What's new

Harmony remotes - I should have listened! (1 Viewer)

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I should have gone with the advice to get a theatre master. But the local store near me had the Harmony. Its expensive (at $329.00 CAN) and works off the net. However I was not told that certain cable companies configuations are not compatible, and as a result I spent my first night trying to download info. that was impossible to get. Of course the help phone line is out of the east and closed for the night. Even e-mailing this company proved difficult.When I finally got through and programmed the thing, a lot of stuff was missing. (eg. no programability through my VCR - even though the machine is brand new, no random key for my CD player, which I love, etc. Now it is possible to get this, but you should see the hoops that must be jumped through. And I started thinking I just paid over $300.00 for this misery? I coulg go down to Radio Shack and pick up a $50.00 special with less headaches. Beware!

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Mine is on Ebay as we speak. I have the Harmony SST-768, and I was told it supports just about EVERYTHING - including my Lexicon DC-1. Well, it absolutely doesn't. It's a PITA to program it for each key, so I've given up on it. I don't have the time/effort anymore. Nice waste of money, IMO.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Yeah mine was the 745 - and your right, a computing science degree would come in handy. Mine is being returned today.

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I could not have had a more different experience with my Harmony remote. I got the 745. I plugged it in and within 30 min, it was controlling my entire system. I still had to spend a little time tweaking the commands, but it has been an absolutely amazing remote. I could not imagine going back to a 'device' based remote(although I do think a color screen pronto would be VERY cool).

One of the best things about this remote is ease of use. When my mom or sister comes over to visit, they can control my entire system and not know how to do anything. This remote seems perfect for visitors, kids, and spouses. Everything is very clearly labeled in the LCD screen. Too easy.

I feel badly that you guys had problems with your Harmony remotes. I feel absolutely liberated with mine. It is an amazing remote for me. I have literally been able to put away 7 other remotes and just use my Harmony. On a side note, whenever I have had a problem, Harmony's tech support has always answered my questions within 48 hours. I have never received the customer service like theirs from anyone else, ever. Truly a first class company.

Anyway, I have had really good luck with my Harmony remote and can recommend them without reservation.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I should be supporting Harmony as a Canadian company, but I can't. After all the time spent on the internet, and calls to their support, their component list seems only to have provided about half the commands for each remote I have. I mean come on, I couldn't even pprogram my VCR through this thing, without jumping through hoops. All my compnents are less than two years old. I took it back last night, picked up an RCA Hometheatre remote for a quarter the price, and was up and running in about a half hour. If you do take a chance and buy it, make sure it can be returned for a ful; refund.

Ron_L

Second Unit
I'm shopping for a remote and every shop I went to they were pushing this Harmony remote. I looked at it and it looks like a piece of shit. Maybe I'm biased because I want a pronto, but it doesn't float my boat.

I'm disappointed in A&B Sound, I'm never shopping there again. Their rude and uncompromising staff just did it for me today. I'm ordering the Pronto online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks