What's new

Harry Potter 3 packaging question (1 Viewer)

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
The theatrical box office for these movies keeps dropping. Maybe Warner Bros. is trying to make sure the same thing happens with their DVD sales!

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Before:
DVD Community: "I sure wish Warners would begin using keepcases!"

Now:
DVD Community: "I sure wish Warners would stop using keepcases!"

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
are you insinuating that there are flip-floppers among us?(never mind "flipper" discs!) haha, ahh I slay me...

This is the first film in the series that I will actually be buying so no complaints from me. It is, however, rather silly to switch packaging styles midway through the series.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Never bought the first two because I didn't care for them. Got married since then and my 9 year old son loves them! Took him to see Prisoner of Azkaban and absolutely loved it. Will be buying the three pack. Is the three pack just a repackaging of the first two (with all supplement intact) and the new disc?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Both previous Potter films came in digi packs, so I hardly see how this makes any sense. I'm glad Warner switched to keep case - however the previous Potter files where Neither in the old paper cases or the newer keep cases.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
The Swedish R2 edition of the latest Potter film will be a digipack. But the re-releases of the two first will only be keepcases.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I agree that inconsistent packaging among series sucks.

Warner pulled this before with "The Matrix." The first one was in a snapper, and the other two were in keepcases.

And Fox with "X-Men." The first (both releases) were in Digipaks, while the second one came in a keepcase.

Mark Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
HP: POA arrived at work the other day and before I locked it in the cage I checked to see how the 3-pack was packaged. I was HOPING that the first tw films would have been repackaged in keep cases but they aren't. They remain in digipacks while the third is a keepcase. :frowning:

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I have a minor point to make - some one here mentioned they already have the disc -
1. Hows the transfer?
2. are the supplements any good(most ofthe supplements on these discs haven't been much of anything!!)
3. Can you talk about how this release is?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

I just received the screener yesterday and I am presently working on the review which I hope to have posted by tomorrow or early Monday at the latest.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I didn't catch this in theaters, but loved the first two. I cna't wait to see this one, screw what kind of case it's in! It would be nice to have all films from a series in the same style of packaging...but when I want to see a movie...it's what's on the disc that really counts.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor

That was a joke, son!

Although someone above mentioned a friend who was going to buy the three pack to get them all in keepcases. Turns out they've kept the original packaging for the first two, so that's a lost sale there.

Regardless of the packaging, I'm not sure if I'm buying this. I think it's the weakest of the three films.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'm glad I didn't put the first two up on e-bay yet. I was planning to replace them with the three-pack, but since the packaging won't be consistent, I'm not going to replace the first two. I too thought the third film was the weakest link, and so I won't be buying this one at all. I only wanted to buy it if it meant I could have consistent packaging. Yes, packaging matters! Would you buy a car with a 8-cylinder engine if it looked like a pinto? Of course not. So why can you refuse to buy a DVD because of the case it comes in, if you can refuse to buy a car because of the case (body) it comes in?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Poor analogy. A car's body is as much a part of the whole as the engine, seats, and sound system. They're all factors when making a choice. A DVD's box is not an integral part of the actual product, which is the movie itself. We should be buying films, not boxes.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
according to a friend who works at MVC in the UK: the UKR2 will be an amaray as well (previous editions have been in digipacks).

HTH

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas

Just because you don't care what packaging a disc comes in doesn't mean everyone else should feel the same. :frowning:

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
He's not saying everyone else should feel the same, he's just saying that it's the one thing that has the least effect (if any at all) on the movie itself. It's like deciding to watch a movie in a theater based on the poster or cardboard cutout. If that was the case, I'd never have seen "Army of Darkness" or "Shawshank Redemption". You're welcome to judge and/or buy the release on packaging, but in the end it's usually just the disc(s) that are worth it. Personally, I thought this was the strongest of the three films (and books), and the director "matured" the films very well. I'd get this if they just threw the discs in a couple of jewel cases bound with rubber bands;).

I'm no fan of Digipaks, since they tend to fall apart or get damaged on a fairly regular basis. I've already started replacing the LOTR EE Digipaks with custom covers in 4-disc keepcases, and they look very nice, with the added benefit that if I wanted to sell them down the line, the original boxes will be in good condition. If necessary, that's what I'll do with my current releases of HP.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
The R2 version is an amaray though it does have an insert inside

Disappointed with the extras yet again. With Cuaron at the helm I was hoping for something a bit more substantive. The deleted scenes are largely slight extensions of existing scenes and last for about 2 minutes in total. The interview with Cuaron and Rowling is of the "he's great/she's great" variety with a couple of "its going to have a great payoff in the future but we cant tell you about it".

The only substantive extra for me was Johnny Vaughn (UK people will know who he is) interviewing most of the cast for about 40 minutes in total. Its mainly aimed at younger viewers and for the majority is about the Harry Potter experience as a whole rather than this specific film though not completely. Questions like "What would be your favourite maguc spell" or "What would you see if you saw a Boggart (sp?) " But its better than the rest of the extras

I really wish WB would take a leaf out of Disney's book and provide a single DVD aimed for younger viewers with a more substantial 2 disc DVD for older viewers. This is the first Harry Potter film that I have really enjoyed and I was hoping for a bit more.

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
Both Hollywood video and Blockbuster had previously viewed copies of the first to HP films and they came in amaray double cases including warner produced cover art to match. They match exactly with the latest release so I'm happy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks