Harmon Kardon AVR520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Yeatts, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I am considering purchasing a H/K AVR 520. Can any of you H/K owners out there tell me anything bad abou this product? Also interested in any good things you have to say.

TIA

2. Benji

Benji Auditioning

I got mine last week and love it. The unit has ample power and works flawlessly. No regrets whatsoever. Compared it to the 8000 which is obviously a better receiver, but at less than half the price, it is a no brainer!!

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Successively, I've had an AVR500, AVR310 and now AVR320 in my home in the last 3 years. They've all been great, but I'm happiest with the AVR320. There's just doesn't seem to be anything it doesn't do well.

4. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

Johnny, can i ask why you switched from the avr 500? it seems like it would be a downgrade from what you got next, or even have now.

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Hi Greg,I own the AVR510 and I love it.Other than the unit getting very warm when I use it I've enjoyed countless hours listening to music and DVD's.Don't sweat the H/K getting warm...all high-current receivers will.If you plan on using additional amplifiers in the future then you will make great use of all those pre-outs.Good Luck...

6. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

I have had the 520 since January and it is simply amazing. Everything it does, it does them wonderfully. The only real drawbacks are:
    1) No DD-EX--not a major problem, but I would still like to hear TPM in DD-EX the way it was meant to be.
    2) The binding posts are not standard-spaced (they are different from most speaker binding posts). If you have the double-banna plugs (2 plugs molded together), you will need to (creatively) break them apart.
    3) Logic7 works only on stereo sources on this unit. Again, no big deal, just something to keep in mind.
    4) The beast is HUGE. I have it placed on top of my rack because it will not fit inside on the shelves. This is actually a good thing, since I have no heat problems what so ever. It has all the air it needs. [​IMG]
    I am so in love with this unit, I just ordered the H/K PA2000 power amp to run the rear surrounds and sell off the old receiver I was using to run them.

7. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree. I have had the 520 for about 2 weeks. It is a great receiver. My only concerns have to do with build quality. I had to take back my first unit because the center channel was defective. While I was in the store, another customer was returning another H/K receiver (not the 520). Hopefully I won't have any more problems. I am thinking about buying the service plan from Circuit City just in case.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Andy, I'm an H/K dealer and when the x10 series started shipping, the 310 came in first and I had a customer waiting for my AVR500. Same thing happened with the 320.

Overall, I find that the 320 is completely capable of driving my system to the same bearable levels as the 500 did. The 500 just had more room left on the volume control. There is the odd time though, like when we're having a party and and the AVR is in 5-Channel stereo mode, that the extra power might come in handy.

9. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I like this unit very much although I did have a couple of issues. The first 520 I bought, after about two weeks the backlight on the remote quit working. I tried to get a new remote through warranty but they wanted me to go through so much BS in the end I just returned the whole damn thing and got a new one. Then I had a problem where the reciever would just shut off all the time. I was not pushing it hard, it had plenty of air, and it wasn't the sleep timer. It would just shut off after being on for an extended period. So I returned that one too. I am now on my third reciever and so far so good. Besides these problems I've had, I do like this reciever very much.

Rob

10. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

RobP: about that shutting off issue; i think i had the same problem, but only when I was plugging my CD player into the switched outlet on the back of the H/K. after plugging the CD player directly into the surge strip, it stays on indefinitely.

11. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

12. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

well, some of them work. really good surge strips, like APC and even some of radio shack (usually over $30) _do_ provide good protection from spikes (and henceforth have a $5000 or $10000 guarantee) but for conditioning you need a standby UPS or "conditioner". they work well and cost a lot and make you equipment last longer.