1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Harmon Kardon AVP-2 Home Theater Dolby Processor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, May 23, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Look here for item and payment info: http://www.kgjack.com/avp2.htm
    This unit was made for HK by Fosgate and is identical to their comparable model.
    $60 plus actual shipping costs.
    I have a perfect Ebay rating of 81 positives and 0 negatives where I sell as govtdog.
    If you have any questions, get back to me at [email protected]
    Thanks for your interest!
    Take Care,
    John Morris

2. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Would this be true dd ex if used? How do you do it? i amy be interested if you can help me with these ?'s

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Kevin: Thanks for your interest!
    All DD-EX is just 5.1 DD with a matrixed rear center channel(s). It is created by taking the two rear channels and deriving a center rear channel from those channel. You can D-I-Y DD-EX by using any DPL receiver/pre-pro, with 3 channel DPL decoding, and plugging the two rear side outputs into that unit's front L,R channels. You then take the unit's center channel output to use as your new center rear channel. For regular 5.1 listening, the additional DPL receiver/pre-pro must have a bypass mode so that the rear side channels pass through unprocessed when wanted.
    If you have any other questions, get back to me.
    Take Care,
    John

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Price Reduced!

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Price was reduced to $60 plus shipping.

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

John, here's the questions I have. First, do I need an amp or receiver for this to work. I currently have a Kenwood 106VR for DD-EX and DTS-ES. The kenwoood works fine but I'm wondering if sending the signal through the HK and then to the kenwood would make a difference in sound quality. Or does it have power like the JBL you have for sale and can be used without a power amp source.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Jerome: As much as I'd like to sell this unit, I can't recommned passing the signal through the HK to the Kenwood unless you are using a 5/6 channel bypass passthrough on the Kenwood. Also, the HK does NOT have any onboard amplifiers. The only reason to use the HK unit in your situation would be for the music and DSP modes which Fosgate does so well.
    If you have any other questions, get back to me.
    Take Care,
    John