What's new

Harmony 650 problems (1 Viewer)

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
Not sure if this is the right section if not please move. I have a harmony 650 i have ti set up to turn on and control my tv my dvr and my sound bar. im having some troubles with it. seems like everytime i have everything off and then i have something set to record and just the dvr turns on then when i turn everything on the dvr doesnt come on and have to hit help everytime. also now all of the sudden when i turn it on it turns the sound bar on and turns the surround sound on and it sounds horrible. i cant figure out how to keep it from cutting on. does anyone have any idea how to help on this?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Double check your activities to make sure you are not including things that shouldn't be included. Also, make sure you are holding the remote in a position that all of your devices can see it. And hold it long enough for the commands to complete.

Another thing to look at is the device settings - make sure the power commands are set to "power on" and "power off" (assuming your devices support this). I see sometimes the default is the "power toggle" which and have somewhat unexpected results.

I recently upgraded from the 650 (or 680???) to the Ultimate Hub. It is light years ahead of the 650. No longer do I have to hold the remote out in front of me and hope that no one (or no cat) crosses the beam and something gets missed. I highly recommend one of the new hubs.

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
if it was in the budget and the finacee would allow it i would of already had one. she got a lil upset i got this one lol ill double check that stuff tho.
thank you

bjballar41

Second Unit
Real Name
Brock
i guess mine doesnt support that stuff i dont see anything that looks out and the soundbar doesnt have the option checked

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Is your DVR a STB provided to you by a cable or satellite provider, or is it your personal standalone device (like a TiVo)?

If this is a STB/DVR provided by cable or satellite, just leave it on all the time. That's what I do with both of my STBs. Makes things a lot easier, IMO.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I've read "stuff" too... just as many sources say that cable boxes/DVRs draw practically as much power when they're turned "off" as when they're turned "on".

The only way to make sure it's not drawing power is to physically unplug it from the power outlet - which will mean the box has to "reboot" every time you plug it in.

Alternatively, you can remove the DVR/STB from the power up/activity macros on your remote, and instead have a separate button programmed to toggle power for the DVR. That way you can use that only when necessary.

Yes, it will complicate the activities a bit - but life is full of compromises.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It might cost $.30 a day(yes, there is a period in there) to leave the box on.It costs more than that, in power usage, to cook a box of mac'n cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks