Harmon Kardon vs. Pioneer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter_James, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

Where I live, it is hard to find alot of receiver choices. Since I don't have a credit card, i cant buy off the Internet and im pretty much stuck to whats available locally. I am upgrading my Pioneer VSX-D606S soon. It sounds OK, but lacks DTS etc. It seems to have lots of power though. My questions are:

1. I have heard that the newer Pioneer receivers are not built as well, i.e not as much power (or accurate power specs.) I would be in the market for the Pioneer 711.

2. Harmon Kardon. I can find the AVR 125 for about the same price as the pioneer. Aside from thinking that it would be very cool to own an HK I have 2 problems with it. First, its rated at 50W per channel stereo and 45W DD. I mean, that sounds LOW!!! The pioneer I have now is 135W stereo and 100W DD. My second problem is that most of the posts on HTF seems to be about either pioneer or Onkoyo in this price range...and even Denon seems very popular. I was under the impression that HK made a very nice product. Is this no longer the case?

P.J.

2. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

Hi,
    I myself was shopping for the same A/V receiver as you which is the Pioneer 711 and I yet did not get to get to hear it. I looks great. I post some messages on here and even did forum searches on this same receiver and have not really found much on it.
    All in all what I can say at this time is I did settle for an ONKYO TX-SR500 over the Pioneer 711 and picked it up at my local Circuit City for $284.00 and the reason why is I got to hear the Onkyo in the sound room. What I can say about the Onkyo at this time is that it is extremely crisp clean sounds coming out of the speakers and I can crank it to the max and it would not over load or get hot (no distortion at any level) [​IMG] . The DTS, Prologic I and II and DD5.1 and all 5-speaker ON are really great features on it also. The remote was very easy to use and did not even have to read the manual to understand or to program it the way I intend to use it for. My A/V amp is used 98% for movies and 2% for music.
    As much as I can say that since you own an Pioneer product is I would highly recommend you give the 711 an chance and listen to it. I would not say that there equipment are cheap or anything.
    A place where I go to rear reviews if all possibable is at Circuit City website and read the consumer reviews and it gives me an idea what the product is all about.
    Here are some reviews that consumers say about the Pioneer 711 :
    http://www.circuitcity.com/frame1.js...ftchildcat.jsp
    Looks like it has a review of 4.7 out of 5 which is really good.
    Good luck.
    Mike

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

H/K still makes great products. I own an AVR320, and it hasn't even clipped or shut down on me once. The reason that the power ratings look so low on the H/K is that most other companies show what's usually the stereo power rating for all 5 speakers. My 320 is rated 55x5, but it easily beat my old Kenwood 100x5 and even a Sherwood 110x5 in power. There's lots of threads on the power rating games that companies play.
    On the question of price, well, you didn't specify a price and/or a store. Let us know what you're willing to pay and what's in your area. One thing to remember is price-matching. For instance, the AVR325 is $750 at Circuit City, but Costco's website and catalog list it as $500, and CC will match local stores.
    Finally, audition the receiver if you can. That way your ears can make the decision for you. For user reviews, try AudioReview.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Jesse, I think P.J. is located in Israel, so he won't have access to the stores that we have here--or the price-matching policies that go with them.

I can second the vote for H/K receivers--they're excellent for the money and produce fantastic sound, especially for music. If 2 channel music is less of a consideration for you or you're more focussed on home theater, and the Pioneer that you're looking at has a similar feature set, I'd just get whatever is cheaper. Good luck!

5. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Yesterday at Circuit City. I listened to the H/K 225,Onkyo 500 & the Kenwood 6070.
    The H/K had the best over all sound & it was the only one not connected to a subwoofer.
    The Pionner was not connected at all.
    Later on I'm going to buy the H/K 225.
    After I lick my wChristmas wounds.
    [​IMG]

6. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Thanks for the input guys! Yea, since I live in Israel, I don't get to go to Best Buy or CC anymore. [​IMG]
    Once consideration is that the pioneer has a learning remote on the 711, and I would have to get a higher HK to get a learning remote. I use the remote for my current receiver for EVERYTHING!
    Things here are more expensive too. The 711 is about $500 when translated into dollars! That is alot for that receiver!! Bummer for me.
    Anyway, thanks. P.J.