What's new

Harry Dean Stanton Dies at 91 (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
His recent appearances on Twin Peaks: The Return were one of the highlights in a show filled with highlights. Stanton exuded warmth and decency in that performance, and I was absolutely delighted that what I had imagined would be a mere cameo turned into a really touching supporting role. I've enjoyed his work in many things over many years, but there's something about his performance in Twin Peaks this year that is going to stick with me for a long time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
He was fantastic in Twin Peaks this summer. He had a heckuva career- from a zillion TV shows in the golden age to Cool Hand Luke, The Godfather Part II, Alien, Escape From New York, Christine, Repo Man, Pretty In Pink and all those David Lynch movies (Wild At Heart, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, The Straight Story and Inland Empire). That's a really cool filmography.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
all those David Lynch movies (Wild At Heart, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, The Straight Story and Inland Empire).

The Straight Story... man, he's in it ever so briefly, but the casting was absolutely perfect, and his scene is so wonderfully moving. As I was watching the movie, I was loving it and at the same time unsure about how I'd even want it to end... and then Stanton appears, and it's like "that! that's how this should end!"

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A wonderful character actor, who did great work in so many things. The one that stands out the most to me is his role on "Big Love" as the polygamist "prophet" Roman Grant.

"No movie featuring either Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmet Walsh in a supporting role can be altogether bad."
- Roger Ebert's Stanton-Walsh Rule​

His recent appearances on Twin Peaks: The Return were one of the highlights in a show filled with highlights. Stanton exuded warmth and decency in that performance, and I was absolutely delighted that what I had imagined would be a mere cameo turned into a really touching supporting role. I've enjoyed his work in many things over many years, but there's something about his performance in Twin Peaks this year that is going to stick with me for a long time.
It's truly amazing how many great actors who have passed away recently got a showcase in the new "Twin Peaks". Thank God Lynch et al. didn't wait any longer to make it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...Well, shit.

Damn. At this point, I've made peace with the fact that everyone involved with Twin Peaks: The Return will apparently be dead by the end of the year. Rest in peace, Harry.

(Are there GYPSY DILDO PUNKS in heaven?)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My earliest remembrance of him was a small part in Pork Chop Hill. I think the first movie at a movie theater that I viewed him in was Cool Hand Luke. May he R.I.P.

Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Somehow I thought that this legendary actor was immortal. I saw him for the first time when I saw Alien during its original theatrical run in 1979. One of my all-time great art-house movies while I was a student was Paris, Texas. Think I'll just have to have a double bill of those two today. Oh - and Repo Man at midnight.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/harry-dean-stanton-dead-paris-texas-star-91-766020
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/harry-dean-stanton-dead-celebrities-react-1202560766/

Last edited:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Very sad to hear of Harry Dean Stanton's passing - always made a very positive impact in everything he appeared in. Loved him in Twin Peaks, Alien, Paris, Texas, Escape From New York and my personal favorite of all his work The Straight Story.
Deepest condolences to his family, friends and fans. Rest in peace Mr Stanton.

Regards,

Reactions: PMF

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I should point out that Stanton's final film, Lucky, hits theaters in two weeks, and he's the bona fide lead. And David Lynch is in it:

It really shouldn't surprise me that a funny-looking guy like Stanton was hooking up with women like 20-year-old Connelly and De Mornay, but I like to think he did it just to spite all the '80s and '90s boys who grew up on them. I love it.

And a beautiful video from Madchen Amick:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZFwkZjnd9v/

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
He was a true "Everyman" actor. He seemed down to earth, and authentic in every role he played.

He was also a TV western guest star on so many series.
I'm going to have shuffle through my DVD sets of Laramie, Rawhide, The Virginian, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza to see his roles. I can't seem to recall him in any of them.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
"No movie featuring either Harry Dean Stanton or M. Emmet Walsh in a supporting role can be altogether bad."
- Roger Ebert's Stanton-Walsh Rule​

one of the few that, that statement holds true about. what could be said , just look at the body of work, and the Directors that used his skills, Carpenter, Coppola, Lynch, Scott, Rosenberg,Scorsese, Peckinpah is just as a short list and you can see the natural gift that he had, not the star past his prime, that went in to character pieces, but the other way around, and one of the few that i always looked forward to seeing even for the briefest of moments, in the wink of an eye he cold steal a scene, one line in "The Avengers" nails it, talking to Bruce Banner after the fall and crashing in a building laying naked, he throws him some clothes and ask some questions then simply states Well, son you have a condition. just perfect

RIP

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks