What's new

Harmon/Kardon AVR630 vs Denon 3805 (1 Viewer)

DanJV

Grip
Depends on what you want?

H/K has that warm sound and is very powerful. It will have the audio "drop out" problem when it changes decoding schemes, if that's an issue for you.

The 3805 will have a better AutoEQ, is probably a little less "beefy" in the amp section and will sound "drier" in comparison.

Pieter_V

Auditioning
In august I started exact the same thread as you did now.

In september, I bought the HK AVR-630 and I'm glad with it.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
At the price of the 630 in Canada you have many more options at the price point.

But I have to ask, can you be any more vague? What you asked is analogous to asking "Which is better, an apple, or an orange?".

D-E-T-A-I-L-S.

What are you looking for? What else is in your system? ETC ETC ETC...

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Oh yes, and if you haven't already, use the search feature on this site. You'll find tons of info and not have to wait for people to reply to this thread. Both of these receivers have been talked about relatively frequently.

Antonio_B

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Dan,in fact i'd like a receiver to deliver a warmer sound.

But in terms of sound quality,i tend to believe that the 3805 has a cleaner sound compared to the 630,am I right?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
What is a clean sound? Not warm i.e. neutral? If so, then that's where I'd probably put the Denon.

Investigate Pioneer Elite models...they're in your price range and "warm" as well...as are Marantz and NAD and Rotel and others.

Brack here in Toronto just had NEW RSX-1065 Rotels clearing out for $1999. Fantastic bargain.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
Although the Denon have higher power output than the HK. But it is the high current that makes the sound very dynamic and clean.

I have a friend that have a Marantz 8300 which is @ 120W per channel. It was still having trouble driving an 86 dB speaker. There is practically no sound coming out from it.
But my HK 525, which is @ 70 W per channel still sound much better than the Marantz when driving a 86 dB speaker.

Although, it still lacks the power to make the speaker shines. But this proof that power rating is not very important. It is the current that matters more. That is why, those heavy power amp output a great deal of current to drive the speaker.

DanJV

Grip
Antonio...if you like that warm sound, I'd opt for the H/K.

I had one of the current models (430? or 630?) while I was "in-between" AVRs. They are very powerful (much more than their stats indicate) and very musical.

DonJ

Second Unit
Actual power vs. Factory rate power… HK is very conservative when rating there receivers while most other manufactures overate there receivers (some by a lot). Also HK rates the receivers all channels driven most do just one.

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator
One thing to consider also is that the Denon has built in EQ. If you don't mind waiting the upcoming AVR635 supposedly will do auto EQ and channel setup as well

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I have to say this

I have owned an HK 525 (older brother of the 630) for the past year.

I have owned a Denon 3805 for the past 2 weeks.

I was concerned that the Denon would not have enough power. The 3805 is, to my ears, considerably more powerful than the 525 (though the 630 75 Watts x7 Channels, 90 Watts x2 is rated slightly more powerful than the 525 70 Watts x7 channels, 85 watts x2).

I was also concerned that the Denon would not be "warm" enough for me, as I have always loved the sound of HK. The 3805 sounds very rich and warm, though slightly less so than the HK. It is so much cleaner and quieter, that the difference in warmth is insignificant.

In short, I truly expected to be disappointed in the Denon and want to return it, but, unfortunately for my bank account, I will gladly keep it. It does everything the HK does and it processes the sound much better for home theater. This is not meant as a slam on HK, as I've been happy with the 525. My biggest complaint has been with that the 525 center channel seemed a bit harsh - so much so that I replaced my center channel speaker in order to tone it down. The Denon does a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks