duplicates 6 frames each second to maintain the original soundtrack and speed.

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

11. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

12. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

It will be released May 15 here in Japan and available May 14 where I will get it. By the way, it is the Philosopher's Stone named disc here in Japan.

13. andrew markworthy

I think the extras will have repeat value for kids, but not for adults. I can see the DVD player being requisitioned to play disc 2 for most of this weekend.

14. andrew markworthy

Erm, guys, I got my copy yesterday and I've already posted a review of it on this forum!It's here.
    The case isn't a snapper (though I suspect after an initial run it may be. Mine came in a laminated cardboard sleeve. You pull out an innner laminated cardboard case which folds out. It looks quite pretty but not v. durable given that kids are likely to be using it.
    Oh yes, and PAL is *not* inferior to NTSC. Both have their merits and faults. PAL has a problem (which some people never notice anyway) with speed-up when showing movies (and *please* let's not rake that up again) and NTSC has slightly poorer picture quality.

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

True, Adam, true, I just didn't really want to go into the whole PAL issue, but I could have touched upon Canada getting the 'Philosopher' incarnation of the movie, sure.

Dan

16. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

When is the reissue planned? [​IMG] U know there will be one, probably this time next year with audio commentaries and a huge doc.

17. RexW

RexW Stunt Coordinator

Like was mentioned before. It's going to be released next week here in Japan. NTSC and the Philosopher's Stone title.
    Already got mine reserved.[​IMG]

18. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

My copy arrived yesterday as well, and I do have to say that the extras on Disc 2 are a right royal pain. My Pioneer 515 has never been the fastest menu navigator, but I had it get stuck without a highlighted option twice (something that has only previously happened to me on the DTS ES 'The Haunting' disc) and getting anywhere was a laborious nightmare. Personally, I'll be waiting until one of the egg sites tells me which titles the deleted scenes are on. The sound level in the extras was strangely low as well; when I went back to Disc 1 to check the trailers and a bit of the film out (I didn't have time last night to watch it properly) the Warner logo nearly took my head off!

19. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Dharmesh, don't joke. Chris Columbus was interviewed on Newsround the other week and made mention that "whilst you'll see him in Chamber of Secrets, you wont see Peeves in this issue off the DVD"...
    Dan

20. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

The R2 Project has got a story up on how to find the deleted scenes. You can find it here. I saw that Newsround interview as well Dan. Columbus practically said that there would be another version in the future. Oh well I'll still be picking it up tomorrow as I can't wait to see the film again.
    Richard