Harmon Kardon 520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Kolinski, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

I have been hearing a lot of stories of right rear shannel
    inop in Logic 7 mode lately.I dont have mine running the 7 speaker setup so I dont know if mine is affected.Is it just some of the 520's or do all of this model have this flaw?

Greg

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

From what I've read, not all models- but some models. The good news is that if your 520 has this problem- HK may offer to upgrade your 520 to the 525. I know this has happened to a member here on the forum. So hope you don't have the problem...hope you do have the problem...er...hope it works out for you.[​IMG]

3. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

so its not like a bad production run,just hit and miss?Some work some dont?

4. Hal_J

Hal_J Agent

mine's fine. im wondering if we all shared S/N's if we would learn about builds. obviously the companies do this, and if they find that all the ones made in such and such a week have a broken right rear channel, someone figures out why...
    or possibly we dont have enough of us to see any trends...
    as an engineer, i find the biggest problems with *my* designs begin the day the mfg folks get ahold of it... [​IMG]

5. Dave Jewett

Dave Jewett Agent

Mine has the bug, manufactured in Feb. 2002... I do get some sound from the SBR channel, but it's all low frequency. I'm planning on calling them about it this week.

For those that have the 520, you can test for the bug by disconnecting the jumpers from one of the channels (I used the FR and input) and connecting an RCA cable from the SBR preout to the FR main input. If you have the bug, you'll either hear nothing from the FR channel, or you'll hear just low frequency sound.

Dave

6. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

I have a 320 and have the problem. I haven't bothered contacting HK about it since I don't use it. I just hooked the SBR out to my powered computer speakers to test. Mine has a manufacture date of April 2002.

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Dave, are you talking about going into the unit to test? If so, this may void your warrenty- careful, especially if HK might upgrade you to the x25 model otherwise.

8. Dave Jewett

Dave Jewett Agent

Jose,

No, you can test for the bug without opening the unit if you have a 520, since it has Main Inputs. There are jumpers connecting the main ins to the corresponding preouts on the back of the unit, so you can disconnect one and use that main input to power the SBR channel temporarily. I found that the test tones in the setup menu worked OK, as did 7 channel stereo, but in Logic 7 mode I got very little sound from the SBR channel.

At this point I only have 5 speakers and a sub hooked up but I'd planned on going to 7.1 in the future so I need to get it fixed or replaced, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it...

Dave

9. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Yes, I would get it corrected also- the upgrade path must be clean- even if it's just potential sound for now- one never knows about the later.

10. Greg Stamm

Greg Stamm Auditioning

Mine also has the problem - not sure if I'm going to get it fixed.

One thing to note is that if you accept an upgrade to the AVR-525, the 525 doesn't have MAIN IN's, I don't believe.

Greg

11. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Well poo, I didn't know this affected the 320s also, but now I find that my 320 is bad. Pretty sure I won't use this feature, but I hate giving money to companies that keep putting out defective product. Decisions...decisions.

Are the two back surrounds in Logic 7 supposed to be mono, or do they have different content?

12. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

The back surrounds in Logic 7 are stereo. The DTS-ES is mono which is why I think that works but Logic 7 doesn't.