Harper Valley P.T.A. botched dvd release

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ron Lee Green, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I just got the recently released dvd version of this movie and I am very disappointed--not with the movie itself (which I love)--but the dvd.

Instead of Widescreen, which was its original theatrical release format, the makers of this dvd decided to release this as full screen.

As most of you know, the shape of a movie screen is different than a TV screen. Rather than pan and scan, the movie is stretched and squeezed so as to fit everything on the screen. As a result, the actors look slightly elongated.

This could of been a perfect release because the image is very sharp and clear, and colors are bright and crisp.

The dvd is released by HBO Home Video--not Warner Home Video as reported in Amazon's product details.

2. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Unless I'm misreading your post, I'm perplexed.

My DVD is wide screen and trust me, I'm not imagining those black bars and I didn't see any elongating effect.

3. DeanWG

DeanWG Stunt Coordinator

Sounds to me like someone has been playing around with the DVD Player settings![​IMG]

Check to make sure that your DVD Player settings are set to match your TV dimensions. What you're describing is often what is seen on 4:3 televisions when a Anamorphic DVD is being played with the player set to 16:9 mode.

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Yup, your player is set wrong. My DVD is fine.

5. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

Okay, I feel stupid.

With apologies to HBO Home Video and whoever else I cursed, You guys are absolutely right!

It was my settings, which I've never bothered to touch or change for years and always kept on 16:9. I never experienced any problems until now.

In a way I'm glad I complained, because if I didn't, I would never know. Thanks, guys, for responding and setting me straight.

Now I have to watch it all over again in the correct aspect!