What's new
World Wide Stereo

harmony 670 vs 1000 help (1 Viewer)

dave_o

Auditioning
Real Name
dave
hey guys, i didnt know where to post this. but any ways
i have bought the 670 remote, and im really loving it, the best remote i have used, top notch easy to use. any ways i found a refurbished 1000 for 280$ at a website, is the 1000 worth the extra money, only problem i can see about it is the fact i have a small baby around the house and if he picks it up and drops it it can wreck the screen

so is the touch screen more of a gimmick, plus i will have family using it to so i want something easy to use. my family loves the 670, but for me i like the touch screen seems pretty cool

i might just wait and see what the have plan in 2009 and hold on to the 670

thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only thing I like about the 1000 is the RF feature. That means you can point it anywhere in the room and it will still work. The conpletely configurable screen is nice but I get the same with my 880. I didn't want the generic hard buttons of the other Harmony's that are labeled "Watch TV". I have 3 DVRs so any of them could be that activity.

-Robert

dave_o

Auditioning
Real Name
dave
ok thanks for the help, well im gonna take back my 670 and order the 880 online today. the batteries in my 670 died in 10 days, thats no good. the 880 looks nice and ive heard that its a little better the one.
yeah i know what you mean about watch tv watch a movie buttons kinda distracting.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have my buttons labeled "Watch HR20", "Watch HR22" and "Watch HD TiVo". That way you know exactly which DVR you are going to watch. Especially since I have each one dedicated to different networks to keep recording conflicts to a minimum.

-Robert

dave_o

Auditioning
Real Name
dave
well all i got is my tv, htpc, amp, xbox360, and my pvr. so setting up is very simple.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Pioneer 59txi I bought on Audiogon a few months ago came with a large screen remote. I know it's a 6 year old design but I immediately replaced it with an 880. It was just too large and cumbersome for normal use. I'm sure the Harmony 1000 is much better than the one that came with my Pioneer but I think you'll like the 880 even more.

The only thing I didn't like about the 880 is the buttons are small and simular. But after a short while your hand "learns" where everything is and it's not a problem anymore.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

I have the 670 and the 880. The 670 IMO is much better for every day use. We use it in the living room, because the feel of the buttons is much better. If you went through batteries in 10 days, they must have been old/defective batteries. We use our 670 constantly (wife doesn't work) and batteries last a long time (we only change them every couple of months - at most).

The only advantage to the 880 (other than the color screen which is more flair than function) is the backlight that comes on when the remote is picked up. That's why we use the 880 in the HT where it's almost always pitch black.

dave_o

Auditioning
Real Name
dave
well kevin the batteries i have used were the brand new ones that came with the 670, i think its bs that they only lasted 10 days, thats why im gonna go with the 880 one reason for the rechargable battery with the dock.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And I started out a few years ago with a DVR that had a 8GB. Now I have 1.2TB of storage spread among the three high def DVRs. Equipment has a habit of expanding as this hobby grows. The flexibility of the 880's screen has always kept up with equipment changes.

-Robert

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No telling how long they had sat on the shelf, before being sold. You should have tried one more set of batteries. My batteries last for months at a time, with heavy everyday use.

There are so many stories about how bad the charging station is for the 880. A lot of people are on their 3rd or 4th charger, and still having problems with them.

dave_o

Auditioning
Real Name
dave
yeah one of my problems is the environmental issues, id sooner use a remote with a internal rechargable battery. plus after lookin at 880 some more it looks much nicer then the 670

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale