harmon kardon power ratings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KyleCT, Dec 23, 2003.

1. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

i was curious as to how h/k rates their amps. from what ive seen all their receivers apparently have a lower watts per channel rating but its a different rating than other recievers. how does this rating compare to other receivers?

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Specs have been abused by a lot of manufacturers as a marketing hook. Boosting the specs or the amp capability has been a comon practice by most manufacturers, and not all can deliver what they state. Harman Kardon is one company that always have rated their Recievers/Amps correctly and sometimes underated them.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Quote:
    from what ive seen all their receivers apparently have a lower watts per channel rating but its a different rating than other recievers. how does this rating compare to other receivers?
    It's just H/K being honest and my hat goes off to them for it. [​IMG]

4. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I bought HK just for this reason (well, and a few other reasons)...honesty

5. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

It would seem with all this "honesty" that Harmon Kardon is losing an awful lot of business. Quite frankly, I think their low power ratings are rather foolish. I'll bet 9 out of 10 people will go for the higher wattage rating by other manufacturers. To my knowledge all amplifiers are to be rated under very tightly defined parameters. There are no more ratings of an amps "peak" power as was done years ago. The RMS rating is a very accurate and reasonable way of rating an amplifier. I am not cutting down H/K, they make a very respectable product.

6. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Most manufacturers are reasonably honest about their single and two channel ratings. That implies they are more willing to spend money on the amplifiers section, but not necessarily on the power supply, to the point that they can offer the same (or slightly less) "all channels driven simultaneously" ratings as HK does. To me, if you are on a fix budget for an entry to mid level receiver, you can either go for a HK model, for their stronger "all channels driven" power, or for others that offer stronger amplifiers, i.e. 1& 2 channel numbers but weaker all channels number. You can get the best of both if you opt for the HKAVR7200, or the Denon AVR4802 (one may argue that the 4802 is too expensive to be considered "mid level").

7. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Just an observation, but there sure are alot of these threads about how H/K rates their amps - at least 1 per week if I'm not mistaken.

8. KyleCT

KyleCT Stunt Coordinator

alright sorry bout that, ill snoop around

9. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Regardless I haven't seen very many companies that are honest about power ratings. HK is one of the few.