What's new

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (1 Viewer)

Galen_V

Second Unit
Yeah, I suppose. Some of the scenes didn't work with the music, the werewolf and the dementors for instance. But it was perfect for the flight of the hippogriff. The movie appears to be suitably dark, but I was just saying that WB emphasizing some of the lighter aspects of the film in the music was legitimate.
For me, it was just a little weird hearing that uplifting music and then seeing the tag line "Something Wicked This Way Comes" on screen. Like you said, it matches some parts of the scenes shown, but not all of them. I think their intentions were to include the now well-known "Harry Potter theme" (I think it's called Hedwig's Flight, or something or other) in the trailer in some fashion, they just didn't do it too well. Instead of it kicking in when we see Hadgrid it probably should have cued up for the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban logo. However, it says something about how good this movie looks if all we can criticize about the trailer is the music. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
And I FINALLY heard the dialogue right, thanks to the trailer.

Earlier in the thread, I said that in the teaser, it sounded as though Mr. Weasley said "you must promise me you'll go looking for Black", which was at odds with the book. But the trailer sounds much clearer: "...you WON'T go looking for Black". Oops :b

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Why is dark such a requisite. If something slips through the cracks as optimistic and sweet, it's condemned as bland and unoriginal. But despite 95% of movies anymore being dark and dreary, the stigma associated with them remains daring and original. I just don't understand it."

Why are "dark" films valued? Well, as a child, you're bombarded with optimism -- from Sesame Street to the generic posters that hang on the walls of your elementary school classrooms (like pictures of kittens dangling from a rope underneath the banner, "Hang in There!", etc.).

At this age, you're generally not allowed to watch more serious films or films with violence or gore. Since you are told you can watch them when you are older, you naturally assume such films are "adult" films, while cheery optimistic films are "children's" films. This association lasts well into your young adulthood, and some keep it their entire lives.

The other perspective is that young teens want to be given adult respect. They are impatient to grow up, they can't wait to be 16 and get a car, can't wait to be 18 and a legal "adult", can't wait to be 21 and old enough to buy alcohol (legally, anyway). In this time, they want to be seen as young adults, not children, and so they shun media, games, and activities that are associated with children. I remember walking in on my girlfriend's 14 year old brother as he was watching Thundercats, and he quickly changed the channel so we wouldn't catch him watching a "kid's cartoon". I imagine older high school Harry Potter fans probably catch a wee amount of ridicule from certain peers for reading a "kids book". This is just the way the world works.

But anyhoo, these are the reasons "dark" is considered "better" because some people assume "dark" = "more adult". The older you get and the more you live, the more you realize this just isn't so. "Not appropriate for children" doesn't mean "more adult". I've seen some horror films as childish and immature as Barney Goes to Pillow Land. I've seen some family films with more truth, skill, and grace than many serious dramas.

Besides, Prisoner of Azkaban isn't the "darkest" Harry Potter book -- Order of the Phoenix is, and Azkaban remains the favorite of the majority of Potter fans, not Phoenix. Dark does not mean "better", it just means dark.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
I like how you differentiated between being dark and scary, and being mature. The one thing that sticks with me about the maturity of book three is that I finally felt real sorrow in Harry for having not known his parents and his desire to be with them, or to be like them. Thats what was mature. Putting a bunch of dark scary things in a movie will not necesarily make it mature (aside from scaring some of the youngest viewers). It is going to come down to Harry's (Daniel Radcliffe) performance.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for that intelligent follow-up, Ernest!:emoji_thumbsup: I'm glad you appreciate the distinction, and you expressed it much more eloquent perspective than my own.

Steven_V

Stunt Coordinator
ABC TV will show a 10 minute sneak peek of POA on May 9th:
The telecast itself will present an extended version of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, including materials not seen in the original theatrical release. And by exclusive arrangement, at the conclusion of the broadcast, ABC will air a 10-minute sneak peek at the highly anticipated third film in the blockbuster Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, opening in theatres on June 4.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
No clue if it will be shown in the UK. I'll definitely check it out, if only to see how good it looks in HD :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw the new trailer on TV tonight, and Alfonso Cuarón has given the film a real "on the edge" feel to it, and I'm actually looking forward to this installment (the previous didn't do all that much for me, but I think the direction will win me over in the 3rd installment).

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The preview was great. The banter between the kids felt a little stiff, but they were cool nonetheless. Cuarón comes across as extremly quirky, but very likable, and I liked how he praised Chris Columbus (which was to be expected in a promo piece, but it was nice to hear after so many people have torn Columbus' work on the series apart). Michael Gambon looks more like Ian McKellen as Gandalf than like Richard Harris as Dumbledore :D
As for the film itself... HOLY CRAP. The Dementors... Buckbeak... Sirius... WORMTAIL!!!! Everyone and everything exceeded my expectations. This could be my favorite film of the year right here :)
Downloading the Japanese trailer now...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Wow, what a trailer. I'm almost anticipating this more than my upcoming trip to Europe :)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The Japanese trailer OWNS!!!! THAT'S the kind of material (and music!) I was hoping for in the American one. Holy crap!! :D
*qeues up already* :D

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'm really looking forward this one. I've never read any of the books, and the first one was good fun if a little generic feeling and not really astounding, and I haven't seen the second one aside from a few minutes (guess I'll have to rent) but the artistry in this one just feels really good.

Maybe I should read the books.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Definitely read the books. They add a lot to the films, even though the first two, like the movies, are pretty straightforward affairs. But they're very much worth the read anyway.
As for Azkaban... The book completely obliterates the first two, in story, structure, character development, depth... And it looks as though the film version will do the same :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As for Azkaban... The book completely obliterates the first two, in story, structure, character development, depth... And it looks as though the film version will do the same
After just reading it, I agree. She really nailed that book.

BTW, thanks for the link. That Japanese trailer was excelent!

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks