Harmon/kardon as good as the sales man made it sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RodNoble, Oct 13, 2002.

1. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

I was looking into a new reciver.. and i was looking into harmon/kardon.. i dont remember the model, but i belive it was there second model up.. about $750 Canadian retail... and it looks nice, sounds great and nice features... but, there was also a JVC that was about $400 retail with pretty much all the same features i want, a few video inputs and suround etc... we spoke about the amp's in the HK and how it puts out more power etc.. blabla, you know.. I just cant see if its worth the extra 300 bones. I have no home theater junky.. i mean, i like the nice stuff.. but i dont need the complete top of the line.. i want all the features and it to sound good..
    bottem line, do i need to go with the high end name... is it that much better...
    I am also open to any other ideas, JVC and HK are just the brands this retailer was dealing in.

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

The HK will be worth the extra money IMO. I honestly think that they are the most musical line of receivers currently produced.
    Check out harmanaudio.com for some deals on refurbs straight from the factory.
    -rob

3. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Rod,
    the general feeling around here is that H/K makes some of the best receivers for the price range. It has wonderful amp power and provides excellent 'musicallity.' Off hand, I'd say it'd definitely be worth the extra 300 greens (is Canadian money green? [​IMG] ).

4. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

HK is second to none in terms of pure sound quality for the $ spent. That's my opinion. Other reciever might do other things better, but HK's just plain sound good.

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Rod,

Did you actually give a listen to both of the receivers? Everyone here can tell you HK is better, etc. etc. but if you listen to both and hear no difference of even think the JVC is better sounding, I would purchase the cheaper unit and sink the savings into another component. One thing to note, HK the past couple of years seem to fail more then most receivers (at least they are talked about alot on these borads for their failures).

Still I wouldn't limit yourslef to just the brands this one dealer was offering. CHeck out Denon, Pioneer Elite, Onkyo, and Sony ES as well if they are available in your area. If doing 5.1 is your thing, most quality receivers perfrom the job pretty well.

J

6. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Well, Rod, what kind of speakers do you have? If you're not heavy into HT or music, then most likely you don't have very good speakers to go with your receiver. In that case, a better receiver would not get a chance to shine in your system.

My vote is also with the H/K but for $350 CN more, I think it really comes down to how the rest of your system is going to match up to the receiver. If all you're after is the 5.1 format of DD or DTS, I am sure the JVC with a digital connection to it is not going to be too disappointing.

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Rod:

We can't tell you if the extra money is worth it; if there's no audible difference on your end, then I'd save the money for DVD's.

So, listen and learn.

--AM

8. RodNoble

RodNoble Agent

my speakers are old paradigm 7se mk2's there alright.. but old..
    and for suround i have a bunch of kinda cheapo technics speakers... but those will be upgraded.. in time.. I think i am going to go and take another look at them.. give them a good listen, and if i cant hear any diffrence with my ear, i think it will be the jvc.. all i need is something that me and my girlfriend can watch DVD's and i think that will work fine...

9. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Make sure to buy where you can return within 30 days or so. By one, play it, turn it up, turn it up some more, check the sound quality at these volumes, if you like it keep it, if you're still not sure, take it back and audition the other one, do the same thing, make the decision after your ears decide.

Otherwise, think about this:
    The options you want count a lot in your search for a new receiver. Do you want 6.1, 7.1, or will 5.1 suffice? Do you pre-ins? Pre-outs? Plan to upgrade the unit and use it as a preamp? Want it for HT? Music? Both? More HT than music? All of these factors should be considered. Could make you crazy, right?

My opinion:
    I had an old Technics receiver- thought it was great until I brought home my HK 225. Wow! My cousin came over and said "She sounds like she's in the room singing." (I think Tracy Chapman was playing.) HK rates their receivers at true power ratings unlike many others. The sound quality and warmth of this receiver is increadible.
    But that's just my opiion. Look at Denon also, especially for HT use. It sounds like you do want to upgrade, so I would go with the higher quality unit.

Good-luck!

10. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I like my H/K 120 I bought just a week ago for $200 at harmanaudio.com. It sounds great for the money!! [​IMG]

11. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Jose:

Any thoughts on the 225's power?

--AM

12. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Angelo,
    I sit only 9-10 feet away from my speakers which are 6-7 feet apart from eachother. The HK 225 has the same power rating as the 320, so for me it's fine. When I first got the 225 I was concerned because it didn't get louder as quickly as my old receiver did; however, as I turned up the knob on the 225 I realized that it was able to belt out enough juice for my needs and the sound quality was outstanding at these party levels. I use it mostly for music and use 2 channels with vmax far for HT. I'm about to get surrounds, a center, and a sub, so we'll see how it works out with all channels driven. I don't play it anywhere near reference unless there's a big bash. When we watch a dvd, there is always a little one sleeping, so I'm limited to the amount of HT fun I can have on a day to day basis . Thus far, I play it at about -30 during a film. I'm waiting for the -10 to 0 day to come [​IMG]

13. Tom Camlioglu

Tom Camlioglu Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    I got a wicked deal on the H/K 8000 after shooping around and getting 2 dealers to throw mud agianst each other. The competition is fierce as a lot of higher end shops (and .. of all places Future Shop!) carrying the H/K line. I got my reciver on a wicked deal and also got an "unlimited" - no questions asked 5 year transferrable warranty thrown in.
    (And it is "unlimited.. 'cuz I already used it !! [​IMG]
    You'd be best to shop around and get that dealer to price match (or better).
    For the money, you can't go wrong with H/K. I used to only buy Japanese (Yam DSPA1, Denon 5700, 5800).. until a friend told me to take a look at Harman. Sold!! with very little hesitation. Definitely a decision I never looked back on.
    Tom [​IMG]

14. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

15. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

H/K or NAD are the only to recievers for me. They just sound the best in music no only HT.