Harmon Kardon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by john waring, Nov 1, 2001.

1. john waring

john waring Agent

Anyone familiar with the Harmon Kardon AVR 220? I saw it in the store but their website doesn't seem to have it on their products list. Was told it's the newer one.I'm guessing they haven't updated their site yet.

2. Nathan Pullar

I believe that it is just an AVR210 with Dolby Prologic II.
    The AVR 210 is a solid box but there is not much difference between it and the AVR 110 which is much cheaper. If I were you i would look at the AVR110 or AVR310 both of which are cheap now.
    As for buying the new models with Logic 7 on the AVRx10 you won't miss DPL-II.
    Nathan
    A very satisfied AVR 510 owner
    [Edited last by Nathan Pullar on November 01, 2001 at 01:32 PM]

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

It's one of the new receivers from HK's lineup and it looks awesome feature-wise. I have had several HK receivers and they're in the top tier of the best sounding receivers made today. This forum is not very friendly w/ anything that's not a Denon so don't expect alot of discussion or traffic related to anything HK. Oh well, HK fans know that it's their loss, and our gain.
    ------------------
    "What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.
    [Edited last by Kevin Alexander on November 01, 2001 at 01:25 PM]

4. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

I have a 110 which I love, but there is one HUGE difference between the 210(220) and the 110(120):
    pre-outs
    the 110 doesn't have them, and now I regret not spending the extra $100. When I want to get some le amps, i'm gonna need to scrap the reciever...

5. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I still have my old AVR25II. (retired to bedroom) Its about 10 years old and still sounds great. It won the sound test between the Denon I bought at another location two days earlier. Since then I have owned the AVR65 which was (IMO) rushed into production. After it was serviced it worked alot better. I think HK was caught with thier pants down when the fast paced digital formats started to snowball. The lastest offerings seem to be smoothed over and I would still recomend a HK if asked my opinion. Their amp sections never fail to impress me as far as intergrated recievers go.

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I've been trying to search for a bedroom receiver. One thing I need, though, is a second set of speaker terminals for another room. I did a search on Crutchield comparing the receivers I was considering (Denon 1802, Onkyo 595, HK220) and I noticed that the Crutchfield site said the 210 and 220 don't have B speaker terminals.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Aaron

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

If I was deciding on a receiver with Logic 7 vs. DPL II at less than $1000, I think it is probably a no-brainer to go with DPL II.
    Why? Mainly because of the cost of implementing Logic 7!! Also the fact that HK's Logic 7 is said to be a crippled version of Lexicon's full Logic 7.
    Logic 7 will require another 2 channels of amplification and another 2 speakers. And, according to listening tests in the Dolby labs site here in San Francisco with a non-Dolby employee HT experienced audience, the difference in sound enveloping capability between Logic 7 and DPL II was too close to call.
    DPL II also gets praise from many people when providing a simulated multi-channel experience from stereo sources (TV, cable, VHS, etc.)
    Just IMHO and to my ears.
    Bruce
    [Edited last by BruceD on November 02, 2001 at 09:49 AM]
    [Edited last by BruceD on November 02, 2001 at 09:50 AM]
    [Edited last by BruceD on November 02, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

8. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

10. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

About Logic7 vs DPLII.
    Logic7 in new HK receivers have four modes:
    Logic7 Cinema 5 - takes a stereo source, extracts 5 channels
    Logic7 Music 5 - takes a stereo source, extracts 5 channels
    Logic7 Cinema 7 - takes a stereo source, extracts 7 channels
    Logic7 Music 7 - takes a stereo source, extracts 7 channels
    The first two modes are comparable to the equivalent DPLII modes. Of course if the stereo signal was encoded with ProLogic, Logic7 will do even better. Just like DPLII.
    The cost of implementing Logic7 can't be all that great. It's a relatively old technology that is well understood.
    Logic7 DOES NOT require buying two additional channels of amplification if you don't want to use those two (7 channel) modes. You can stick to the 5 channel modes, which I currently have in my AVR500.
    And, to flip your last statement, while keeping true:
    Logic7 also gets praise from many people when providing a simulated multi-channel experience from stereo sources (TV, cable, VHS, etc.)
    Henning

11. Kevin Alexander

An accurate, balanced, and well done clarification. Way to go Henning!
    ------------------
    "What does God want with a Starship?" - Captain Kirk from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

12. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I have nothing against Logic7, it's just a fact that it's a proprietary system only offered by Lexicon and it's designed specifically for 7 speakers (even though you can use it with less). That means you take what Lexicon/HK gives you, because you can't go to another manufacturer. HK uses a somewhat less complete version of Logic7 than that offered by Lexicon itself, but follows the same line.
    With DPL II, which is based on a completely different algorithm architecture than all previous logic systems (DPL, six axis, and Logic7), you get a much larger selection of manufacturers to select from.
    I currently own HK equipment (a stereo receiver), and have nothing against them. I'm just pointing out the facts about selecting devices based on Logic7. If that's what one is looking for great, if not there are plenty of other options.
    Bruce

13. Kevin Alexander

14. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

A number of cogent and relavent comments by Charlie Wood quite aptly apply to this discussion;
    quote:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "Sorry, you don't quite have your facts right. PL2 IS NOT based on 6-Axis technology. 6-Axis, like Logic 7, uses similar concepts in detector, cancellation/steering circuitry. PL2 is a feedback concept, entirely different in topology."
    and
    quote:
    "It is completely different in terms of how the cancellation signals are generated. Patent applications have been filed by Dolby noting Jim Fosgate as the inventor with assignment to Dolby Laboratories. 6-Axis technology actually is capable, with some tweaking, to "walk and talk" like PL2 but not nearly as smoothly or with as high measured interchannel separation."
    I thought these were interesting details on how these various systems operate.
    Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but we should all be aware of as much information as possible.
    Bruce

15. GuyCrawford

GuyCrawford Auditioning

Back to the original subject, the HKs look really sweet, and are priced right. I look forward to hearing more about the 320 and 520. I would not mind having to add a 2 channel amp for the rear surrounds.
    ------------------
    A hopeless addict of this damn hobby.

16. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at the 520's .pdf file since I'm considering this box. Looks like there is no REC OUT selection option (i.e., limited to only recording the source playing). But you can select a sub crossover at 40, 60, 80, etc. Also looks like there are no Pro Logic II user tweakable settings. But it does have 7.1 pre-outs and Logic 7 for 5.1 and 7.1. I'm about to assign the old AVR80 to the bedroom.

17. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any solid information about the successors to the AVR7000? I heard rumours that there will be both a 7500 and 8000. Info about pricing and # of inputs (over that of the AVR520) would be great.
    This link has some info, but I don't know how accurate it is. It's a bit old and meant for a different market, I think.
    http://www.audioimports.com/newslett...y2001NewsL.htm
    Henning

18. Tuomas Maattanen

Tuomas Maattanen Auditioning

http://international.harmankardon.co...VR%208500.html

19. DougO

DougO Stunt Coordinator

I saw a NY shop selling a new AVR8000 on e-bay this week -- they say they have them in stock. I think the European model 8500 is equivalent feature-wise to the US model 8000.

20. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

In North America, the only quad-digit model is the 8000. I'm pretty sure all those other models are exactly the same as the 320 and 520 here. I'm not so sure the 8000 is shipping just yet, but it should be within the next couple of weeks.
    ------------------
    John Golitsis
    Next Big Thing Electronics