Harmon Kardon AVR525

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mitch Crawford, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Mitch Crawford

Mitch Crawford Auditioning

I have a HK525 connected to a HK DVD50. If I am watching a movie and press pause, I loose the sound from the receiver when I press resume. I am at that point, forced to turn off the power on the receiver and restart the unit to get the sound back. What would cause this to happen.

I am running optical and comp. video from the DVD to the receiver. What could be happening?

Thanks

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Has this always happened or is this a new problem?

Carefully disconnect and re-connect your optical cable at both ends and make sure the plugs are seated firmly in their sockets.

Does your front-panel on the receiver tell you if it is seeing a "ProLogic" feed and it changes when a DVD movie actually starts to "DD" or "Digital" or "DolbyDigital"? If so, what does this display change to when you pause and then play again?

Go to the setup menu for the RECEIVER and see what the options are for detecting a optical signal. Sometimes you have choices like "PCM/Bitstream" (for CD players) "Dolby" (for DVD players) and "Auto" for auto-detect. You want to be sure to use the "Auto" so the receiver knows to scan the optical port and change as needed.

Do you have a spare set of L/R audio cables lying around? If so, connect these to the L/R ANALOG outputs of the DVD player and run them into a spare ANALOG input on the receiver. (Say the "Aux" input).

Fire up a DVD get to the middle and pause. Then play. When the sound is silent, grab the receiver remote and push "Aux" as the source. This tells the receiver to listen to the L/R analog feed. (Yes, you will loose the video). But do you hear sound with the analog? If not, then the problem is with the DVD player.

Can you switch to a coaxial cable? Use an inexpensive Video cable if you have one lying around.