What's new

Harmon Kardon dvd50 not reading discs - helllppp! (1 Viewer)

fernicus

Auditioning
Real Name
peter
just got a dvd50 used and it seems that some discs it willo read and others it wont' and it displays DISC ERROR in the display.
anyone have this problem before or know what I can do to solve it? thanks!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Peter

I am really sorry that you got a defective HK DVD player...HK does not do enough Beta Testing...and they have way too many software and hardware issues...some Minimalists and Purists recommend HK to innocent newbies...I do everything I can to protect innocent newbies and everyone else who is considering buying anything from HK...their receivers drop by more than 50% within a matter of a few months...there are a few people who don't understand and won't take the time to find out how little interest there is in HK receivers...even the Ascend Forum has only 5 out of 13 actual Ascend owners who have HK receivers...there is another forum for Minimalists and Purists like John Brill...all in good fun of course.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It might just need a laser re-alignment. Take it to a repair shop for a free estimate. Should be around $45-60 to fix, if that's the problem.

fernicus

Auditioning
Real Name
peter
hi, Arthur,
what do you mean, their recievers drop by more than 50%? You mean pricewise? I noticed since I first bought it that the sound level at the same number on the volume seems to have decreased in sound level for some reason but I thought it was just my ears.
I've always heard amazing things about HK and sad to hear what you just said. I may end up selling it and buying another instead but I love the reciever.
any recommendations for reciever versus price?
I'm going to get an estimate on the dvd50 but it will cost $20 is what the repair shop told me - maybe i'll hunt around for a better price. Really, just a realignment eh? Hope that that's it.
thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, that's what it was for my DVD 5. The estimate was free and the repair about $45 I think. This was about 4 years ago. I don't use it much but it matches my 520, 8380 cd and cdr 20 so I wanted to keep it. Your best bet is probably to just pick up something new, but it's for you to decide. Good luck!

fernicus

Auditioning
Real Name
peter
the repair quoted me that it was the laser that needed replacing and it would cost $175CDN +tax to repair it!! I was thinking trying a regular electronics repair to do it instead of one recommended by HK. Any thoughts from anyone? Also, thinking that if I buy the laser myself from this repair depot then I may be able to replace it myself.
Any thoughts where i can get the instructions to do it for my HK DVD50? Are all dvd players the same with this?
any help would be appreciated - would love to keep this player but not for $175!!!! :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm really sorry to hear it requires more than just an alignment. I've haven't seen much discussion about repairing things yourself around here, at least not in the forums I frequent. And I have no idea where to get parts for this stuff. Unless there is a reason you really want to keep it, I'd say put it out to pasture and pick up a new one. I do see used H/K DVD-5's and 50's on ebay once in awhile as well. But eventually you might be in the same position you're in now. Sorry I heven't been more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks