What's new

Harmon Kardon AVR520 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
So I ordered and set up a surround sound system for my in-laws. This is to go with the Sony widescreen TV they bought a few months ago. We ended up getting the following:

HK AVR520
home theater direct level 3 'Z' package without the subwoofer, two Sony SA-WM40's
Panasonic RP82 DVD player

So initially when I set everything up I figured I would set the speakers to small with an 80 Hz crossover and let the subs handle all the low-end stuff. Then I noticed that you can set the speakers to large and still have the option of sending both LFE and main speaker info to the subs, this time with crossover options of 40 Hz and 60 Hz I believe. I would like to think the HTD towers can handle some of that bass, if I set the four towers as large and still send both main channel and LFE to the subwoofers, am I missing out on anything?

I tried it both ways and especially setting the surrounds to large makes a big difference in the sounds we were getting. Alot of the surround info in Star Wars: Ep. 1 sounded amazingly full with the speakers set this way.

This setup is really great, I am really amazed at how good it all sounds. I am thoroughly impressed with the Home Theater Direct speakers as well as the AVR520.

-Jeff Hunt

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

That's why I am a full tower fan. The flexibility of running towers all around as Large with the 40 or 60Hz X-over just can't be beat...Deep bass effects from the sub and powerful bass rumble from the towers. Great stuff.

DonJ

Second Unit
Hey Jeff

Really you are getting more by using the lower settings. you have the bass moving with the action instead of just filling the room. ie pod racer goes from left to right you get that sound moving with it instead of just being static.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks